Integrated vs. conventional headset

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Erik Lindeberg, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. How much does a conventional headset (e.g. Chris King)
    increase the effective length of the head tube compared to
    an integrated headset? I will buy a custom size frame
    with conventional head set and I am using my present frame
    as basis for specifying my new "ideal" frame geometry and my
    present bike has integrated headset.

    An other way to put the question: How much shorter must the
    head tube be on the new frame with conventional head set
    if I want to use my present fork with given steerer
    tube length without reducing the spacer height?

    Erik
    (Anti spam: replace com with no from the email address)

    Tags:

  2. Lou Holtman

    Lou Holtman Guest

    "Erik Lindeberg" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]
    > How much does a conventional headset (e.g. Chris King)
    > increase the effective length of the head tube compared to
    > an integrated headset? I will buy a custom size frame
    > with conventional head set and I am using my present frame
    > as basis for specifying my new "ideal" frame geometry and my
    > present bike has integrated headset.
    >
    > An other way to put the question: How much shorter must the
    > head tube be on the new frame with conventional head set
    > if I want to use my present fork with given steerer
    > tube length without reducing the spacer height?
    >
    > Erik
    > (Anti spam: replace com with no from the email address)

    Headtubelength without Chris King headset: 126 mm
    Headtubelength with Chris King headset: 160 mm

    Lou

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 11:33:03 +0200, "Erik Lindeberg"
    <[email protected]> may have said:

    >How much does a conventional headset (e.g. Chris King)
    >increase the effective length of the head tube compared to
    >an integrated headset? I will buy a custom size frame
    >with conventional head set and I am using my present frame
    >as basis for specifying my new "ideal" frame geometry and my
    >present bike has integrated headset.
    >
    >An other way to put the question: How much shorter must the
    >head tube be on the new frame with conventional head set
    >if I want to use my present fork with given steerer
    >tube length without reducing the spacer height?

    The "stack height" specified for the headset tells you how much steer
    tube length is "used up" by the headset. Add that to the head tube
    length and the stem clamp length, subtract 5mm, and you've got the
    minimum steer tube length that you can shop for.

    By the way, integrated headsets have a potentially serious drawback.
    Go with an *internal* headset instead, to achieve the same result
    without the inherent problem More about the issue can be found here:

    http://www.chrisking.com/tech/int_headsets_explained/int_hds_explain_appendix1.html

    For the line-wrap-challenged, http://tinyurl.com/2jvzv

    One more caveat: it is likely that the greatest degree of
    servicability and long-term economy will continue to be achieved via
    the use of a conventional headset, at least for the near future.

    There is some disagreement about the significance of the alleged
    advantages of an internal headset over a conventional one.

  4. "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Headtubelength without Chris King headset: 126 mm
    > Headtubelength with Chris King headset: 160 mm

    Yes, and I found some more information on the web.
    The typical stack height for a conventional 1 1/8"
    threadless headset is 31.4 mm (Chris King)
    while the corresponding value for an integrated headset
    is about 10 mm.

    Erik

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 17:35:08 GMT, Werehatrack
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >There is some disagreement about the significance of the alleged
    >advantages of an internal headset over a conventional one.

    I have one; is there any advantage other than the ability to get the
    stem mounted lower? That's one advantage that I don't need anyway...
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. Peter Storey

    Peter Storey Guest

    Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > The "stack height" specified for the headset tells you how much steer
    > tube length is "used up" by the headset. Add that to the head tube
    > length and the stem clamp length, subtract 5mm, and you've got the
    > minimum steer tube length that you can shop for.

    What's the 5mm? Is that the maximum suggested gap betwen the top of
    the stem clamp and the top of the steerer?

    Peter Storey