Intensity factor for a TT

ric_stern/RST said:
why do you require a 4 hr ride to do an hours TT?

Because that's how long and far I'd have to travel to find a suitable, 30 minute uninterrupted flat TT course in Tucson, AZ.

Thomas Davis

tomdavis80 said:
Because that's how long and far I'd have to travel to find a suitable, 30 minute uninterrupted flat TT course in Tucson, AZ.

Thomas Davis

okay, why do you have to find a flat, uninterrupted piece of road? i do mine on the roads i train with junctions, hills, traffic, sheep, etc. alternatively, i do mine on the trainer where there are no interruptions.

ric

tomdavis80 said:

Thomas Davis
Do you have some long climbs then? IMHO those would be perfect for FTP testing ...

tomdavis80 said:

Thomas Davis

what about mt lemmon? that is as good as it gets. and old spanish trail? misson road? or do you live far from all these? tucson has plenty of roads with little interruptions.

Yea Tucson does have lots of good roads to train, Lemmon is excellent. Or the road you use for the 20 min, repeat it. You apparently dont feel its necessary,but you may not get shelled at CCR if you did longer l4- l6.

zaskar said:
Yea Tucson does have lots of good roads to train, Lemmon is excellent. Or the road you use for the 20 min, repeat it. You apparently dont feel its necessary,but you may not get shelled at CCR if you did longer l4- l6.

Sorry Tom. Reading this I sound like an asshole, I have no clue to your training etc. I race cat 4 this year, kill the 5s.

zaskar said:

Good point...I do need to do longer intervals up Mt. Lemmon when I can but as it stands, I live right near the UA and that means that Ajo Highway near the Airport is the closest locale for 20 minute uninterrupted TTs.

ric_stern/RST said:
okay, why do you have to find a flat, uninterrupted piece of road? i do mine on the roads i train with junctions, hills, traffic, sheep, etc. alternatively, i do mine on the trainer where there are no interruptions.

ric

Well, it's not really a TT effort if you have interruptions in the middle, is it? It's closer to VO2 Max intervals or something else and it wouldn't be a bonafide 20 or more minute TT. There's a TT series in my area that is done on a flat stretch of road and I understand your point but I like being able to simulate the actual effort with training that's reasonably close to it.

tomdavis80 said:
Well, it's not really a TT effort if you have interruptions in the middle, is it? It's closer to VO2 Max intervals or something else and it wouldn't be a bonafide 20 or more minute TT. There's a TT series in my area that is done on a flat stretch of road and I understand your point but I like being able to simulate the actual effort with training that's reasonably close to it.

seeing as i've only raced on closed roads a few times in my 24 years of racing, and on the other occassions have had to stop or slow for traffic, junctions, and 'obstacles' i'm not sure how those efforts weren't TTs. It would only be close to VO2max if you rode at that power and that would require substantial rest periods between efforts to cope with the significantly higher power demand. On the other hand, if you rode at a slightly higher power (due to the vague interruptions) then looking at your normalized power of the TT work + the vague interruptions would give you the same power as a continuous effort. Unless of course you can generate an NP buster.

ric

tomdavis80 said:
Good point...I do need to do longer intervals up Mt. Lemmon when I can but as it stands, I live right near the UA and that means that Ajo Highway near the Airport is the closest locale for 20 minute uninterrupted TTs.

Do you do the shootout? I wish I lived closer to it. I got to get up at 5 am to make it there in time. Its always worth it though when I can. Gord has been really pushing the pace http://www.gstracing.com/blogListing.php