Integrated Headsets

Chuck731

Nov 15, 2005
I noticed that several manufacturers have went back from integrated headsets to normal threadless headsets. I also noticed there are a lot fewer choices in integrated headsets. Is integrated headsets going extinct? Is there some critical flaw in it that's causing it to be abandoned?

Since I just got a frame with integrated headset, should I go out and buy a spare heatset soon just in case?

Chuck731 said:
I noticed that several manufacturers have went back from integrated headsets to normal threadless headsets. I also noticed there are a lot fewer choices in integrated headsets. Is integrated headsets going extinct? Is there some critical flaw in it that's causing it to be abandoned?

Since I just got a frame with integrated headset, should I go out and buy a spare heatset soon just in case?

Basically there is no press-in bearing cup in an integrated headset. When the integrated headset bearing seat finally is worn out the bike is likely to be so old that it would be difficult to replace. That said, likely a new bike would be the more desireable option. The headset of a bike is granted, a wearing part, but lasts much longer than the drivetrain.

Chuck731 said:

No. Integrated HS isn't going away anytime soon. Lightspeed reverted to traditional threadless headsets after they found that was the most asked for custom option on their bikes. Looking at bike models for next year, it looks like integrated will be around for quite some time.