instant patches or glue

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jeff, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeff

Jeff Guest

Which gives a better, more reliable, patch job, glue or instant patches?

Tags:

2. "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Which gives a better, more reliable, patch job, glue or instant patches?

Most web vendors will sell 5 tubes for @ $2.50e or 10 for $2. Next time your buying some goody get a
    bunch of tubes, or split em with your buddies.

Forget patches.

--
    DTW .../\.../\.../\...

3. Ken

Ken Guest

4. Slacker

Slacker Guest

"jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Really depends on what you're trying to do, but patches can work pretty good.

I'm sure our resident glue/fabric queen will be chiming in any minute.
    --
    Slacker

5. Slacker

Slacker Guest

> "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Which gives a better, more reliable, patch job, glue or instant patches?
    >
    >
    > Really depends on what you're trying to do, but patches can work pretty good.
    >
    > I'm sure our resident glue/fabric queen will be chiming in any minute.
    > --
    > Slacker

Dang it...scratch that patch comment, mine is already peeling and I haven't even used it on the
    trail yet!
    --
    Slacker - go for the glue

6. "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    I think glue, but here is what I do. Carry an extra tube and instant patches in the camelback. For
    the first flat, I use the tube. In my main tool kit, for after the ride, I use the glue set up to
    repair and bad tubes, and they go back in the camelback.
    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove .nospam. if replying)

7. Trevor S

Trevor S Guest

[email protected] (jeff) wrote in news:[email protected]:

:) Pump your tyres up another 10 psi :) Mostly solves the pinch flat
    problem.

Trevor S

8. On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:25:10 +0000, jeff did issue forth:

If you'd asked me a few months ago, I'd have said glue, but now I'm siding with Park
    glueless patches.

Hail Park, inventor of the glueless patch that actually sticks!

--
    Huw Pritchard Replace bounce with huw to reply by mail

9. roKeMS

roKeMS New Member

Got a hole, ditch it.

I carry 2 tubes everywhere. Puncture kits suck.
    Not worth the trouble while you're out having fun.

Of course you could go tubeless....:eek: :D

10. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

roKeMS wrote:
    > Got a hole, ditch it.
    >
    > I carry 2 tubes everywhere. Puncture kits suck. Not worth the trouble while you're out having fun.
    >
    > Of course you could go tubeless....:eek: :D

What people will do in the name of easy! That's a lot of weight and pack space. I wish that I didn't
    have to carry one extra tube let alone
    2. But, I learned the hard way that sometimes you get a hole that just can't be patched (I only had
    to walk 5 miles and had good company for the walk) and another time that you CAN get too many
    holes (I'll never ride through recently trimmed wild roses again :) -- over 10 holes in front
    and back).

Oh, good glueless patches applied properly hold quite well for low pressure mountain applications.
    Mine usually last the life of the tube. For road tire pressures (and probably for those that run 60
    psi on the trails), glue patches are a must. The problem with glue patches is that unless you're
    careful to get the air out of the tube of glue after every use, you'll find it dried-up one time and
    wish that you had a glueless spare patch around :).

David

11. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

David Kunz <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > roKeMS wrote:
    > > Got a hole, ditch it.
    > >
    > > I carry 2 tubes everywhere. Puncture kits suck. Not worth the trouble while you're out
    > > having fun.
    > >
    > > Of course you could go tubeless....:eek: :D
    >
    > What people will do in the name of easy! That's a lot of weight and pack space. I wish that I
    > didn't have to carry one extra tube let alone
    > 2. But, I learned the hard way that sometimes you get a hole that just can't be patched (I only
    > had to walk 5 miles and had good company for the walk) and another time that you CAN get too
    > many holes (I'll never ride through recently trimmed wild roses again :) -- over 10 holes in
    > front and back).
    >
    > Oh, good glueless patches applied properly hold quite well for low pressure mountain applications.
    > Mine usually last the life of the tube. For road tire pressures (and probably for those that run
    > 60 psi on the trails), glue patches are a must. The problem with glue patches is that unless
    > you're careful to get the air out of the tube of glue after every use, you'll find it dried-up one
    > time and wish that you had a glueless spare patch around :).

I have loads of glue left over after each patch kit is used up. I have to throw them away. I keep a
    couple of tubes of it in my pack, plenty of chalk (sealy bag with chalk-line chalk in it - better
    than those little rocks), good sandpaper, and some patches. I also have a piece of old inner tube
    for real emergencies. This and a spare see me through.

