Insurance for the casual rider1

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by just us, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. just us

    just us Guest

    I went to a meeting last night to form a new Cycle Club in our district. It
    wasnt long before I realised that they are only interested in Racing, and I
    am definitely only a social rider. There was a lot of discussion about
    insurance, and both hubby and I think that some form of insurance in the
    event of an accident while on the road would maybe be a good idea. (ie,
    public liability, injury to me or someone else anytime while I am riding my
    bike, in a non bikeclub activity)
    Any input?
    Thanks Kathy

    Tags:

  2. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    just us wrote:

    > I went to a meeting last night to form a new Cycle Club in our district. It
    > wasnt long before I realised that they are only interested in Racing, and I
    > am definitely only a social rider. There was a lot of discussion about
    > insurance, and both hubby and I think that some form of insurance in the
    > event of an accident while on the road would maybe be a good idea. (ie,
    > public liability, injury to me or someone else anytime while I am riding my
    > bike, in a non bikeclub activity)
    > Any input?
    > Thanks Kathy

    I am a member of Bicycle Queensland, which provides public liability
    cover.

    Tam

  3. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Bicycle Victoria membership covers youfor liability etc, excess is about $1000 though.

    I'm looking at CycleCover which is a broker underwritten by QBE. They do a contents or house and contents insurance policy targetted at cyclists. The gold cover covers your bicycle for just about everything you could think of, even leaving it unlocked and having it stolen. Public liability cover of $20 million, no limit on bikes or value of bikes. Rates are a bit more expensive than our current insurer but when I tot up the kilometers I do on a bicycle and how much I rely on my bicycle for transport it's looking attractive.

  4. sinus

    sinus New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    Many standard home contents insurance provide liability cover. summary of mine....

    $10 million legal liability cover
    cover applies to accidents which happen in Australia and outside the boundaries of your site
    covers for claims arising from an accident causing injury or death to a person (other than you or family) or loss of or damage to property.
    It specifically excludes accidents involving cars, vehicles, etc... though vehicles does not includes bicycles, in this case.

  5. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "just us" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I went to a meeting last night to form a new Cycle Club in our district.

    It
    > wasnt long before I realised that they are only interested in Racing, and

    > am definitely only a social rider. There was a lot of discussion about
    > insurance, and both hubby and I think that some form of insurance in the
    > event of an accident while on the road would maybe be a good idea. (ie,
    > public liability, injury to me or someone else anytime while I am riding

    my
    > bike, in a non bikeclub activity)
    > Any input?
    > Thanks Kathy

    Hi Kathy,
    If they are are affiliating with Cycling Australia (peak racing body) then
    you're still able to be part of the club, and get a recreational
    membership - it's called Ride it and gets you injury and 3rd party insurance
    for $45 a year. It also means that you've got some fellow club members to
    go riding with!
    http://www.cycling.org.au/Content/NavigationMenu/Membership/Membership_Benefits.htm
    for membership benefits, and
    http://www.cycling.org.au/Content/NavigationMenu/Membership/Insurance/Insurance.htm
    for insurance details and policy wording.

    Well worth a look, and still gives you that 'club spirit' - and if you're
    out 'training', you're insured! Good value for the $$ too!
    Gemm

  6. sinus

    sinus New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    As a recreational rider and commuter, anyone care to comment on BV vs CA.

    I let my BV membership lapse at last renewal. I now rely on liability cover through contents insurance. The CA program seems good, what are the pro's and con's? Should I renew my BV membership?

  7. just us wrote:
    > There was a lot of discussion about
    > insurance, and both hubby and I think that some form of insurance in the
    > event of an accident while on the road would maybe be a good idea. (ie,
    > public liability, injury to me or someone else anytime while I am riding my
    > bike, in a non bikeclub activity)
    > Any input?

    Check your existing home policies.
    If in doubt, telephone your insurance company to enquire,
    then see about an extension (if needed).

    Should be far cheaper than joining one of the state based bodies.

  8. Gemma_k

    Gemma_k Guest

    "Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]com.au...
    > just us wrote:
    > > There was a lot of discussion about
    > > insurance, and both hubby and I think that some form of insurance in the
    > > event of an accident while on the road would maybe be a good idea. (ie,
    > > public liability, injury to me or someone else anytime while I am riding

    my
    > > bike, in a non bikeclub activity)
    > > Any input?

    > Check your existing home policies.
    > If in doubt, telephone your insurance company to enquire,
    > then see about an extension (if needed).
    >
    > Should be far cheaper than joining one of the state based bodies.

    Except the state bodies also cover things like non-medicare costs for your
    own injury - it's not just 3rd party!

  9. Gemma_k wrote:

    > Except the state bodies also cover things like non-medicare costs for your
    > own injury - it's not just 3rd party!

    For me, the $122 (BNSW) just wasn't worth it for a coverage we already
    have or don't need.