Integrated headsets

laryhead

Aug 31, 2003
I have a Merlin XL Compact that has a Cane Creek integrated headset. I am having trouble getting it adjusted right. When I tighten the compression nut just snug and then torque the stem, then binding occurs. When I adjust it loosely so that it turns freely, it creaks and pops when I stand to climb. I fear I may be in danger of damaging the frame if I try to ride it loosely, but really hate the feel of the binding. The bearings appear oK. Anybody got any suggestions? :confused:

Originally posted by laryhead
I have a Merlin XL Compact that has a Cane Creek integrated headset. I am having trouble getting it adjusted right. When I tighten the compression nut just snug and then torque the stem, then binding occurs. When I adjust it loosely so that it turns freely, it creaks and pops when I stand to climb. I fear I may be in danger of damaging the frame if I try to ride it loosely, but really hate the feel of the binding. The bearings appear oK. Anybody got any suggestions? :confused:
If everyone on here is as helpful as you I sure am glad I took the time to join. Thank you for your well reasoned and inciteful opinion.

you asked for suggestions and I gave you a good one.

integrated headsets are junk, purely cosmetic, and offer absolutely no advantage. people that have trouble with their's seem to continuously have trouble. frame makers have come up with a way to sell more frames. you recognized the problem...integrated headsets screw up
the head tube, then BAM! throw out the frame and buy another.

insightful enough?

don't worry too much about the guys who base their self worth on being a "senior member". first, go to the cane creek website and download the manual for your headset -- you might find some clues there. i have a campy integrated headset and had some similar problems, but have worked them out. if your problem is like mine, it's only a matter of getting the bearing races seated correctly. if you've had your bike for less than a year, go back to the bike shop and have them look at it. here's the key with bike shops: go armed with knowledge. don't tell them how to solve the problem. merely tell them the symptoms and listen to their response -- if you're not satisified with what they're saying, keep asking questions. i ended up with the senior mech / shop owner before we came to the right conclusion. thousands of miles later, no problems. good luck and don't give up on cyclingforums.

When you pit the cups that hold the bearings of a normal headset from usage, all you have to do is replace the headset cups.

There are 2 types of integrated headset systems. One is the kind that uses replaceable cups that fit into the headtube. When those get pitted, all you have to do is replace the internal headset cups as usual. The other kind uses the inside of the headtube itself as the cups meaning there are NO replaceable cups. When this gets pitted, you're out of luck and it's time to buy a new frame.

Also, knowing what kind of integrated headset system you are using will determine what you're options are. Good move to go to a bike shop and ask them what options you have.

tbwiv...don't pretend to understand what my I base my self worth upon. it certainly isn't the fact that I am a senior member of this forum. afterall, you, too, will be a senior member one day if you submit the requisite number of posts. if you can become a senior member, the club can't be very exclusive, and therefore nothing to cause a bloated ego. your cheap personal attack is an indication of your weak character and a poor reflection on you

(for the record, my above average feeling of self worth is based on my good looks, great physique, superior intellect, and vast wealth.)

Originally posted by rv
tbwiv...don't pretend to understand what my I base my self worth upon. it certainly isn't the fact that I am a senior member of this forum. afterall, you, too, will be a senior member one day if you submit the requisite number of posts. if you can become a senior member, the club can't be very exclusive, and therefore nothing to cause a bloated ego. your cheap personal attack is an indication of your weak character and a poor reflection on you

(for the record, my above average feeling of self worth is based on my good looks, great physique, superior intellect, and vast wealth.)

Well, I'm going with tbwiv on this one. You're response is not only rude, but it shows that you don't really know much about integrated headsets. If I'm wrong, then maybe you can give the dude something more useful than the "go buy a new bike" ****.

Bacardi and tbwiv - thanks for your intelligent replies. Just a little more info. My headset has no internal cups. There is no apparent damage in the headtube itself. Everything feels nice and smooth with no pitting. These angular contact bearings appear like they have a little wear, but nothing that is drastic. When I fit it together dry, it appears to seat well and and it turns as smooth as silk before I start tightening down on it. I tried packing it with exta grease to see if it made any difference, but I couldn't feel any. I'm at the point now that I would love to just change out the bearings and see if thats the problem. Do you think you can order them by themselves, or will I have to get a whole new headset. I've looked around and haven't seen bearings for the IS6 listed anywhere.

Are you sure the Stem has plenty of Grease on it ? I'm wondering if you have 2 problems ? Remove the Fork, Grease the Heck out of the Stem/Tube re-install and set Bearing Preload then lock Stem in place.

I had a similar problem but it turned out to be the Steering Tube was excessively dry.