Change tube, patch punctured one. Rinse and repeat.

I don't see the fuss re-patching tubes - It only takes a couple of minutes longer to patch a tube
    than to just swap anyhow. If it's taking you longer, you need to work on your technique.

Shaun aRe

12. Ctg

Ctg Guest

"D T W .../\..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > "jeff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >
    > Most web vendors will sell 5 tubes for @ $2.50e or 10 for $2. Next time your buying some goody get
    > a bunch of tubes, or split em with your
    buddies.
    >
    > Forget patches.
    >

That's a waste. Using patches can extend a tube's life much longer instead of throwing away a
    perfectly good tube.

Chris

13. ctg wrote:
    >
    >
    > That's a waste. Using patches can extend a tube's life much longer instead of throwing away a
    > perfectly good tube.
    >
    > Chris

A waste it is! I carry a spare tube, or two on epic rides, while riding. Flatted tubes get tossed
    in a bag and when my spare stock runs low, I patch 6-8 of them at once. A bunch can be patched in
    just slightly more time than one. More than once, I've traded my good tube for a flatted one on the
    trail or road.

Barry

14. Jd

Jd Guest

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have loads of glue left over after each patch kit is used up. I have to throw them away.

Buy more patches. Any good bike shop sells the patches individually. Also, quit sniffing the glue.

JD

15. Shaun Rimmer

Shaun Rimmer Guest

JD <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I have loads of glue left over after each patch kit is used up. I have
    to
    > > throw them away.
    >
    > Buy more patches. Any good bike shop sells the patches individually.

Don't really need to - the whole kit is only about £1:00 - hardly worth the bother.

> Also, quit sniffing the glue.

crotch.

Shaun aRe - 'It sticks my brain together'.

16. Fred Hinkson

Fred Hinkson Guest

Tubes,patches if you got the time and instant if you don't. Or you can carry that tinny can of
    fix a flat when your really in a hurry. Or spend the bucks on SLIME Tubes. But 9 times out of 10
    I use tubes.

MTB Ride hard die free.

17. x

x Guest

RE/
    >Forget patches.

But they improve the tube so much....

I've got a couple tubes with a dozen-plus patches on them and just think: they're virtually
    thornproof every place there's a patch...-)
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

18. Van Bagnol

Van Bagnol Guest

In article <[email protected]>, "Huw Pritchard"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 18:25:10 +0000, jeff did issue forth:
    >
    >
    > If you'd asked me a few months ago, I'd have said glue, but now I'm siding with Park glueless
    > patches.
    >
    > Hail Park, inventor of the glueless patch that actually sticks!

I agree that Park glueless patches work very well. I've ruined tubes by using other brands of
    glueless patches.

That being said, I use glue patches when repairing tubes at home, if only because you get more
    patches for your $2.

However, I have glueless patches in my saddle bag because they take up less space, just in case, and
    glue patches in the Camelbak.

Van

--
    Van Bagnol / v a n at wco dot com / c r l at bagnol dot com ...enjoys - Theatre / Windsurfing /
    Skydiving / Mountain Biking ...feels - "Parang lumalakad ako sa loob ng paniginip" ...thinks - "An
    Error is Not a Mistake ... Unless You Refuse to Correct It"

19. Chris Snell

Chris Snell Guest

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <"keep it in the newsgroup "@thankyou.com> wrote in message
    > ctg wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > > That's a waste. Using patches can extend a tube's life much longer
    instead
    > > of throwing away a perfectly good tube.
    > >
    > > Chris
    >
    > A waste it is! I carry a spare tube, or two on epic rides, while riding. Flatted tubes get tossed
    > in a bag and when my spare stock
    runs
    > low, I patch 6-8 of them at once. A bunch can be patched in just slightly more time than one. More
    > than once, I've traded my good
    tube
    > for a flatted one on the trail or road.
    >
    >
    > Barry

Dude, I'll take some of that action! All my blown tubes, you send me new ones! Wohooo!

But to answer the question, instant patches or glue, depends on the type of rubber of the tube. I've
    found most ultralight tubes won't glue, so insta-patch it is.

- Chris.

20. Chris Snell wrote:
    >
    > Dude, I'll take some of that action! All my blown tubes, you send me new ones! Wohooo!

I trade good ones for flatted tubes with people without a spare. Usually these folks are pushing
    bikes along a trail or road. It's not like I simply love to patch tubes. <G>

Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.