Installing new front fork...

Karl

Guest
Hi. I ride a KNS Town and Country bicycle. I am thinking of replacing
the front fork with one that has shock absorbers on it. I'm wondering
if any of you can advise me on the feasibility of doing so.

Also, is there any real advantage of replacing the old style caliper
brakes with the new disc brakes?

I ride my bicycle on rural country roads, some of which can be pretty
rough, which is why I'm thinking of replacing the fork.

Please send any message to [email protected] as I don't often get a
chance to check into the group. Thank.
Karl Dolgener

On Aug 29, 9:33 am, Karl <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi. I ride a KNS Town and Country bicycle. I am thinking of replacing
> the front fork with one that has shock absorbers on it. I'm wondering
> if any of you can advise me on the feasibility of doing so.
>
> Also, is there any real advantage of replacing the old style caliper
> brakes with the new disc brakes?
>
> I ride my bicycle on rural country roads, some of which can be pretty
> rough, which is why I'm thinking of replacing the fork.
>
> Please send any message to [email protected] as I don't often get a
> chance to check into the group. Thank.
> Karl Dolgener

Not familiar with that particular bike, but you could probably get a
sus fork on there. If you can get fatter tires on that bike, that
would be an easier solution, but you may have tried that already.

Disc brakes will perform better in wet conditions.

Chris

"Karl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I ride a KNS Town and Country bicycle. I am thinking of replacing
> the front fork with one that has shock absorbers on it. I'm wondering
> if any of you can advise me on the feasibility of doing so.
>
> Also, is there any real advantage of replacing the old style caliper
> brakes with the new disc brakes?
>
> I ride my bicycle on rural country roads, some of which can be pretty
> rough, which is why I'm thinking of replacing the fork.
>
> Please send any message to [email protected] as I don't often get a
> chance to check into the group. Thank.
> Karl Dolgener

You will need a suspension fork with 80mm travel or less, otherwise it will
mess up the bike's geometry and even contribute to weakening the headtube.

To get disc brakes, you will need to change brake levers, get new
disc-compatible wheelset, disc calipers and discs. If I had to do all this
for an about-towner, I personally would not bother and just get a new bike.

On Aug 29, 9:33 pm, Karl <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi. I ride a KNS Town and Country bicycle. I am thinking of replacing
> the front fork with one that has shock absorbers on it. I'm wondering
> if any of you can advise me on the feasibility of doing so.
>
> Also, is there any real advantage of replacing the old style caliper
> brakes with the new disc brakes?
>
> I ride my bicycle on rural country roads, some of which can be pretty
> rough, which is why I'm thinking of replacing the fork.
>
> Please send any message to [email protected] as I don't often get a
> chance to check into the group. Thank.
> Karl Dolgener

Gee Karl, I'd nix the idea of modifying your present bike. Your bike
sounds like it came out of some big discount store. It would probably
be more cost effective to just go out and buy a new MTB with disk
brakes. They can be had for less than a hundred bucks at places like
WalMart.

Kenny? wrote:
> Gee Karl, I'd nix the idea of modifying your present bike. Your bike
> sounds like it came out of some big discount store. It would probably
> be more cost effective to just go out and buy a new MTB with disk
> brakes. They can be had for less than a hundred bucks at places like
> WalMart.

I would not trust the disc brakes or suspension components (among other
things) on a $100 bicycle shaped object.

A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

On Aug 30, 1:10 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>
> Karl <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Please send any message to [email protected] as I don't often get a
> > chance to check into the group. Thank.

> What's in it for me?
>
> --
> Michael Press

Why, you'll get a chance to go to heaven, be the right hand of God,
and get to live with 70 squabbling virgins.
What do you mean, what's in it for me? Gee.

On Aug 29, 10:43 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Kenny? wrote:
> > Gee Karl, I'd nix the idea of modifying your present bike. Your bike
> > sounds like it came out of some big discount store. It would probably
> > be more cost effective to just go out and buy a new MTB with disk
> > brakes. They can be had for less than a hundred bucks at places like
> > WalMart.

> I would not trust the disc brakes or suspension components (among other
> things) on a $100 bicycle shaped object.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

I got it at Ozona in Austin Texas back in 1998. I was told KNS is
supposed to be a very good brand although at the time I didn't know
that. What I know about bicycles you could stick through a keyhole.

Karl :)

<[email protected]> wrote:
> Kenny? wrote:
> > Gee Karl, I'd nix the idea of modifying your present bike. Your bike
> > sounds like it came out of some big discount store. It would probably
> > be more cost effective to just go out and buy a new MTB with disk
> > brakes. They can be had for less than a hundred bucks at places like
> > WalMart.

