insurance cover for theft of components

Serpico

Guest
All the bicycle insurance policies I have seen cover components and accessories only if they are
stolen with the bike, not if they are individually removed. I'll probably remove my seat, lights and
computer when locking the bike up in the carpark near the office, and use a lock to secure wheels
and frame, but anyone with allen keys and spanners could nab a host of other bits, including
bar-ends, handlebar, brake levers, pedals, etc. Is anyone familiar with insurance policies that
cover component-only theft?

serpico <[email protected]> wrote:
> All the bicycle insurance policies I have seen cover components and accessories only if they are
> stolen with the bike, not if they are individually removed. I'll probably remove my seat, lights
> and computer when locking the bike up in the carpark near the office, and use a lock to secure
> wheels and frame, but anyone with allen keys and spanners could nab a host of other bits,
> including bar-ends, handlebar, brake levers, pedals, etc. Is anyone familiar with insurance
> policies that cover component-only theft?

Try replacing the allen bolts with torq bolts. Very few opportunists own or carry a torq driver set.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

In message <[email protected]>, serpico <[email protected]> writes
>All the bicycle insurance policies I have seen cover components and accessories only if they are
>stolen with the bike, not if they are individually removed.

Do they? I'm pretty sure mine says that theft of accessories (such as lights pump, panniers etc.) is
only covered if the bike is also stolen, but not components which are part of the bike.

Actually I've just had a look at the policy document and I can't find mention of anything at all
about this in my current one (Nationwide). But I'm sure I read it somewhere

<snip>

>Is anyone familiar with insurance policies that cover component-only theft?

CIS met a claim for theft of a wheel and handlebars (with all the gubbins) with no problems - about
7 years ago.
--
Chris French, Leeds

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003 21:15:49 -0000, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Try replacing the allen bolts with torq bolts. Very few opportunists own or carry a torq
>driver set.

Or you could use tamper-resistant Torx (with the pin in the middle) or get aero fasteners such
as Tri-Wing, which *nobody* will have - so remember to take the screwdriver when booking it into
the LBS :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

in article [email protected], chris French at [email protected] wrote on
1/3/03 11:19 pm:

> In message <[email protected]>, serpico
> <[email protected]> writes
[snip]
>> Is anyone familiar with insurance policies that cover component-only theft?
>
> CIS met a claim for theft of a wheel and handlebars (with all the gubbins) with no problems -
> about 7 years ago.

I'm insured with RSA (household insurance through FirstDirect, who use RSA - the bike is covered as
a named item) and they paid up without a murmur when some enterprising young sod nicked my front
forks last year. Bike was at the time parked in the 'attended' carpark beneath my work, and
theoretically covered by CCTV. I got down and discovered that the front wheel was still locked to
the bike rack, the frame was still locked to the front wheel, and that there was nothing in between
'em... Reported the theft, got a police incident number, made the claim. Took about a fortnight to
get paid out - I had to get my LBS to give me a quote to replace the forks and front brake, which I
then faxed in and was duly paid. I believe they normally get Halfords to quote for replacement, but
they were quite happy with the quote from my LBS, so. Overall, I'd recommend them - we've had to
claim on our insurance twice now (burglary which, interestingly, mainly resulted in cycling kit
being stolen), and they've been very good both times.

But yeah, it's quite worrying when you think of exactly how vulnerable your bike is to anyone with a
5mm allen key.

Jack

--
And if we don't all live happily ever after, at least we'll survive another week. ::Kermit the Frog
http://www.tallpoppy.org

Based on the responses, it seems I must have gotten it wrong - it seems that insurance will cover
theft of components, it's just the accessories (e.g., lights, cycle computer, etc.) that are not
covered. I'll find out when I sign up for some insurance and post back. Also, will have to look into
getting torx bolts; thanks for the suggestions. Or maybe I will just sell my bike (since even with
insurance and torx bolts, I'll still worry about it when I park it in a carpark or outside) and just
get a cheap old bike for commuting and errands. <sigh>

news:<BA8A14D5.7207%[email protected]>...