Installing Sun Power down tube shifters

ddog

Guest
I'm having a hard time lining up getting rachets back on the swift
shift bracket, but would be near the same as putting back on down tube
brackets/braze ons. Nothing on google I can find, but I can see that 2
internal parts and the silver external washer with the same rectangle
shape need be lined up. Its just hard holding lined up while torqueing
down, and figuring out if a specific torque is required. Some times I
get it right, but it doesn't hold like it was never compressed enough
properly before torquing. Any help or reference links would be greatly
appreciated.

Here are the shifters disassembled. The right shifter looked like it
had an additional internal side paper thin ring, and it was tighter as
well (now its the only one that feels good with only 2 paper thin
washers).

http://www.dooberywhatsit.com//files/RSC-1-14-7FrictionShifters.jpg

Maybe I need to apply compression when lined up until torqued, but
would like to know how so I don't bend one of those paper thin washers.
Maybe a special tool with a hole to apply pressure while torquing
through the tools hole is needed. This stuff can drive someone crazy if
they are not careful. I should have known it wouldn't just magically
start clicking by putting a screw in the hole. But my right one seems
fine (?), so maybe its just accuracy required along with a little trial
and error luck. And maybe I just need to bring to my guru wrench at
LBS.

Starting to look good though:

http://www.dooberywhatsit.com//files/RSC-1-14-7ShiftersAsms.jpg

I could use one of you experienced guru's help please.

Thanks,
Phil Bailey

ddog wrote:
> I'm having a hard time lining up getting rachets back on the swift
> shift bracket, but would be near the same as putting back on down tube
> brackets/braze ons. Nothing on google I can find, but I can see that 2
> internal parts and the silver external washer with the same rectangle
> shape need be lined up. Its just hard holding lined up while torqueing
> down, and figuring out if a specific torque is required. Some times I
> get it right, but it doesn't hold like it was never compressed enough
> properly before torquing. Any help or reference links would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> Here are the shifters disassembled. The right shifter looked like it
> had an additional internal side paper thin ring, and it was tighter as
> well (now its the only one that feels good with only 2 paper thin
> washers).
>
> http://www.dooberywhatsit.com//files/RSC-1-14-7FrictionShifters.jpg
>
> Maybe I need to apply compression when lined up until torqued, but
> would like to know how so I don't bend one of those paper thin washers.
> Maybe a special tool with a hole to apply pressure while torquing
> through the tools hole is needed. This stuff can drive someone crazy if
> they are not careful. I should have known it wouldn't just magically
> start clicking by putting a screw in the hole. But my right one seems
> fine (?), so maybe its just accuracy required along with a little trial
> and error luck. And maybe I just need to bring to my guru wrench at
> LBS.
>
> Starting to look good though:
>
> http://www.dooberywhatsit.com//files/RSC-1-14-7ShiftersAsms.jpg
>
> I could use one of you experienced guru's help please.
>

> Thanks,
> Phil Bailey

The large inner washer is part of your Suntour mount and so you'll need
to find/make something like it for your Scott/Profile bracket.

Remove a shifter and work it between your fingers. See how the ratchet
doesn't engage until you press on the inner black surface? That's your
problem. Not too difficult to fix.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Andrew,

Thanks. I see the 15x2mm washer on each side of the shifter clamps now.
Your expertise is appreciated.

Thank You Sir,
Phil Bailey