Installing SPD cleats to Shimano R087 shoes

daff

Jan 9, 2011
Hello!

Got myself brand new pair of Shimano R087 road cycling shoes. I also have got SPD M520 pedals and cleats which I am planning to use with my new shoes.

When installing the cleats, I noticed that on the shoes manual for cleat installation there was a rubber pontoon on the drawing.
I mean the rubber that should go between the shoe and the cleat.

I bought my pedals and cleats used, maybe there is missing something in my set but there are no rubber pieces included.
My question is, is it ok to install the cleats directly to the sole of the shoe ? Or will the sole wore out quickly without the rubber ?

Check the shoes manual here (part about SPD cleats installation):
http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/SI/Shoes/4J20B-001_SPDCompatibleShoes/SI-4J20B-002-ENG_v1_m56577569830672691.pdf

Thanks!

What you have are road shoes and MTB pedals. I doubt that the road shoes will have the correct two-bolt mounts required for the MTB cleats (but I could be wrong).

The metal Shimano SPD MTB cleats NEVER came with rubber pontoons and I didn't think they were designed for use with them. I think the pontoon was for a different metal, two-bolt SPD-R (road) cleat which was around before the three bolt plastic SPD-SL came along (I think the SPD-R cleat would be incompatible with the M520 MTB pedals anyway). The MTB cleats are designed to be used with MTB or treking shoes which have a deep recess to protect the cleat (and the floor).

Unfortunately the moniker "SPD" has been used with several different meanings at different times over the last 20 years. The result has been three mutually incompatible pedal/cleat systems all with SPD in their title.

IF the R087s have two bolt mountings then you can mount the MTB cleat, but it is not a good idea for three reasons:

1) There are now no rubber feet to protect the sole of the shoe or to make it possible to walk (eg around a cafe) without damaging soft or timber flooring with the metal cleat.
2) The lack of feet or recessed sole also leaves the cleat unprotected from hard and abrasive surfaces. The bolts can be damaged to the point that they can no longer be removed with an allen key.
3) The cleat has teeth designed to dig into the softer rubber sole of the MTB shoe. I have a feeling these theeth will present a problem for the hard soled road shoe.

The solution is to either commit to MTB pedals (which you have), MTB cleats (which should have come with the pedals), and MTB shoes; OR to road pedals, three-bolt cleats, and road shoes (which you have). In the case of the former ANY MTB shoes will do and in the case of the latter any 3 bolt mounted cleat pedal system would do (eg Look, Shimano SPD-SL, Time etc).

Yes, they have both holes. Look here for example http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/images/ProductImages/fullsize/Clothing/Shimano/Shimano_R087_Road_Shoes.jpg

I think I am gonna ask this from Shimano or re-seller. It is weird if they state "compatible with SPD and SPD-SL cleats" and actually this not quite true. Maybe they can tell me something we don't know.

Okay then if you can get the SPD cleats with the pontoons (they would have to be a spare part in that case as I've never seen them included with pedals or shoes) then that would also be solution.