Intense ketogenic diet and cycling

ninesky

Jul 16, 2003
I'm wondering how a short, quick ketogenic diet would work if it utilized cycling instead of comforming to it. I'm thinking less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day with any food or the "all natural peanut butter" diet composed of two tablespoons of peant butter six times a day. While in ketosis a 40-60 mile bike ride each day. Hopefully someone can help me with this part. At what intensity could someone ride to utilize ketones completeley for energy?
After the ride would come water, electrolytes, glucose, and amino acids for recovery.
6 days on, one day of normal eating.. three weeks maximum. Sounds like at least a pound of fat per on day if done right. Please suggest ways for me to do this "right" or reasons why its impossible. Thanks.

ninesky said:
I'm wondering how a short, quick ketogenic diet would work if it utilized cycling instead of comforming to it. I'm thinking less than 20 grams of carbohydrates per day with any food or the "all natural peanut butter" diet composed of two tablespoons of peant butter six times a day. While in ketosis a 40-60 mile bike ride each day. Hopefully someone can help me with this part. At what intensity could someone ride to utilize ketones completeley for energy?
After the ride would come water, electrolytes, glucose, and amino acids for recovery.
6 days on, one day of normal eating.. three weeks maximum. Sounds like at least a pound of fat per on day if done right. Please suggest ways for me to do this "right" or reasons why its impossible. Thanks.
I think that would be a really unhealthy and uncomfortable thing to do. There are no shortcuts to loosing weight properly, it's much better to do it slowly, with discipline in matching food input with energy expenditure.

ninesky said:
I have to agree for the most part with Kaken. I just started a similar diet, but instead of doing intense riding, I plan on doing some light riding, but also some weight lifting to counteract the losses of muscle mass that occur when starving the body of carbohydrates.

In general, I think you can lose some fat this way, but indeed it would be very painful for you to do so as aggressively as you stated. Of course, you need to minimize the carbs [and less than 20g a day sounds appropriate], but see how you feel about all that riding. it would be tough.

-Bullseye

I eat a balanced diet but restrict calories. I am losing quite a bit of weight, I feel great, and my cycling can stay relatively strong, since I am not depriving myself of carbs.

Go the trusted route and it will pay off in the long run.

-Matt

I have been transformed by the ketogenic style diet. I would love to say its atkins but I keep out of ketosis by eating a significant amount of green vegetables and fat and meat and nuts. For years I was an active aerobic athlete and despite my level of activity which was powerlifting/static resistance training and running or biking I still carried a significant amount of bodyfat. If you accept the old paradigm which is that you lose weight by exercise and a calorie is a calorie and you have fluctuation in your weight over the seasons you may want to check this out. I am pushing fifty and and five eight and 205 pounds my bodyfat has stayed at less than 7 percent despite my activity level. If you are a cyclist to my logic using a low carb diet as your base diet could be highly effective to maintain lean muscle and keep your bodyfat low. The only caveat as a cyclist would be on the long mile days you simply load up on carbohydrates to compensate for the time in the saddle. On most other shorter rides and interval /resistance training you may find that you can stay low carb as it tends to satiate and make for a more stable (blood sugar wise) training experiance. I have never used any steroids or supplments but with low carb eating it has never been easier to lower my bodyfat and maintain lean mass. Also my lipid profile actually got significantly better. And I am sure anyone here who has been in a state where there bodyfat is in the single digits can attest that the lightness and advantage power and speed wise is significant. Besides you get to eat rich delicious food.
For reference purposes the crossfit bible of good calories, bad calories is a mindblowing instructional.

good luck
j