Intense Couple of Moments :-]

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by g19glock1, Jun 29, 2003.

  1. g19glock1

    g19glock1 New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2003
    I got up yesterday with a couple of projects to do prior to going on my daily ride. I needed to check the rear brakes on the car so I pulled the hub, they were fine. Needed to do maintenance on the mower, got that done too. Then the fun part, clean the V-rex. Made her spotless and clean, got her drive train well lubed and ready for action...(hmmm that sounds like porn).;)

    Anyway, my goal was to ride 50 with that in mind I headed into the wind. It was blowing steady at about 17mph and it was no easy feat to ride into it for as long as I knew that I would have to. I rode at about 11mph in a low gear that I could spin fairly easy so as not to have to work too hard at it. I got about 13 miles from home and stopped in Centreville MI at a Shell Mart for a couple of Gatorades and while drinking one of them I looked over my shoulder and the sky was turning quite dark. As I had been riding into the wind I knew that this darkness was headed my way.

    The storm looked to be about 10 miles from me so I thought that I would just head home and see if I could beat it. With the wind at my back I took off, after answering a couple of question from a man and his son, (had to be polite, and I love talking about my bike). With the wind as a push I rode easily at 17 mph and just ate the miles up. About 2/3rds of the way home I noticed rain drops beginnng to fall and the wind picking up. I looked over my shoulder at the sky and the blackness was on my 6. Lightning began to light the sky and the cracking of the thunder was deafening. Streaks of white light smacked the ground not too distant from me and I began to pray.

    Halfway up Marvin road a the heavens opened up with a downpour to rival anything that I had ever seen. With the lightning and thunder cracking all around me I sped onward. I got to the main highway, M-66, (about 6 miles from home), and the wind, rain, and thunder busters were so intense and heavy that the cars were pulling over to wait it out. I kept going, dutifully imersed in prayer, as I was too exposed with noplace to seek shelter. Man was the rain intense, it blew so hard that it stung. I puzzeled over this and looked down at my shirt. I was covered in hail about the size of my fingernail. No wonder the rain hurt.

    Anyway, made it home okay. Now to dry out my seat.

    :D

    Tags:

  2. suviving this event will only tempt you to start chasing Tornados....which is what your storm could
    have easily turned into if it was hot enough at the time.
    P.S. have ridden in a Hail Storm on a DF racer...the hail did hurt almost as much as having my
    wheels go out from beneath me and my smaking the ice covered pavement.
    ----------------------
    "g19glock1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I got up yesterday with a couple of projects to do prior to going on my daily ride. I needed to
    > check the rear brakes on the car so I pulled the hub, they were fine. Needed to do maintenance on
    > the mower, got that done too. Then the fun part, clean the V-rex. Made her spotless and clean, got
    > her drive train well lubed and ready for action...(hmmm that sounds like porn).;)
    >
    > Anyway, my goal was to ride 50 with that in mind I headed into the wind. It was blowing steady at
    > about 17mph and it was no easy feat to ride into it for as long as I knew that I would have to. I
    > rode at about 11mph in a low gear that I could spin fairly easy so as not to have to work too hard
    > at it. I got about 13 miles from home and stopped in Centreville MI at a Shell Mart for a couple
    > of Gatorades and while drinking one of them I looked over my shoulder and the sky was turning
    > quite dark. As I had been riding into the wind I knew that this darkness was headed my way.
    >
    > The storm looked to be about 10 miles from me so I thought that I would just head home and see if
    > I could beat it. With the wind at my back I took off, after answering a couple of question from a
    > man and his son, (had to be polite, and I love talking about my bike). With the wind as a push I
    > rode easily at 17 mph and just ate the miles up. About 2/3rds of the way home I noticed rain drops
    > beginnng to fall and the wind picking up. I looked over my shoulder at the sky and the blackness
    > was on my 6. Lightning began to light the sky and the cracking of the thunder was deafening.
    > Streaks of white light smacked the ground not too distant from me and I began to pray.
    >
    > Halfway up Marvin road a the heavens opened up with a downpour to rival anything that I had ever
    > seen. With the lightning and thunder cracking all around me I sped onward. I got to the main
    > highway, M-66, (about 6 miles from home), and the wind, rain, and thunder busters were so intense
    > and heavy that the cars were pulling over to wait it out. I kept going, dutifully imersed in
    > prayer, as I was too exposed with noplace to seek shelter. Man was the rain intense, it blew so
    > hard that it stung. I puzzeled over this and looked down at my shirt. I was covered in hail about
    > the size of my fingernail. No wonder the rain hurt.
    >
    > Anyway, made it home okay. Now to dry out my seat.
    >
    > :D
    >

    > --
    > G19, Giant and a V-Rex

  3. John Foltz

    John Foltz Guest

    g19glock1 <[email protected]> wrote :

    > Halfway up Marvin road a the heavens opened up with a downpour to rival anything that I had ever
    > seen. With the lightning and thunder cracking all around me I sped onward. I got to the main
    > highway, M-66, (about 6 miles from home), and the wind, rain, and thunder busters were so intense
    > and heavy that the cars were pulling over to wait it out. I kept going, dutifully imersed in
    > prayer, as I was too exposed with noplace to seek shelter. Man was the rain intense, it blew so
    > hard that it stung. I puzzeled over this and looked down at my shirt. I was covered in hail about
    > the size of my fingernail. No wonder the rain hurt.

    I've been caught in the same type stuff before, and it's no fun. In fact, it can be downright scary
    to have lightning striking on both sides of you as you slog along with your head down, trying to
    avoid the attention of the gods. Next time, try to find a barn, garage, etc, to seek shelter
    against. Even if you aren't completely sheltered, it's better than being out in the open. And who
    knows, the owner may see you and have mercy on you by opening said barn or garage - I've certainly
    never heard of a cyclist being chased off by an angry owner, even when a group of us went right up
    on a porch to escape a downpour.

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    John Foltz wrote:

    > I've been caught in the same type stuff before, and it's no fun. In fact, it can be downright
    > scary to have lightning striking on both sides of you as you slog along with your head down,
    > trying to avoid the attention of the gods. Next time, try to find a barn, garage, etc, to seek
    > shelter against. Even if you aren't completely sheltered, it's better than being out in the
    > open....

    I suggest riding with uprights - they are always higher off the ground than you will be on a
    recumbent. ;)