Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Interchangeability of 3 speed hubs

Started by meb · · Last activity · 3 posts · 501 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
15 May 2004
Last activity
15 May 2004
Original author
meb
Posts
3
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
501
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–3 of 3
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a 20” rear SRAM 3X7 dual drive that is the sole 20” rear wheeled
    bike in my stable. I have no others to swap out, so in accord with
    Murphy’s Law, it is the tire I get blowouts on regularly. I suffer pinch
    flat blown rears from holes, missing grates (particularly since the
    parking garage at work has sliding grates over drains that have gaps a
    different places daily), etc..

    I am figuring on having a mounted spare 20” rear drive-either freewheel
    or internal gear hub, possibly a wider tire as a contrast to the skinny
    100 psi I run available should I travel on gravel roads.

    Have a cheap used Sturmey-Archer 3 speed rear available for purchase.
    Will the shifting indexing on Sturmey-Archer or Nexus 3 speed hubs work
    with a bike with shifters set up for 3 speed SRAM?

    --

  2. meb said:

    I have a 20=94 rear SRAM 3X7 dual drive that is the sole 20=94 rear whe=


    eled

    Quoted message said:

    bike in my stable. I have no others to swap out, so in accord with
    Murphy=92s Law, it is the tire I get blowouts on regularly. I suffer pi=


    nch

    Quoted message said:

    flat blown rears from holes, missing grates (particularly since the
    parking garage at work has sliding grates over drains that have gaps a
    different places daily), etc..
    =20
    I am figuring on having a mounted spare 20=94 rear drive-either freewhe=


    el

    Quoted message said:

    or internal gear hub, possibly a wider tire as a contrast to the skinny=

    Quoted message said:

    100 psi I run available should I travel on gravel roads.
    =20
    Have a cheap used Sturmey-Archer 3 speed rear available for purchase.
    Will the shifting indexing on Sturmey-Archer or Nexus 3 speed hubs work=

    Quoted message said:

    with a bike with shifters set up for 3 speed SRAM?

    No.

    Sheldon "Terse" Brown
    +------------------------------------------+
    | Some are born with a silver spoon, |
    | And some are born without a clue; |
    | Some are born to take the biscuit, |
    | Some are born to just make do. |
    | |
    | When those fatcats drop the big one, |
    | They will turn a penny, too: |
    | They will rent out nuclear shelters, |
    | We'll get one with an outside loo! |
    | -- Oysterband |
    | (The greatest band since the Beatles) |
    +------------------------------------------+
    Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

  3. meb said:

    I have a 20” rear SRAM 3X7 dual drive that is the sole 20” rear wheeled
    bike in my stable. I have no others to swap out, so in accord with
    Murphy’s Law, it is the tire I get blowouts on regularly. I suffer pinch
    flat blown rears from holes, missing grates (particularly since the
    parking garage at work has sliding grates over drains that have gaps a
    different places daily), etc..

    I am figuring on having a mounted spare 20” rear drive-either freewheel
    or internal gear hub, possibly a wider tire as a contrast to the skinny
    100 psi I run available should I travel on gravel roads.

    Have a cheap used Sturmey-Archer 3 speed rear available for purchase.
    Will the shifting indexing on Sturmey-Archer or Nexus 3 speed hubs work
    with a bike with shifters set up for 3 speed SRAM?

    SA shifters are quite different.

    Incidentally, I know of at least three different types: the original
    thumbshifters as found on a million shopping bikes, the iconic T-shift
    on the original Raleigh Chopper and the far less iconic gripshift on the
    new ersatz Chopper. Damn you, modern safety regulations!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.