Insulin Resistance

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by anonymous, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    How is insulin resistance treated

    Tags:

  2. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 15:45:16 GMT, [email protected] posted:

    >How is insulin resistance treated

    Exercise, and weight loss, unless diabetes has developed. Then it's drugs and even insulin
    injections on top of the exercise and weight loss.

    Moosh:)

  3. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    > How is insulin resistance treated

    Quentin Grady <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > G'day G'day Folks,
    >
    > Some posters might find the following document useful.
    >
    > http://www.eje.org/eje/149/0099/1490099.pdf
    >
    > Best wishes,

    Interesting stuff. Here is an interesting quote:

    "A series of studies (33–36) report on the roles of high glucose concentrations and different free
    fatty acids (FFAs) on b-cell proliferation, apoptosis and function in cultured human islets. The
    results showed that A series of studies (33–36) report on the roles of high glucose concentrations
    and different free fatty acids (FFAs) on b-cell proliferation, apoptosis and function in cultured
    human islets. The results showed that prolonged exposure of cultured human islets to high glucose
    levels increased b-cell apoptosis in a dose-dependent manner. In addition, chronic exposure of
    cultured human islets to the saturated fatty acid palmitic acid results in increased markers of b-
    cell apoptosis and decreased b-cell proliferation. However, the mono-unsaturated fatty acids
    palmitoleic acid and oleic acid did not affect DNA fragmentation and induced b-cell proliferation.
    Moreover when co-supplemented, each of the monounsaturated fatty acids prevented apoptosis,
    prevented impairment of b-cell proliferation and improved insulin secretion that was caused by
    palmitic acid and/or hyperglycemia. In addition, chronic exposure of cultured human islets to the
    saturated fatty acid palmitic acid results in increased markers of b-cell apoptosis and decreased
    b-cell proliferation. However, the mono-unsaturated fatty acids palmitoleic acid and oleic acid did
    not affect DNA fragmentation and induced b-cell proliferation. Moreover when co-supplemented, each
    of the monounsaturated fatty acids prevented apoptosis, prevented impairment of b-cell proliferation
    and improved insulin secretion that was caused by palmitic acid and/or hyperglycemia."

    Repeat and partial quote: "prolonged exposure of cultured human islets to high glucose levels
    increased b-cell apoptosis in a dose-dependent manner."

    I don't think this could be any clearer. The more glucose b-cells were exposed to glucose and the
    higher the "dose" the more apoptosis (cell death) occurred. I gather that this is the not-so-mysterious-
    anymore glucotoxicity that we've heard about. This statement seems to indicate that there is a
    *direct* connection between blood sugar (glucose) levels and b-cell death.

    Repeat and partial quote: "In addition, chronic exposure of cultured human islets to the saturated
    fatty acid palmitic acid results in increased markers of b-cell apoptosis and decreased b-cell
    proliferation."

    Here we are told that *chronic* exposure to saturated fat cause increased *markers* of b-cell death
    and decreased b-cell proliferation. This isn't exactly saying that sat fat causes b-cell death but
    only causes an increase in "markers" of b-cell death. Can we assume that non-chronic exposures to
    saturated fat does not neceassarily lead to b-cell death or significant increase in markers of b-
    cell death?

    Repeat and partial quote: "the mono-unsaturated fatty acids palmitoleic acid and oleic acid did not
    affect DNA fragmentation and induced b-cell proliferation. Moreover when co-supplemented, each of
    the monounsaturated fatty acids prevented apoptosis, prevented impairment of b-cell proliferation
    and improved insulin secretion that was caused by palmitic acid and/or hyperglycemia."

    Mono-unsaturated fats prevented b-cell death and prevented b-cells from suffering impaired
    proliferation and it improved insulin secretion.

    In conclusion,

    1) Glucose impairs or kills b-cells directly dependent upon the dose of glucose. Note that all
    carbs in the diet are converted to glucose. The more the refined carbs the higher the blood
    glucose levels.

    2) Chronic levels of saturated fats cause some stress to b-cells.

    3) Mono-unsaturated fats protect and is necessary for the health of b-cells.

    Generally speaking, carbs cause b-cell death, fats protect against it.

    Interesting how the authors make the statements quoted above and then ignore the ramifications of
    their findings related to glucose and they spend most of their discussion on fats. Its right under
    their noses.

    TC

  4. Once upon a time, our fellow [email protected] rambled on about "Insulin Resistance." Our
    champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >How is insulin resistance treated

    Exercise, ... exercise, and even more exercise. :)

    Magnesium supplements.

    Weight lost, of course.
    --
    John Gohde,
    Feeling Great and Better than Ever!

    Natural therapy is the treatment method used by advocates of natural
    health.
    http://tutorials.naturalhealthperspective.com/natural-therapy.html

  5. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    "J Stutzmann" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Places to check first: http://www.aace.com/pub/BMI/findings.php
    > http://www.aace.com/clin/guidelines/ACEIRSPositionStatement.pdf Then review:
    > http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/467200_print http://www.cardiab.com/content/1/1/3
    > http://www.drmirkin.com/diabetes/D222.html

    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > How is insulin resistance treated

    The first two references are to this group"

    AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF CLINICAL ENDOCRINOLOGISTS

    These are their corporate sponsors:

    http://www.aace.com/CAP.php

    TC