Integrated headset crown race question

John Verheul

Guest
I'm trying to fit a Reynolds Ouzo Pro integrated fork into a Specialized E5
frame, using a Ritchey Zero Pro integrated HS. The frame & headset are 44mm
bearing diameter, so that works...my problem is down at the crown race.
Ritchey uses a split ring as a crown race, which seems odd. The fork has a
nice 30.0mm OD aluminum sleeve there, which the bearing fits on perfectly.
When I put the crown race in there, there seems like there's too much space
between the edge of the head tube and the edge of the fork crown (>1mm), but
if I try it with no crown race the head tube rubs just a bit on the fork
crown, plus there's no 45' surface for the bearing to sit on.

Do I have the wrong crown race? If so, where can I get a crown race that'll
work in this situation?

John Verheul wrote:
> I'm trying to fit a Reynolds Ouzo Pro integrated fork into a Specialized E5
> frame, using a Ritchey Zero Pro integrated HS. The frame & headset are 44mm
> bearing diameter, so that works...my problem is down at the crown race.
> Ritchey uses a split ring as a crown race, which seems odd.

At least a few brands do this, I like it. It accommodates a wider range
of fork diameters, and reduces difficulty removing the race if the fit
is especially tight.

> The fork has a
> nice 30.0mm OD aluminum sleeve there,

That's to spec, IIRC.

> which the bearing fits on perfectly.
> When I put the crown race in there, there seems like there's too much space
> between the edge of the head tube and the edge of the fork crown (>1mm),

This varies, a little clearance is all that's needed but often the gap
is about 2 mm.

> but
> if I try it with no crown race the head tube rubs just a bit on the fork
> crown,

Supposed to have the crown race in there to prevent that...

> plus there's no 45' surface for the bearing to sit on.

The bearing works best with the 45 degree seat.

> Do I have the wrong crown race?

No.

> If so, where can I get a crown race that'll
> work in this situation?

You have it.

To paraphrase Peter: Install crown race, assemble headset, go ride.

John Verheul wrote:
> I'm trying to fit a Reynolds Ouzo Pro integrated fork into a Specialized E5
> frame, using a Ritchey Zero Pro integrated HS. The frame & headset are 44mm
> bearing diameter, so that works...my problem is down at the crown race.
> Ritchey uses a split ring as a crown race, which seems odd. The fork has a
> nice 30.0mm OD aluminum sleeve there, which the bearing fits on perfectly.
> When I put the crown race in there, there seems like there's too much space
> between the edge of the head tube and the edge of the fork crown (>1mm), but
> if I try it with no crown race the head tube rubs just a bit on the fork
> crown, plus there's no 45' surface for the bearing to sit on.
>
> Do I have the wrong crown race? If so, where can I get a crown race that'll
> work in this situation?

Right parts, some forks will give you a wee space there.