Integrated Headset-Specific Forks...Are they necessary?

Mike

Guest
I see some manufacturers (Reynolds, Profile, Columbus) now manufacture forks for bikes w/ integrated
headsets. Is this just aesthetic, i.e. getting those smooth lines between the head tube and fork? Or
is there a functional purpose?

Thanks.

No good functional reason. Just to drive us nuts. Seriously, I would guess that it started with the
intention to make it look cleaner but it is also a way that a lot of frame builders ensure that you
also buy the folk.

"Mike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I see some manufacturers (Reynolds, Profile, Columbus) now manufacture forks for bikes w/
> integrated headsets. Is this just aesthetic, i.e. getting those smooth lines between the head tube
> and fork? Or is there a functional purpose?
>
> Thanks.

It's just for looks. As I already had a Look non-integrated HSC3 fork, I put it on a Litespeed
integrated-headtube frame that I purchased, and it works fine.

Nick

Mike wrote:
> I see some manufacturers (Reynolds, Profile, Columbus) now manufacture forks for bikes w/
> integrated headsets. Is this just aesthetic, i.e. getting those smooth lines between the head tube
> and fork? Or is there a functional purpose?

Yes, forks for integrated headsets are only for aesthetics. Which only follows, since the integrated
headset itself is only for aesthetics.

Mark McMaster [email protected]

> Mike wrote:
> > I see some manufacturers (Reynolds, Profile, Columbus) now manufacture forks for bikes w/
> > integrated headsets. Is this just aesthetic, i.e. getting those smooth lines between the head
> > tube and fork? Or is there a functional purpose?

"Mark McMaster" <[email protected]> , with his usual sharp eye, wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yes, forks for integrated headsets are only for aesthetics. Which only follows, since the
> integrated headset itself is only for aesthetics.

Or lack thereof