Installing Shimano Crankset

Joel

Guest
I am going to be ordering a new Shimano Hollowtech II crankset soon and
was wondering if I should spend the $25 on 2 tools to install it myself
or take it the LBS and pay them to do it.
I will probably need to take it there anyway because last I tried
overhauling the bottom bracket which is the previous generation Dura
Ace I could not get one of the cups loose even though I had the right
tool.

Thanks - Joel

Joel wrote:
> I am going to be ordering a new Shimano Hollowtech II crankset soon and
> was wondering if I should spend the $25 on 2 tools to install it myself
> or take it the LBS and pay them to do it.
> I will probably need to take it there anyway because last I tried
> overhauling the bottom bracket which is the previous generation Dura
> Ace I could not get one of the cups loose even though I had the right
> tool.
>
> Thanks - Joel

The Dura Ace crankset comes with Hollowtech II specific tools. I don't
know about Ultegra.

I'd say it depends an how much you like monkeying with your bike. I
like having the tools so I can swap things around if I feel the need
whenever I wish.

Joseph

<[email protected]> wrote in message

> The Dura Ace crankset comes with Hollowtech II specific tools. I don't
> know about Ultegra.

I believe it does not, at least not the last time I installed a new one
(summer).
Blake

The Ultegra model does not come with the tool. I have the tools to
remove and instal the BB to do maintance and not have to go through the
hassle of taking the bike to the shop and wait. It's nice to have it
around when you need it and will pay for itself in trade of two visits
to the LBS.

Joel wrote:
> I am going to be ordering a new Shimano Hollowtech II crankset soon and
> was wondering if I should spend the $25 on 2 tools to install it myself
> or take it the LBS and pay them to do it.
> I will probably need to take it there anyway because last I tried
> overhauling the bottom bracket which is the previous generation Dura
> Ace I could not get one of the cups loose even though I had the right
> tool.
>
> Thanks - Joel

It's essential that the BB shell be faced. If DA, the tools come with
the crank..no so for ultegra.

MUST use a torque wrench on the pinch bolts...

I've heard similar comments about the Shimano design requiring faced BB
shell (apparently TruVativ design doesn't have this issue?). Otherwise
you'll get pre-mature wear on the BB. It's worth it to go to the shop
to get this done at a minimum (cutting tools are $$$).

The other tools are probably worth it, but I've gotten one with each DA
kit I've bought, so ask a friend who rides DA is they may have a spare
set.

-a

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> I've heard similar comments about the Shimano design requiring faced BB
> shell (apparently TruVativ design doesn't have this issue?). Otherwise
> you'll get pre-mature wear on the BB. It's worth it to go to the shop
> to get this done at a minimum (cutting tools are $$$).

As it sounds like this is a retro-fit, the frame is probably already
faced, so it may be fine. A new install would probably require a
facing.

Joseph

I'm not sure about his bike, but the %age of frames that get faced
these days seems to be waining greatly. It's worth checking into at
the least.

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> I'm not sure about his bike, but the %age of frames that get faced
> these days seems to be waining greatly. It's worth checking into at
> the least.

This is true, and since Hollowtech II should have both sides faced (as
opposed to just about all other modern BB's) he probably should go have
that done, as perhaps only one side may be faced already.

Joseph

Its a Trek OCLV 5500 frame.
Can a carbon frame be faced?
I know there a metal sleeve in the BB shell but it is surrounded by
carbon.

Joel wrote:
> Its a Trek OCLV 5500 frame.
> Can a carbon frame be faced?
> I know there a metal sleeve in the BB shell but it is surrounded by
> carbon.

Ah, the joys of plastics!

Andrew F Martin wrote:
> I'm not sure about his bike, but the %age of frames that get faced
> these days seems to be waining greatly. It's worth checking into at
> the least.

And many (most?) shops do not have the necessary tools. In some shops,
you'll get a blank stare if you even ask about "frame prep".