integrated headset question

alex001

Oct 1, 2003
will all integrated headsets work with an integrated headset compatible bike? More specifically which Int. Headsets will work with the leader 716?

alex001 said:
will all integrated headsets work with an integrated headset compatible bike? More specifically which Int. Headsets will work with the leader 716?
No. The headtube needs to be milled to the proper diameter and taper profile for the specific headset design. These vary for different manufacturers. Sometimes it may be possible to remill for a different design, but it is not trivial. It can be dangerous if done improperly.

see:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?t=192988
for a similar discussion.

Not sure about the 716, but I believe that most of Leader frames are cut for Cane Creek IS bearings.

alex001 said:
will all of the is models work given that they are 1 1/8 size?
Aside from IS-2i and IS-8i which utilize the Campy integrated standard, I believe the Cane Creek ISs should be interchangeable. (aside from short vs. tall top bearing cover)

You should ask them [Leader] this question, too, but I have a Cane Creek IS6 on a leader bike frame I bought from them, for which they made a good deal as an option for the frame ($30 I think?). I have another cheap integrated headset frame (Scattante) and it will not work with the IS6. It's an Aheadset (which one I don't remember now), but the bearings, though they look neary identical, will not fit into the Leader nor vice versa. Careful here.

alex001 said: