insurance cover for theft of components

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Serpico, Mar 1, 2003.

  1. Serpico

    Serpico Guest

    All the bicycle insurance policies I have seen cover components and accessories only if they are
    stolen with the bike, not if they are individually removed. I'll probably remove my seat, lights and
    computer when locking the bike up in the carpark near the office, and use a lock to secure wheels
    and frame, but anyone with allen keys and spanners could nab a host of other bits, including
    bar-ends, handlebar, brake levers, pedals, etc. Is anyone familiar with insurance policies that
    cover component-only theft?

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    serpico <[email protected]> wrote:
    > All the bicycle insurance policies I have seen cover components and accessories only if they are
    > stolen with the bike, not if they are individually removed. I'll probably remove my seat, lights
    > and computer when locking the bike up in the carpark near the office, and use a lock to secure
    > wheels and frame, but anyone with allen keys and spanners could nab a host of other bits,
    > including bar-ends, handlebar, brake levers, pedals, etc. Is anyone familiar with insurance
    > policies that cover component-only theft?

    Try replacing the allen bolts with torq bolts. Very few opportunists own or carry a torq driver set.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
    their job."

    Samuel Goldwyn

  3. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, serpico <[email protected]> writes
    >All the bicycle insurance policies I have seen cover components and accessories only if they are
    >stolen with the bike, not if they are individually removed.

    Do they? I'm pretty sure mine says that theft of accessories (such as lights pump, panniers etc.) is
    only covered if the bike is also stolen, but not components which are part of the bike.

    Actually I've just had a look at the policy document and I can't find mention of anything at all
    about this in my current one (Nationwide). But I'm sure I read it somewhere

    <snip>

    >Is anyone familiar with insurance policies that cover component-only theft?

    CIS met a claim for theft of a wheel and handlebars (with all the gubbins) with no problems - about
    7 years ago.
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:15:49 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Try replacing the allen bolts with torq bolts. Very few opportunists own or carry a torq
    >driver set.

    Or you could use tamper-resistant Torx (with the pin in the middle) or get aero fasteners such
    as Tri-Wing, which *nobody* will have - so remember to take the screwdriver when booking it into
    the LBS :)

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  5. Jack Elder

    Jack Elder Guest

    in article [email protected], chris French at [email protected] wrote on
    1/3/03 11:19 pm:

    > In message <[email protected]>, serpico
    > <[email protected]> writes
    [snip]
    >> Is anyone familiar with insurance policies that cover component-only theft?
    >
    > CIS met a claim for theft of a wheel and handlebars (with all the gubbins) with no problems -
    > about 7 years ago.

    I'm insured with RSA (household insurance through FirstDirect, who use RSA - the bike is covered as
    a named item) and they paid up without a murmur when some enterprising young sod nicked my front
    forks last year. Bike was at the time parked in the 'attended' carpark beneath my work, and
    theoretically covered by CCTV. I got down and discovered that the front wheel was still locked to
    the bike rack, the frame was still locked to the front wheel, and that there was nothing in between
    'em... Reported the theft, got a police incident number, made the claim. Took about a fortnight to
    get paid out - I had to get my LBS to give me a quote to replace the forks and front brake, which I
    then faxed in and was duly paid. I believe they normally get Halfords to quote for replacement, but
    they were quite happy with the quote from my LBS, so. Overall, I'd recommend them - we've had to
    claim on our insurance twice now (burglary which, interestingly, mainly resulted in cycling kit
    being stolen), and they've been very good both times.

    But yeah, it's quite worrying when you think of exactly how vulnerable your bike is to anyone with a
    5mm allen key.

    Jack

    --
    And if we don't all live happily ever after, at least we'll survive another week. ::Kermit the Frog
    http://www.tallpoppy.org

  6. Serpico

    Serpico Guest

    Based on the responses, it seems I must have gotten it wrong - it seems that insurance will cover
    theft of components, it's just the accessories (e.g., lights, cycle computer, etc.) that are not
    covered. I'll find out when I sign up for some insurance and post back. Also, will have to look into
    getting torx bolts; thanks for the suggestions. Or maybe I will just sell my bike (since even with
    insurance and torx bolts, I'll still worry about it when I park it in a carpark or outside) and just
    get a cheap old bike for commuting and errands. <sigh>

    news:<BA8A14D5.7207%[email protected]>...