Interchainging Uniglide cogs with track cogs

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
I notice the diameters are proximate on Uniglide threaded cogs and track cogs.

Are the diameters exact and treads the same such that they could be interchangeable?

I have a single Uniglide wheel.

meb wrote:
> I notice the diameters are proximate on Uniglide threaded cogs and track
> cogs.
>
> Are the diameters exact and treads the same such that they could be
> interchangeable?

Not close enough. Your unigrind sprocket will come off with
a sasitfying ping if you are lucky and a darling curl of alumin-
iminuium if you are pretty.

NB: Yes, I have tried this*.

*Being pretty. Whoops, I mean a 14 Zhaenen UG sprocket
on a track hub.

meb wrote:
> I notice the diameters are proximate on Uniglide threaded cogs and track
> cogs.
> Are the diameters exact and treads the same such that they could be
> interchangeable?
> I have a single Uniglide wheel.

Shimano says UG cassette end threads are 34.6mm. Track cogs are 1.370",
normally expressed as 34.8mm, so you're on your own there.*

I wouldn't screw a UG cog on an aluminum track hub but running a single
UG cog on a UG cassette body ( steel on steel) as a single freewheel
makes some sense if you have them. You might see how a track cog feels
screwed on that steel body. Never tried it myself.

*Two tenths doesn't seem significant until you consider there are only 3
or 4 threads in a cog and you're standing on the pedals...
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:

> makes some sense if you have them. You might see how a track cog feels
> screwed on that steel body. Never tried it myself.

It feels looooose, with visions of dentists ;)
--
/Marten

info(apestaartje)m-gineering(punt)nl