Integrated Headset Thoughts or Feelings?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by scottshields, May 10, 2004.

1. scottshields

scottshields New Member

I'd like to hear from people with integrated headsets about their experiences compared to traditional headsets.

I recently bought a Look KG386i with an integrated headset. I have about 1500 miles on it and have had some difficulty keeping the headset adjusted. I tighten it to remove the play and a few hundred miles later the play seems to come back ever so slightly. I read Chris King's white paper on integrated headsets. For those who haven’t here's a link to their version of the integrated headset the Perdido. The white paper link is on the bottom of the page:

http://www.chrisking.com/headsets/hds_perdido.html

Having a carbon frame this article concerns me. I realize it was designed to scare me but even so it still concerns me. Because I have a carbon steer tube I tighten my stem to 78 inch/pounds (per Ritchey's spec). I've heard this may allow a minimal amount of slip on the stem witch may cause the headset to get loosen a bit over time. I have read about sanding the inside of the stem a bit to rough up the contact point and plan to try that if I can't get anything else to work.

Does anyone else have the same issue? Has anyone tried a Perdido?

Does any think Chris King is full of BS?

Tags:

2. fushman

fushman New Member

i think all else being equal id choose a traditional headset over an integrated one, but that ya ck is full of bs!

3. scottshields

scottshields New Member

I hope you're right! I don't know what's worse the marketing for the integrated headset (when to me it's purely aesthetics) or CK's marketing.

We need Boudreaux hooey filter for this one!

Scott

4. daveornee

daveornee New Member

My Litespeed Blue Ridge touring bicycle came with an integrated headset. I didn't like the idea, but after over 5,000 miles of loaded touring I haven't had to touch it. I am using a Waterford steel fork designed for touring that fits the 1-1/8" headset.
    I appreciate Chris King's input, but some things come as a compromise in the overall solution.

5. Philman

Philman New Member

Uumm, well it actually is rarely a problem...always loosening headsets. But it can depend on the brand of headset. I was not a fan of the idea of integrated headsets when they came on the scene...but working in bike shops and having seen plenty of bikes now thusly equiped I don't see any problems. There are a few things you can try that have helped a couple of my customers. No. 1: find a shop that has the J.A.Stein STEM FACER tool. Even the most nicely looking made new stems can be amazingly "sloppy" in this regard. And the same as it applied to frames with press-in headsets...a stem that is not faced properly will cause problems. They will want to charge you a bit to face the stem (top and bottom) but can save many headaches. Also, Chris King makes a tiny-thin "washer/spacer" for use under your normal spacers to help combat the same problem. It works for any kind of headset I have found. Probably would have to get it ordered from CK...just a little white washer. I forget the exact name they give it. Try either one of these and you should be ok! Good luck.

6. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

So why did you buy it? If there are removable cups in the HT it's an internal design, and not truly 'integrated',and somewhat less of a worry. CK is a bit alarmist and self serving on the issue.

7. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

I've read stuff in cycling mags saying that integrated headsets are possibly more prone to working loose or causing frame damage than standard threadless headsets, but CK does seem to be getting a bit hysterical about it.

8. scottshields

scottshields New Member

I haven't bought one yet. I currently have an FSA and am just trying to gather info on the topic. In the end I'll probably just stick with what I have. I was just curious if anyone else had expierences or opinions on the matter.

Scott

9. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

What do you mean you haven't bought one.??? Am I reading this wrong or has someone had too much crack? Integrated HS in various forms and in different frame materials have been around for some time. I have not heard of any real issues,other that possible rare loosening one mentioned by the other poster, and that is not unique to IHS.

10. scottshields

scottshields New Member

Thought you were referring to a CK Perdido..

S