Interchainging Uniglide cogs with track cogs

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Jan 27, 2008.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    I notice the diameters are proximate on Uniglide threaded cogs and track cogs.

    Are the diameters exact and treads the same such that they could be interchangeable?

    I have a single Uniglide wheel.

    Tags:

  2. meb wrote:
    > I notice the diameters are proximate on Uniglide threaded cogs and track
    > cogs.
    >
    > Are the diameters exact and treads the same such that they could be
    > interchangeable?

    Not close enough. Your unigrind sprocket will come off with
    a sasitfying ping if you are lucky and a darling curl of alumin-
    iminuium if you are pretty.

    NB: Yes, I have tried this*.

    *Being pretty. Whoops, I mean a 14 Zhaenen UG sprocket
    on a track hub.

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    meb wrote:
    > I notice the diameters are proximate on Uniglide threaded cogs and track
    > cogs.
    > Are the diameters exact and treads the same such that they could be
    > interchangeable?
    > I have a single Uniglide wheel.

    Shimano says UG cassette end threads are 34.6mm. Track cogs are 1.370",
    normally expressed as 34.8mm, so you're on your own there.*

    I wouldn't screw a UG cog on an aluminum track hub but running a single
    UG cog on a UG cassette body ( steel on steel) as a single freewheel
    makes some sense if you have them. You might see how a track cog feels
    screwed on that steel body. Never tried it myself.

    *Two tenths doesn't seem significant until you consider there are only 3
    or 4 threads in a cog and you're standing on the pedals...
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    A Muzi wrote:

    > makes some sense if you have them. You might see how a track cog feels
    > screwed on that steel body. Never tried it myself.

    It feels looooose, with visions of dentists ;)
    --
    /Marten

    info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl