Integrated Headset - are the forks specific?

MuzzaB

Oct 12, 2003
Sorry for the silly question - you can tell my bike does not have an integrated headset...

I've just been looking at an advertisement for the ITM Millenium Fork, and note it is described as "for integrated headset". I've never looked closely at integrated headsets ('cause that'd mean I'm looking at a new frame - ouch, no budget for that), but had assumed that the only difference was that the upper and lower bearing cups were part of the steerer tube, as compared to separate headset components. If so, then any A-Head fork of the correct steerer diameter would fit either integrated or conventional A-Head headsets. Am I wrong? Does an integrated headset require a fork designed for it? Is there (for example) no bearing race mounted at the bottom of the steerer?

Thanks for the clarification. I know I should just pop down to my LBS and ask, but I'm tied to the desk.

Originally posted by MuzzaB
Sorry for the silly question - you can tell my bike does not have an integrated headset...

I've just been looking at an advertisement for the ITM Millenium Fork, and note it is described as "for integrated headset". I've never looked closely at integrated headsets ('cause that'd mean I'm looking at a new frame - ouch, no budget for that), but had assumed that the only difference was that the upper and lower bearing cups were part of the steerer tube, as compared to separate headset components. If so, then any A-Head fork of the correct steerer diameter would fit either integrated or conventional A-Head headsets. Am I wrong? Does an integrated headset require a fork designed for it? Is there (for example) no bearing race mounted at the bottom of the steerer?

Thanks for the clarification. I know I should just pop down to my LBS and ask, but I'm tied to the desk.
Integrated forks look better with integrated HS.No functional difference.

I asked the same question on another forum yesterdat and also did a little research.

Functionally the forks are the same. The integrated forks have a larger crown, normally 45mm or 50mm. If you had a bulging headset with a similar diameter, they should still look fine if not better than a non-integrated fork.

Regards,
Sean

Originally posted by buffedupboy

Functionally the forks are the same. The integrated forks have a larger crown, normally 45mm or 50mm.
Don't confuse that with the diameter of the crown race seat.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Don't confuse that with the diameter of the crown race seat.

Yup, in my haste, I forgot to clarify that 45 or 50mm is the crown diameter.... The crown race should be the same dia. for all 1 1/8mm steerers (I think) which is 30mm.

Regards,
Sean

Originally posted by buffedupboy
Yup, in my haste, I forgot to clarify that 45 or 50mm is the crown diameter.... The crown race should be the same dia. for all 1 1/8mm steerers (I think) which is 30mm.

Regards,
Sean

Thanks for your collective input. Problem solved.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Integrated forks look better with integrated HS.No functional difference.

What about the Campy Hiddenset as used on many C'dale CAAD5 and later frames? Are they just "standard" integrated headset/fork by a different name or are they actually different technically?

Thanks for the clarification,
Tech72

There are two common dimensions/types of Integrated headsets, Cane Creek Std. and Campy Std. Cane Creek is 36 x 45 Degree angular contact bearings, with a bearing OD of 41mm. Campy Hiddensets use a 45 x 45 degree ACB and have a little larger OD of 41.8mm. You cannot interchange the bearings or other parts, but otherwise they function pretty much the same.
Cane Creek Std headsets are designed to go into a 45mm OD head tube, while Campy is supposed to have a 46mm OD headtube. Here in the USA, the trend seems to be Cane Creek for Road/MTB and Campy Std for BMX, but that is not a rule by any means, as companies seem to be all over the board.
Hope this helps.