Insuring Kona + bits ....

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Elyob, May 20, 2003.

  1. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    I've got a Kona (worth about £1000), plus lights (£160) and bits and pieces.

    My home insurance wanted £30-40/month extra. So, no then.

    Can anyone give me a guide to how much I should be looking at.

    I always strip the bike when left in public, and use a Kryptonite New York and cable for
    front wheel.

    As I do leave it in public for an hour once or twice a week, I'm a little paranoid (I always leave
    it right in front of the taxi rank, there's always a taxi driver watching it!). Anyone give any
    advice on insurance? Should I join CTC to get a discount?

    Thanks

    --
    ___________________________________
    www.local-hotel.com www.local-pub.com www.local-restaurant.com

    www.local-serve.com

    Tags:

  2. In message <[email protected]>, elyob <[email protected]> writes
    >I've got a Kona (worth about £1000), plus lights (£160) and bits and pieces.
    >
    >My home insurance wanted £30-40/month extra. So, no then.
    >
    >Can anyone give me a guide to how much I should be looking at.
    >
    >I always strip the bike when left in public, and use a Kryptonite New York and cable for
    >front wheel.
    >
    >As I do leave it in public for an hour once or twice a week, I'm a little paranoid (I always leave
    >it right in front of the taxi rank, there's always a taxi driver watching it!). Anyone give any
    >advice on insurance? Should I join CTC to get a discount?
    >
    >Thanks

    Past postings on here suggest that the CTC has one of the most expensive insurance policies going.
    I've got four bikes insured with CIS and pay less than £30 for them all.
    --
    Michael MacClancy

  3. Sabineuk

    Sabineuk Guest

    "elyob" [email protected] said:

    >I've got a Kona (worth about £1000), plus lights (£160) and bits and pieces.
    >
    >My home insurance wanted £30-40/month extra. So, no then.

    Change insurer? The Co-op's been mentioned before, so has HSBC. I've used Royal Sun Alliance (now
    MoreThan) and been fairly happy with premiums as well as impressed by their claims handling.

    Ask about insuring it as a named item under an all-risks extension rather than under a specific
    pedal cycle extension too.

    John

  4. Wideboythin

    Wideboythin Guest

    > Can anyone give me a guide to how much I should be looking at. As I do leave it in public for an
    > hour once or twice a week, I'm a little paranoid (I always leave it right in front of the taxi
    > rank, there's
    always
    > a taxi driver watching it!). Anyone give any advice on insurance? Should I join CTC to get a
    > discount?

    I went for http://www.cycleguard.co.uk/ because they were the cheapest I could find at the time
    who's policy covered what I wanted (though I wasn't a CTC member back then...).

    I've made one claim which they responded to quickly and were very accomadating. Their customer
    service has always been good too - getting through every time on the phone etc.

    ... Just put my details through the CTC insurance quoter
    (http://www.butterworthinsurance.co.uk/onlinequote.shtml) and it's about 25% cheaper than Cycle
    Guard, as a CTC member (£800 bike: CG=80 CTC=60). Not sure how the policies or service
    compares, though.

    Good luck!

  5. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 13:34:46 GMT, "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've got a Kona (worth about £1000), plus lights (£160) and bits and pieces.
    >
    >My home insurance wanted £30-40/month extra. So, no then.
    >
    >Can anyone give me a guide to how much I should be looking at.

    Like most things, it depends.

    Biggest factor seems to be where you live (wafflycat I believe has close connections with the
    insurance industry and will be along to put me right.

    However, 30-40 notes a month is a lot (one year at 40 per month = 480 notes, so after 2 and a half
    years you've paid for a new one.

    I used Fern Assurance (ads in C+ etc) and ended up paying less than I was before for my household
    plus bikes.

    >I always strip the bike when left in public, and use a Kryptonite New York and cable for
    >front wheel.
    >
    >As I do leave it in public for an hour once or twice a week, I'm a little paranoid (I always leave
    >it right in front of the taxi rank, there's always a taxi driver watching it!). Anyone give any
    >advice on insurance? Should I join CTC to get a discount?

    Why not get a hack bike for those times when you need to leave it in public?

    Tim