insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chickenbomb

how do you guys with expensive bikes go about covering yourself for insurance

i am looking to renew my h+c insurance but they all seem to have limits of £500 for push bikes

trouble is my bike is worth approx £800 and so far touch wood i been lucky

thanks

JC

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> how do you guys with expensive bikes go about covering yourself for insurance
>
> i am looking to renew my h+c insurance but they all seem to have limits of £500 for push bikes
>
> trouble is my bike is worth approx £800 and so far touch wood i been lucky
>
> thanks
>
> JC
>
>
>

I checked with my parents homeowners a little while back. it covers 95% of the estimated resale
value of the bike.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Chickenbomb thoughtfully penned:
>
> i am looking to renew my h+c insurance but they all seem to have limits of £500 for push bikes
>
>
> thanks
>
> JC

see if you can purchase a rider for the excess value, should be cheap.

Penny

Technician thoughtfully penned:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> how do you guys with expensive bikes go about covering yourself for insurance
>>
>> i am looking to renew my h+c insurance but they all seem to have limits of £500 for push bikes
>>
>> trouble is my bike is worth approx £800 and so far touch wood i been lucky
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> JC
>>
>>
>>
>
> I checked with my parents homeowners a little while back. it covers 95% of the estimated resale
> value of the bike.

hmm, my homeowners covers replacement value. resale value only, that's scary.

Penny

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Technician thoughtfully penned:
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
> > says...
> >> how do you guys with expensive bikes go about covering yourself for insurance
> >>
> >> i am looking to renew my h+c insurance but they all seem to have limits of £500 for push bikes
> >>
> >> trouble is my bike is worth approx £800 and so far touch wood i been lucky
> >>
> >> thanks
> >>
> >> JC
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > I checked with my parents homeowners a little while back. it covers 95% of the estimated resale
> > value of the bike.
>
> hmm, my homeowners covers replacement value. resale value only, that's scary.
>
> Penny
>
>
>

and it's not like it is the full resale value either. maybe i could convince them it is worth over a
thousand in frame and parts ;-) maybe it actually is, i don't really know. i'll have to research it
i guess. an estimate would be around what, $300 for a low side, and $600 for a high side? as i have
never really had a quality bike until now i have no way of really estimating it's insurable value by
looking at it.
--
~Travis

travis57 at megalink dot net http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

Technician thoughtfully penned:
>>> I checked with my parents homeowners a little while back. it covers 95% of the estimated resale
>>> value of the bike.
>>
>> hmm, my homeowners covers replacement value. resale value only, that's scary.
>>
>> Penny
>>
>>
>>
>
> and it's not like it is the full resale value either. maybe i could convince them it is worth over
> a thousand in frame and parts ;-) maybe it actually is, i don't really know. i'll have to research
> it i guess. an estimate would be around what, $300 for a low side, and $600 for a high side? as i
> have never really had a quality bike until now i have no way of really estimating it's insurable
> value by looking at
> it.

it depends on your agent. Most require you to submit proof of value... original invoice or
something. For a used bike you'll probably have to do all sorts of "research" to prove your value.

P.

Penny says:

>see if you can purchase a rider for the excess value, should be cheap.

An extra rider? He'd need a tandem in that case...

;-P

Steve

just go out and attempt to buyt hte bike from parts and build a estimate list, lol.

"Penny S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Technician thoughtfully penned:
> >>> I checked with my parents homeowners a little while back. it covers 95% of the estimated
> >>> resale value of the bike.
> >>
> >> hmm, my homeowners covers replacement value. resale value only, that's scary.
> >>
> >> Penny
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > and it's not like it is the full resale value either. maybe i could convince them it is worth
> > over a thousand in frame and parts ;-) maybe it actually is, i don't really know. i'll have to
> > research it i guess. an estimate would be around what, $300 for a low side, and $600 for a high
> > side? as i have never really had a quality bike until now i have no way of really estimating
> > it's insurable value by looking at
> > it.
>
> it depends on your agent. Most require you to submit proof of value... original invoice or
> something. For a used bike you'll probably have to do all sorts of "research" to prove your value.
>
> P.

"Chickenbomb" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
>
>
> thanks
>
> JC
>
>

Most insurance policies will cover replacement value up to a specified
limit. Read the fine print because that limit is usually only $500 or $1000 (an exception sometimes
exists in group policies obtained through a professional association (eg. lawyers through
their law society, etc).

The best approach is to purchase an excess coverage rider for your bike. Purchase the replacement
value amount on your bike. It will cost you x$ per thousand of coverage and usually has zero
deductible.

Status
Not open for further replies.