Integrated headsets

LeDomestique said:
Have you guys seen this:

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_1.html

At first sight, looks right in what he's saying.

You guys agree?

No, nothing wrong with integrated headsets. There is a ton of historical politics behind the whole integrated headset movement which has been opposed by Chris King because he came out on the losing end of the manufacturing standard battle. Not sure of all the specific, but they are out there. This is like Sarah Brady giving an "unbiased" opinion on gun control.

LeDomestique said:
Have you guys seen this:

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_1.html

At first sight, looks right in what he's saying.

You guys agree?
I agree about the non-standardized part, since I just replaced the fork in a Pinarello Opera and had to re-use everything due to lack of replacement parts available. As far as looks go, I have one bike with an integrated headset and the other with a standard one (a King). The standard one looks nicer IMHO. I know some companies like Litespeed have gone back to traditional headsets and Trek, IF, Pegoretti and Lemond have always used the traditional as well. Having just replaced an integrated fork, I can say my next bike will be traditional (non-integrated).

PeterF said:
I agree about the non-standardized part, since I just replaced the fork in a Pinarello Opera and had to re-use everything due to lack of replacement parts available. As far as looks go, I have one bike with an integrated headset and the other with a standard one (a King). The standard one looks nicer IMHO. I know some companies like Litespeed have gone back to traditional headsets and Trek, IF, Pegoretti and Lemond have always used the traditional as well. Having just replaced an integrated fork, I can say my next bike will be traditional (non-integrated).
I believe that Lemond has gone pretty much to IS headsets on all but the traditional steel frames in it's road bike lineup.

supergrill said:
I believe that Lemond has gone pretty much to IS headsets on all but the traditional steel frames in it's road bike lineup.
I was thinking about a friend's Tete de Course, but that's a couple years old now. The best thing would be if Chris King made an indegrated headset just like, Ritchey, Campy, FSA etc. I'm not sure if the Integrated headset is going away any time soon, and I would buy a King replacement for my Pinarello in a heartbeat.

PeterF said:
I was thinking about a friend's Tete de Course, but that's a couple years old now. The best thing would be if Chris King made an indegrated headset just like, Ritchey, Campy, FSA etc. I'm not sure if the Integrated headset is going away any time soon, and I would buy a King replacement for my Pinarello in a heartbeat.
Well, that's pretty much his point. The quality of an integrated headset depends to a huge extent on the machining of the stops in the head tube. Chris King has no control over that when the bike is new and has no control over long term wear factors. That's why he says that he doesn't want to get involved with them.

Retro Grouch said:
Well, that's pretty much his point. The quality of an integrated headset depends to a huge extent on the machining of the stops in the head tube. Chris King has no control over that when the bike is new and has no control over long term wear factors. That's why he says that he doesn't want to get involved with them.
True enough. I guess it would be tough to offer a 10 year warranty when you're only providing half the product. Still, I would like to see his offering...

Chris King sells headsets.
I wish manufacturers would stop this new trend of negative ads and information.

The Evil Twin said:
I agree. I think CK lost it for me when he went into promoting his headsets by way of attacking the other. The consumer will be the judge in the long run.

The Evil Twin said:
Yeah, positive ads and ******** are much more preferable.

--BD (Rocking CK headsets on all my bikes for the last 10 years.)