Integrated headsets suck

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ctg, Jul 6, 2003.

  1. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    I knew this was going to come back and bite me in the ass when I bought the damn thing.

    What a rotten idea.

    Chris

    Tags:

  2. "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:UV%[email protected]...
    > I knew this was going to come back and bite me in the ass when I bought
    the
    > damn thing.

    Nice. You post an opinion without telling us why you feel this way. Care to tell? I have a IH so
    this could help.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  3. Alan McClure

    Alan McClure Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:UV%[email protected]...
    > > I knew this was going to come back and bite me in the ass when I bought
    > the
    > > damn thing.
    >
    > Nice. You post an opinion without telling us why you feel this way. Care to tell? I have a IH so
    > this could help.
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Looks like maybe there is a higher possibility of frame damage with the integrated headset since
    there is no cup to contain the bearings. That is what I got from the link.

    A.

  4. > Looks like maybe there is a higher possibility of frame damage with the integrated headset since
    > there is no cup to contain the bearings. That is what I got from the link.

    I read it too, and personally, I don't ride hard or long enough to cause that kind of damage.

    Grain of salt too... Chris King has to protect its interests. Couldn't you tell the sort of overt
    gravity with which the writer of the article attributed frame damage to integrated headsets?

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  5. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:UV%[email protected]...
    > I knew this was going to come back and bite me in the ass when I bought
    the
    > damn thing.
    >
    > What a rotten idea.
    >
    > Chris

    Agreed, my Homegrown uses one... and although it works fine, it prevents me from getting a CK.

    -Bitter

  6. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Es6Oa.95427$%[email protected]...

    > "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:UV%[email protected]...
    > > I knew this was going to come back and bite me in the ass when I bought
    > the
    > > damn thing.
    > >
    > > What a rotten idea.
    > >
    > > Chris
    >
    > Agreed, my Homegrown uses one... and although it works fine, it prevents
    me
    > from getting a CK.
    >
    > -Bitter

    Yes, and wait until it fails and you're forced to mail order one since Paciific/Schwinn went
    Wallyworld. Not the end of the world but still a pain in the ass. Also sucks having no real choice
    for replacement. And just try finding a derailleur hanger...no, really try, and let me know if you
    find one for an '01 Moab.;)

    Chris

  7. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Looks like maybe there is a higher possibility of frame damage with the integrated headset since
    > > there is no cup to contain the bearings. That
    is
    > > what I got from the link.
    >
    > I read it too, and personally, I don't ride hard or long enough to cause that kind of damage.

    I think my riding is pretty tame but it still led to headset failure in about two years. (Full
    disclosure: some of the fault is mine, temps in the 90's and highway speeds seems to have dried out
    the headset a bit too much IMO, still had grease but not alot. Check your headset if you do alot of
    road trips.) Luckily Schwinn went with (as King calls it) an internal, or semi-integrated set, so
    the bearings don't actually ride on the frame. I don't know how anyone could think true internal is
    a good design idea.

    Chris

    > Grain of salt too... Chris King has to protect its interests. Couldn't
    you
    > tell the sort of overt gravity with which the writer of the article attributed frame damage to
    > integrated headsets?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > > Looks like maybe there is a higher possibility of frame damage with the integrated headset since
    > > there is no cup to contain the bearings. That is what I got from the link.
    >
    > I read it too, and personally, I don't ride hard or long enough to cause that kind of damage.
    >
    > Grain of salt too... Chris King has to protect its interests. Couldn't you tell the sort of overt
    > gravity with which the writer of the article attributed frame damage to integrated headsets?
    >
    > --
    > Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Chris King could very easily make integrated headsets, but they won't.
    --
    _________________________

  10. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    > Yes, and wait until it fails and you're forced to mail order one since Paciific/Schwinn went
    > Wallyworld. Not the end of the world but still a
    pain
    > in the ass. Also sucks having no real choice for replacement. And just try finding a derailleur
    > hanger...no, really try, and let me know if you find one for an '01 Moab.;)
    >
    > Chris

    https://secure1.nexternal.com/shared/StoreFront/default.asp?CS=Icycles&BusTy
    pe=BtoC&Count1=240429103&Count2=157569527&Target=products%2Easp&CategoryID=4 4

    That's a long link, but I think you'll find treasure at the end of the rainbow on this one. Looks
    exactly like the derailer hanger on my Homegrown... not that I've ever broken one. =)

    -John Morgan