Instant stop?

repiV

Apr 10, 2004
Hi,

I've heard a fair bit about the technique of swinging the handlebars 90 degrees to stop instantly, but I've never had the guts to try it out. I live in London so it's generally a good idea to prepare for any eventuality - I have a Ridgeback Cyclone with slick tyres...if I ever need to stop VERY quickly should I do this? If so, how? Will it trash my tyres?

Thanks in advance.

repiV said:
Hi,

I've heard a fair bit about the technique of swinging the handlebars 90 degrees to stop instantly, but I've never had the guts to try it out. I live in London so it's generally a good idea to prepare for any eventuality - I have a Ridgeback Cyclone with slick tyres...if I ever need to stop VERY quickly should I do this? If so, how? Will it trash my tyres?

Thanks in advance.
I've never heard of such a thing. But I would guess it would work pretty good at stopping the bike very quickly. I'm also guessing it would trash your face.

Sounds like a great way to stop your bike. I suspect you would keep going though :eek:

Doing it will most likely destroy your fork, tyres and wheelset.

It's meant to be an ultimate 110% last resort move to reduce your speed before hitting something big enough to put you into hospital.

Keep your v-brakes in good order and they'll stop you as well as this techniqe. Rek was right, it's only something to do when you really have to - to be honest, with v-brakes you shouldn't ever need to do this.

If you really have to
1)turn the bars 90 degrees
2)keep your weight as far back as possible as the front wheel collapses or you'll somersault the bars and land on your head. Nasty.

Chris

why turn the bars at 90degree? if you must then I suggest you just lean all the way until you hit the ground, at least you get only nasty scratches instead of an endo and reshape your face ...

repiV said:
I've heard a fair bit about the technique of swinging the handlebars 90 degrees to stop instantly, but I've never had the guts to try it out...

This is one time when your instincts were on your side. It would have certainly been a very messy and costly experiment!