insulin pump

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by jon_e, Jul 12, 2004.

1. jon_e

jon_e New Member

just wanted to see if anyone had any experience riding with an insulin pump. Just got mine "installed" and just got myself a new bike. And was wondering if anyone had any advise or suggestions.

Tags:

2. nutbag

nutbag New Member

that's a "tuffy"

I can't help you, and if you don't get any other replies, you might wanna try the "road cycling" and/or the "training & nutrition" forums on
    http://www.bikeforums.net/ , they have a much bigger audience.

3. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

Hey jon_e! I was wondering the same thing when I started riding again shortly after starting on the pump. I have found that the semi-hard GPS/phone/camera cases can come in handy if you don't mind a little extra bulk in your jersey pocket. You can find these cases at almost any outdoors/sporting goods stores and usually find one that fits your pump pretty well. I have had no bad experiences with this and would probably use this again if I were to start doing larger group rides (higher chance or wrecks, so more need to protect the pump). Currently, and most often, I use a small ziploc baggie that i also carry my drivers license and health insurance card and emergency numbers in, and I simply stuff that in my jersey pocket with the tubing running around/under my jersey. Wherever you decide to keep your pump while you are riding, try to keep it where it won't be damaged during a fall (one reason why I find jersey pockets/middle of the lower back to be a good place--a couple wrecks later the pump is still ok).

Depending on conditions you ride in, you will have to be a little more careful with the tubing. I guess you could always poke a small hole in the jersey, in the pocket, and keep the tubing close to your body at all times (more important when the temperatures could freeze your insulin in the tube). i have ridden in weather into the upper 30's with the tube under just a wind jacket with no problem though.

My only other suggestion would be to add some extra tape to hold your set in place. I sweat a lot and have found that after a two to three hour ride, many of my infusion sets would have no adhesive left to hold it on my skin due to all the sweat. I now use a product called IV3000 (its a dressing of sorts that is VERY sticky and does a great job of not letting anything under it) around my infusion set. I use the Minimed Quiksets, so I cut a circular hole about the size of the plastic part of the infusion set, and then place the IV3000 over the whole set, and then attach it back up and I'm good for three days.

Good luck and let me know if I can help any more.

Jeff

4. jon_e

jon_e New Member

THANKS!!! Great ideas. I appreciate the suggestions. I don't have the problem with the freezing, it never drops below 55 down here (south florida) but it does get hot. How about the tester, do you also carry that in the same back pocket?? I'm heading over to the lbs for one of those small bags that go under the seat, it's the only thing that I can think off.

Nutbag, thanks for the links.

5. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

I don't carry my meter with me for most of the riding I do (at least if its under 2-3hrs). if I know i am going to be out all day and on rides I have never done before I will carry it with me. Try the Freestyle Flash meter (only about $70 w/out Rx, but worth it if you want a meter to carry with you)--its the smallest out there at this time, and the pump, meter, strips and lancet will easily fit in the same pocket. After you get used to what you bg does when you are riding and exercising you will worry much less about all these things while riding. I am waiting for the wireless continuous glucose monitors to come out--small patch similar to infusion set and a pager sized display unit (a few are going through FDA approval at this time).

For me, my bg does not go down when I ride hard, it actually sometimes goes up. Most often, I end up having to give myself a few units after a ride to compensate for the Gatorade I drink during the ride and the Endurox I drink after the ride. Also have to take insulin sometimes if I eat during a longer ride.

I also find the PowerGels and the like very easy to carry for a quick bg boost. The glucose gels marketed towards diabetics will work well too, but cost to much to use for a quick energy boost two hours into a ride.

Jeff

6. jon_e

jon_e New Member

Thanks for all the info.

7. trunks_cscs

trunks_cscs New Member

I've had a pump since '95 and it's gotten me through the bodybuilding phase I went through and now the cycling. I drink instant iced tea in a 15-18% solution while riding (in my camelback) with water, Gatorade, etc in a water bottle to help with the hydration.

The hyperglycemia you sometimes experience post-ride is more than likely due to the release of epinepherine (adrenaline) from your ride, especially after the really hard ones. After a mileage workout my sugars are fine but after a workout consisting of hard climbs and/or sprints, my sugars are way up there.

8. jon_e

jon_e New Member

that is what i thought, but i wasn't 100%, and was worried about posting inacurate info.
    Trunks, what do you do inorder to deal with that high?
    I've just gotten into the sport, so for my (short) ride (15 miles) I program a different basal rate. Worked out for me. But I'd like to do longer rides, so for now I'm waiting for the arrival of my cannondale bag, need to figure out what the pattern is while riding.

9. trunks_cscs

trunks_cscs New Member

For rides with any type of intensity, which is almost all of my rides, I set the temporary basal rate to half of my normal basal rate. That almost always works for me. Hope it helps!