Installing Shifters to new handlebar....

lohsnest

Oct 10, 2004
Well here's the scoop... I have never done any installations save for a few minor adjustments here and there. Probably the most complicated thing I have ever done is to install my own cassette and chain. I am a novice when it comes to being a greasemonkey. That said, I need some tips on transferring my shifters and brake levers to my new carbon bar. These are Campy shifters. I can probably figure out how to unwrap my bar (duh!!!), but that is about it..... will I need to make any adjustments to the shifters or will they be okay, as long as I remount them on my new bar? I have a new Kestrel carbon. Are there any considerations?

Thanks in advance....

Runce

I don't know, but while you are waiting for your answer, look around at parktool.com or sheldonbrown.com to get an idea of the steps involved and you should get an idea of what is involved.

I suspect as long as you can loosen the clamps for the shifters without removing the cables you should be able to do it without needing to readjust anything.

lohsnest said:
Well here's the scoop... I have never done any installations save for a few minor adjustments here and there. Probably the most complicated thing I have ever done is to install my own cassette and chain. I am a novice when it comes to being a greasemonkey. That said, I need some tips on transferring my shifters and brake levers to my new carbon bar. These are Campy shifters. I can probably figure out how to unwrap my bar (duh!!!), but that is about it..... will I need to make any adjustments to the shifters or will they be okay, as long as I remount them on my new bar? I have a new Kestrel carbon. Are there any considerations?

Thanks in advance....

Runce
Maybe look at the campy support web site. OR PARK TOOLS web site (best bet).
I run Shimano but some of this it's probably similar. Shift to the highest rear gear (smallest cog) and to the smallest front chain ring BEFORE you remove the shifter from your old bar so the cable tension will be at the lowest amount. You will have to loosen the cable anchor point at the FD and RD as well as brakes to give you some slack as you slide them from the old bar, remove old bar, install new bars and fasten stem bolts (be careful with carbon or use torque wrench), slide new shifters onto your new bar, tighten shifter clamps to handlebar (again, be careful with carbon or use torque wrench), fasten housings to bar with electrical or duct tape, anchor cables at FD-RD and brakes, test shifters and brakes, tape handlebar (see Park Tools for how to tape bars). This assumes you are not replacing cables if you are... check Park Tools web site or You Tube for a instructional video.
Hope this helps

dgregory57 said:
I don't know, but while you are waiting for your answer, look around at parktool.com or sheldonbrown.com to get an idea of the steps involved and you should get an idea of what is involved.

I suspect as long as you can loosen the clamps for the shifters without removing the cables you should be able to do it without needing to readjust anything.
This should be fairly easy to do without disconnecting anything. You just unwrap the bars.(You will probably want to invest in new HB Tape. I always have a really difficult time reusing old tape.) You might want to label your brifters for left and right so you don't reverse them. Consult the Campy website for the proper way to loosen the clamps. Remove the front cover of your headset extension (usually four socket head screws, 4mm or 5mm). Cut the small pieces of tape holding the brake cables to the bar and slide the brifters off each side. Installation is the reverse. Just remember not to clamp too hard on the carbon handlebar. Follow the torque recommendations if they came with the handlebar.

Locate your brifters where they are comfortable for you. A lot builds out of the box will locate the bottom of the levers in line with the bottom of the handlebar drops, so if you bought your bike pre-assembled, this may be were the brifters were located.

lohsnest said:

Thanks in advance....

Runce

Keep everything attached, gear and brake cable wise. Pull the hood back, see the 5mm allen bolt, loosen and take each off the handlebar, letting them drop forward of the bike. Remove old bar, install new bar, slide levers back onto the new hbar with the same orientation, housing wise, as on the old bar. Hopefully the dimensions of the new is drastically different than the old(wider), so the housing length will be proper. Align the bottom the brake lever with the lower portion of the drops on the handlebar. Tape down housing, rewrap, go ride.