installing threadless headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Lee, Mar 21, 2003.

  1. Lee

    Lee Guest

    A quick question for the group. I'm in the middle of installing a Campy Record threadless headset
    and I think I've got it right.

    But obviously I haven't or I wouldn't be posting this question :)

    I have just put the upper ball bearings in, (balls up), the plastic retainer, the upper cone with
    the seal and the top cover. But I have a small gap between the upper head cup and the top cover. I
    can't seem to figure out how to get this gap to go away.

    What have I done wrong?

    For what it's worth, the bike is yellow and white <grin>

    TIA!

    Lee

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > A quick question for the group. I'm in the middle of installing a Campy Record threadless headset
    > and I think I've got it right.
    >
    > But obviously I haven't or I wouldn't be posting this question :)
    >
    > I have just put the upper ball bearings in, (balls up), the plastic retainer, the upper cone with
    > the seal and the top cover. But I have a
    small
    > gap between the upper head cup and the top cover. I can't seem to figure
    out
    > how to get this gap to go away.

    The top bearings are smaller than the bottom ones. You may have reversed them. It is also possible
    to invert the retainer, which would also give that symptom.