Insurance coverage for the major possibilities?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by grv, Aug 14, 2007.

1. grv

grv New Member

One of the things that keeps me from doing away with my mail order "franken-bike" (aside from a decided lack of cash), is that I get the willies every time I think of taking my future dream bike out on the highway, locking it in my van, locking it in my basement, etc., and then having something happen to it. I'd like to know that I could get the replacement value back if this were the case.

Most of my searching on this forum for "insurance" yielded results along the lines of "I got hit and the driver's insurance paid for it" and so on. Searching the web resulted in a number of bike insurance providers in the UK (I'm in the US, in New York), and one guy who said that your homeowner's / renter's insurance may cover you. Your mileage may vary...

Call me cautious, but I'd like to know I can get my bike replaced if it gets stolen from my house, from my van, from my campsite, etc. Also if I get hit by a car, I hit a car, I hit a dog in the TdF (OK maybe not), or just plain wreck and total the thing. How about if my house / van burns down with my bike in it...:eek:

Has anyone in my neck of the woods researched this? Logical possible coverage would seem to come from a driver's car insurance (if a driver is involved and actually has insurance), or homeowner's depending on the circumstances, but I'd be surprised if either of those could be counted on to cover it all. In any event, I'm guessing I'd want lots of pictures, an appraisal by my LBS, etc.

Thanks for any input!

Tags:

2. photoweborama

photoweborama New Member

IF it gets taken from your house, your homeowner insurance should cover that.
    Your auto insurance may cover if taken from your van.
    I don't think anything will cover if it is taken while camping.

As far as getting hit, the driver of the car's insurance would cover that, or your own health insurnace.

I think....