Interal (hub) gears on hybrid

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by James Pearce, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. James Pearce

    James Pearce Guest

    Hi

    I am a regular commuter, and am seriously thinking about getting some
    hub-based gears to replace the derailleur (due to its habit of derailing
    the chain all too effectively if I need to change the front and back
    gears in the same minute).

    Can anyone help me in what is required to make the change?

    Thanks in advance

    James

    Tags:

  2. till!

    till! New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2004
    Internal hub gears are great, but it really sounds like you just need a service!

    You would need to replace your rear hub, spokes, relace your rear wheel and a buy a chain tensioner.

    I own a rohloff and they're mint, but then my more conventionally-geared bikes bikes dont chuck their chains when changing either so just fix the problem, dont make another one =)

    till

  3. Marty

    Marty Guest

    James Pearce wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am a regular commuter, and am seriously thinking about getting some
    > hub-based gears to replace the derailleur (due to its habit of derailing
    > the chain all too effectively if I need to change the front and back
    > gears in the same minute).
    >
    > Can anyone help me in what is required to make the change?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > James

    Depending on how good a setup you want you may require some big dollars.

  4. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Firstly have the gears serviced by LBS. Even a small drop can bend the der arm.

    Second cause of the problem could be your riding style. Perhaps you are asking the gears to do things that they were never designed to do.
    Need to change one , let it settle for a rev or 2, especially if on bumps, and then other. Back off the power as you change.
    You say that you need to change back and front at the same time. I assume that you are climbing and going 1 higher on the rear and then 1 lower on the front which is a fairly standard sort of manouver and should not cause problems.

    An internal hub is a Very expensive way out of what could be a simple adjustment to the bike or your style.

    Cheers
    Hugh

  5. James Pearce

    James Pearce Guest

    till! wrote:
    > James Pearce Wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I am a regular commuter, and am seriously thinking about getting some
    >>hub-based gears to replace the derailleur (due to its habit of
    >>derailing
    >>the chain all too effectively if I need to change the front and back
    >>gears in the same minute). Internal hub gears are great, but it really sounds like you just need a

    > service!
    >
    > You would need to replace your rear hub, spokes, relace your rear
    > wheel and a buy a chain tensioner.
    >
    > I own a rohloff and they're mint, but then my more
    > conventionally-geared bikes bikes dont chuck their chains when changing
    > either so just fix the problem, dont make another one =)
    >
    > till

    Thanks. It doesn't chuck the chain very often, but it did yesterday, so
    I was annoyed ;).

    James

  6. James Pearce

    James Pearce Guest

    HughMann wrote:
    > James Pearce Wrote:
    >
    >>Hi
    >>
    >>I am a regular commuter, and am seriously thinking about getting some
    >>hub-based gears to replace the derailleur (due to its habit of
    >>derailing
    >>the chain all too effectively if I need to change the front and back
    >>gears in the same minute).
    >>
    >>Can anyone help me in what is required to make the change?
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>
    >>James

    > Firstly have the gears serviced by LBS. Even a small drop can bend the
    > der arm.

    Yeah, it's going in next week.

    > Second cause of the problem could be your riding style. Perhaps you
    > are asking the gears to do things that they were never designed to do.
    > Need to change one , let it settle for a rev or 2, especially if on
    > bumps, and then other. Back off the power as you change.
    > You say that you need to change back and front at the same time. I
    > assume that you are climbing and going 1 higher on the rear and then 1
    > lower on the front which is a fairly standard sort of manouver and
    > should not cause problems.

    I think the problem is a bent pin on the back thingy (the arm with the
    jocky wheels).

    > An internal hub is a Very expensive way out of what could be a simple
    > adjustment to the bike or your style.

    Well, I'm really just looking for an excuse ;) Thanks for your help.

    > Cheers
    > Hugh

    James

  7. L'acrobat

    L'acrobat Guest

    "HughMann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > An internal hub is a Very expensive way out of what could be a simple
    > adjustment to the bike or your style.

    Having ridden a Rohloff eqipped bike, if he gets one he will have to adjust
    his riding style anyway.