Integrated headset trouble/questions

Boyd Speerschne

Guest
Hello,

I recently installed an integrated headset in a NOS road
frame (2002 Fuji Team). It is a Giant 1 1/8" integrated
headset (made by FSA). Fuji's website shows this frame was
built it up using a Richey Logic Pro integrated headset.

Anyway, I'm having trouble adjusting this correctly. Either
it is too loose and creaks like crazy, or too tight and
won't steer properly. FWIW, I'm using the fork from an older
bike and didn't bother switching the fork race, as it was
identical to the one that came with the headset.

Do I need to get the Richey headset? Do I need a different
locking spacer?

What gives?

Thanks in advance,

- Boyd S.

As with any headset problem, the fundementals include a
swipe with a facer/reamer, only the integrated type is
expensive and rare. Cane creek sells a nice one and they
should be able to tell you who in your area has one. With
mine, I have picked up some high spots on some otherwise
nice frames. Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles
"Where art meets science"
Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed an integrated headset in a NOS road frame (2002 Fuji
> Team). It is a Giant 1 1/8" integrated headset (made by FSA). Fuji's
website
> shows this frame was built it up using a Richey Logic Pro integrated
headset.

> Anyway, I'm having trouble adjusting this correctly. Either it is too
loose
> and creaks like crazy, or too tight and won't steer properly. FWIW, I'm
> using the fork from an older bike and didn't bother switching the fork
race,
> as it was identical to the one that came with the headset.
>
> Do I need to get the Richey headset?
> Do I need a different locking spacer?
>
> What gives?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Boyd S.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed an integrated headset in a NOS road
> frame (2002 Fuji Team). It is a Giant 1 1/8" integrated
> headset (made by FSA). Fuji's
website
> shows this frame was built it up using a Richey Logic Pro
> integrated
headset.

> Anyway, I'm having trouble adjusting this correctly.
> Either it is too loose and creaks like crazy, or too tight
> and won't steer properly. FWIW, I'm using the fork from an
> older bike and didn't bother switching the fork race, as
> it was identical to the one that came with the headset.
>
> Do I need to get the Richey headset? Do I need a different
> locking spacer?

Are you sure you've got the pieces installed in the right
order, the right side up? Headsets can be very counter-
intuitive that way (at least to me).

Peter Cole wrote:
> "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I recently installed an integrated headset in a NOS road
>>frame (2002 Fuji Team). It is a Giant 1 1/8" integrated
>>headset (made by FSA). Fuji's
>
> website
>
>>shows this frame was built it up using a Richey Logic Pro
>>integrated
>
> headset.
>
>>Anyway, I'm having trouble adjusting this correctly.
>>Either it is too loose and creaks like crazy, or too tight
>>and won't steer properly. FWIW, I'm using the fork from an
>>older bike and didn't bother switching the fork race, as
>>it was identical to the one that came with the headset.
>>
>>Do I need to get the Richey headset? Do I need a different
>>locking spacer?
>

> Are you sure you've got the pieces installed in the right
> order, the right side up? Headsets can be very counter-
> intuitive that way (at least to me).

i second that. i had adjustment troubles on a mtb and was
told that the headset needed to "bed in". it turned out that
one of the bearing cartridges was in upside down.

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
> I recently installed an integrated headset in a NOS road
> frame (2002 Fuji Team). It is a Giant 1 1/8" integrated
> headset (made by FSA). Fuji's website shows this frame was
> built it up using a Richey Logic Pro integrated headset.
>
> Anyway, I'm having trouble adjusting this correctly.
> Either it is too loose and creaks like crazy, or too tight
> and won't steer properly. FWIW, I'm using the fork from an
> older bike and didn't bother switching the fork race, as
> it was identical to the one that came with the headset.
-snip- Identical with a caliper or with a quick glance? Your
description sounds more like an upside-down retainer or a
misplaced seal than the wrong crown race but any are
consistent. Oh, and some Ritchey headsets use larger
bearings on bottom than on top. Did you reverse them?

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1
April, 1971