> I would not trust the disc brakes or suspension components (among other
> things) on a $100 bicycle shaped object.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> A Real Cyclist [TM] keeps at least one bicycle in the bedroom.

On Aug 29, 8:43 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Kenny? wrote:
> > Gee Karl, I'd nix the idea of modifying your present bike. Your bike
> > sounds like it came out of some big discount store. It would probably
> > be more cost effective to just go out and buy a new MTB with disk
> > brakes. They can be had for less than a hundred bucks at places like
> > WalMart.

> I would not trust the disc brakes or suspension components (among other
> things) on a $100 bicycle shaped object.

The OP has a KHS (not "KNS") Town & Country bike, that's a
name brand.

Retrofitting a suspension fork is often not cost effective.
Larger tires, cushier grips and gloves can be used.
Retrofitting disc brakes is expensive and unlikely to show
much improvement if you don't ride on wet MTB trails -
installing new caliper pads and cables and getting the
brakes adjusted is a better bet.

On Aug 31, 7:37 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Aug 29, 8:43 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Kenny? wrote:
> > > Gee Karl, I'd nix the idea of modifying your present bike. Your bike
> > > sounds like it came out of some big discount store. It would probably
> > > be more cost effective to just go out and buy a new MTB with disk
> > > brakes. They can be had for less than a hundred bucks at places like
> > > WalMart.

> > I would not trust the disc brakes or suspension components (among other
> > things) on a $100 bicycle shaped object.

> The OP has a KHS (not "KNS") Town & Country bike, that's a
> name brand.
>
> Retrofitting a suspension fork is often not cost effective.
> Larger tires, cushier grips and gloves can be used.
> Retrofitting disc brakes is expensive and unlikely to show
> much improvement if you don't ride on wet MTB trails -
> installing new caliper pads and cables and getting the
> brakes adjusted is a better bet.

Yes. I agree. I have already examined some new bicycles in Dallas and
decided that the best thing for me to do is just to buy a new bike. At
this time I'm a bit short of cash so I'm stuck with my KHS bike...and
yes, I should have proofed my email before I send it out. I guess I'll
be riding my bike for a little while longer. Thank you guys for your
considerations.

Karl

Not for you Mr. Press. You're still stuck with the 70 squabbling
virgins.

In article
<[email protected]>,
Karl <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Aug 31, 7:37 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
> > On Aug 29, 8:43 pm, "Tom \"Johnny Sunset\" Sherman"
> >
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > I would not trust the disc brakes or suspension components (among other
> > > things) on a $100 bicycle shaped object.

> > The OP has a KHS (not "KNS") Town & Country bike, that's a
> > name brand.
> >
> > Retrofitting a suspension fork is often not cost effective.
> > Larger tires, cushier grips and gloves can be used.
> > Retrofitting disc brakes is expensive and unlikely to show
> > much improvement if you don't ride on wet MTB trails -
> > installing new caliper pads and cables and getting the
> > brakes adjusted is a better bet.

> Yes. I agree. I have already examined some new bicycles in Dallas and
> decided that the best thing for me to do is just to buy a new bike. At
> this time I'm a bit short of cash so I'm stuck with my KHS bike...and
> yes, I should have proofed my email before I send it out. I guess I'll
> be riding my bike for a little while longer. Thank you guys for your
> considerations.
>
> Not for you Mr. Press. You're still stuck with the 70 squabbling
> virgins.

So--you do have time to read replies here.

--
Michael Press

I like to watch.

On Sep 1, 11:14 pm, Michael Press <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
>

> Karl <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Aug 31, 7:37 pm, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > The OP has a KHS (not "KNS") Town & Country bike, that's a
> > > name brand.

> > > Retrofitting a suspension fork is often not cost effective.
> > > Larger tires, cushier grips and gloves can be used.
> > > Retrofitting disc brakes is expensive and unlikely to show
> > > much improvement if you don't ride on wet MTB trails -
> > > installing new caliper pads and cables and getting the
> > > brakes adjusted is a better bet.

> > Yes. I agree. I have already examined some new bicycles in Dallas and
> > decided that the best thing for me to do is just to buy a new bike. At
> > this time I'm a bit short of cash so I'm stuck with my KHS bike...and
> > yes, I should have proofed my email before I send it out. I guess I'll
> > be riding my bike for a little while longer. Thank you guys for your
> > considerations.

> > Not for you Mr. Press. You're still stuck with the 70 squabbling
> > virgins.

> So--you do have time to read replies here.
>
> --
> Michael Press
>
> I like to watch.

Oh, I check into the group from time to time, yes. Karl