Intense exercise and fainting sensations

Chaim

Jan 24, 2004
Lately, after sitting or “position horizontally” for a while, when I stand up, I feel dizzy.
This usually occurs after long exercise session (cycling or gym).
It’s as if my blood pressure is so low that blood does not get to the head fast enough.
If I rest a day or two, I don’t get these “fainting” sensations.

Any similar experiences?
What am I doing wrong (eating, drinking, vitamins)?

Chaim said:
Lately, after sitting or “position horizontally” for a while, when I stand up, I feel dizzy.
It’s as if my blood pressure is so low that blood does not get to the head fast enough.

Any similar experiences?

I'm not a doctor, but I've had similar experiences, and seen it with kids I used to train. They called it "head rush".

My theory here is that blood is diverted to your exercising leg muscles, reducing the flow to the brain. When you stand up suddenly, the flow drops even further, causing you to feel dizzy or faint. It will go away when the circulatory system can make the changes needed to increase the flow to the brain.

The cure is simple; just take a minute to sit before you stand up. If that doesn't correct it, I'd suggest seeing your doctor.

Chaim said:

Any similar experiences?
I was 51 and out of shape at the time while doing some flies at the gym I was feeling pretty good and pushing myself a lot and when I stood up I thought I was having a heart attack. Doc said I prob built up the blood pressure and had a sudden drop resulting in low flow to brain.
I had to sit for quite some time before I felt well enough to walk comfortably.
Haven't experienced it since but I haven't tried being the hulk since either, though I get a good strain on the hillls once in awhile.

:)
Hello All,

I am the original poster of this thread and I am reporting improvement!

Reading the replies on this forum and other, I believe it is related, in my case, to dehydration and lack of sodium.

I increase water drinking and salt intake and the symptoms as reduced drastically.

Chaim said:
Hello All,

Reading the replies on this forum and other, I believe it is related, in my case, to dehydration and lack of sodium.

I increase water drinking and salt intake and the symptoms as reduced drastically.

Good news !

Chaim said:
Hello All,

Interesting, thanks for posting, I'll give it a try. I've taken a couple of extra rest days recently thinking it was the hard training catching up on me. Training performances have been great, so dehydration didn't seem like the case for me, but maybe that is it. Worth a try.

Chaim said:
Hello All,

I just saw my Dr. yesterday and described the same dizzy sensations. He said to drink more water right after the effort.