Integrated vs. conventional headset

Erik Lindeberg

Guest
How much does a conventional headset (e.g. Chris King)
increase the effective length of the head tube compared to
an integrated headset? I will buy a custom size frame
with conventional head set and I am using my present frame
as basis for specifying my new "ideal" frame geometry and my
present bike has integrated headset.

An other way to put the question: How much shorter must the
head tube be on the new frame with conventional head set
if I want to use my present fork with given steerer
tube length without reducing the spacer height?

Erik
(Anti spam: replace com with no from the email address)

"Erik Lindeberg" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> How much does a conventional headset (e.g. Chris King)
> increase the effective length of the head tube compared to
> an integrated headset? I will buy a custom size frame
> with conventional head set and I am using my present frame
> as basis for specifying my new "ideal" frame geometry and my
> present bike has integrated headset.
>
> An other way to put the question: How much shorter must the
> head tube be on the new frame with conventional head set
> if I want to use my present fork with given steerer
> tube length without reducing the spacer height?
>
> Erik
> (Anti spam: replace com with no from the email address)

Headtubelength without Chris King headset: 126 mm
Headtubelength with Chris King headset: 160 mm

Lou

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:33:03 +0200, "Erik Lindeberg"
<[email protected]> may have said:

>How much does a conventional headset (e.g. Chris King)
>increase the effective length of the head tube compared to
>an integrated headset? I will buy a custom size frame
>with conventional head set and I am using my present frame
>as basis for specifying my new "ideal" frame geometry and my
>present bike has integrated headset.
>
>An other way to put the question: How much shorter must the
>head tube be on the new frame with conventional head set
>if I want to use my present fork with given steerer
>tube length without reducing the spacer height?

The "stack height" specified for the headset tells you how much steer
tube length is "used up" by the headset. Add that to the head tube
length and the stem clamp length, subtract 5mm, and you've got the
minimum steer tube length that you can shop for.

By the way, integrated headsets have a potentially serious drawback.
Go with an *internal* headset instead, to achieve the same result
without the inherent problem More about the issue can be found here:

http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_appendix1.html

For the line-wrap-challenged, http://tinyurl.com/2jvzv

One more caveat: it is likely that the greatest degree of
servicability and long-term economy will continue to be achieved via
the use of a conventional headset, at least for the near future.

There is some disagreement about the significance of the alleged
advantages of an internal headset over a conventional one.

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Headtubelength without Chris King headset: 126 mm
> Headtubelength with Chris King headset: 160 mm

Yes, and I found some more information on the web.
The typical stack height for a conventional 1 1/8"
threadless headset is 31.4 mm (Chris King)
while the corresponding value for an integrated headset
is about 10 mm.

Erik

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:35:08 GMT, Werehatrack
<[email protected]> wrote:
>There is some disagreement about the significance of the alleged
>advantages of an internal headset over a conventional one.

I have one; is there any advantage other than the ability to get the
stem mounted lower? That's one advantage that I don't need anyway...
--
Rick Onanian

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> The "stack height" specified for the headset tells you how much steer
> tube length is "used up" by the headset. Add that to the head tube
> length and the stem clamp length, subtract 5mm, and you've got the
> minimum steer tube length that you can shop for.

What's the 5mm? Is that the maximum suggested gap betwen the top of
the stem clamp and the top of the steerer?

Peter Storey