Integrated Headset-Specific Forks...Are they necessary?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mike, Jun 13, 2003.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I see some manufacturers (Reynolds, Profile, Columbus) now manufacture forks for bikes w/ integrated
    headsets. Is this just aesthetic, i.e. getting those smooth lines between the head tube and fork? Or
    is there a functional purpose?

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    No good functional reason. Just to drive us nuts. Seriously, I would guess that it started with the
    intention to make it look cleaner but it is also a way that a lot of frame builders ensure that you
    also buy the folk.

    "Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I see some manufacturers (Reynolds, Profile, Columbus) now manufacture forks for bikes w/
    > integrated headsets. Is this just aesthetic, i.e. getting those smooth lines between the head tube
    > and fork? Or is there a functional purpose?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Nick Payne

    Nick Payne Guest

    It's just for looks. As I already had a Look non-integrated HSC3 fork, I put it on a Litespeed
    integrated-headtube frame that I purchased, and it works fine.

    Nick

  4. Mike wrote:
    > I see some manufacturers (Reynolds, Profile, Columbus) now manufacture forks for bikes w/
    > integrated headsets. Is this just aesthetic, i.e. getting those smooth lines between the head tube
    > and fork? Or is there a functional purpose?

    Yes, forks for integrated headsets are only for aesthetics. Which only follows, since the integrated
    headset itself is only for aesthetics.

    Mark McMaster [email protected]

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > Mike wrote:
    > > I see some manufacturers (Reynolds, Profile, Columbus) now manufacture forks for bikes w/
    > > integrated headsets. Is this just aesthetic, i.e. getting those smooth lines between the head
    > > tube and fork? Or is there a functional purpose?

    "Mark McMaster" <[email protected]> , with his usual sharp eye, wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yes, forks for integrated headsets are only for aesthetics. Which only follows, since the
    > integrated headset itself is only for aesthetics.

    Or lack thereof