Interchanging Uniglide cogs with Track Cogs?

meb

Aug 21, 2003
I notice the diameters are proximate on Uniglide threaded cogs and track cogs.

Are the diameters exact and treads the same such that they could be interchangeable?

I have a single Uniglide wheel.

You may find the freewheel, uniglide, and bb lockring threads all the same as the RH track thread.

On a Uniglide cassette whose LAST cog is threaded, the threading is the same as the threading on a(n English) freewheel hub ... but, are you sure you want to use such a small cog on the rear of a Single Speed?!?

alfeng said:
On a Uniglide cassette whose LAST cog is threaded, the threading is the same as the threading on a(n English) freewheel hub ... but, are you sure you want to use such a small cog on the rear of a Single Speed?!?

The converse was my intent. Using a track cog on a uniglide hub to replace the rare threaded Uniglide cog. Although if one already had the uniglide threaded cog, it would follow that one could also fixie via Uniglide cog. The splined cogs are less of an issue as one merely needs grind down the large spline of Hyperglide cog to fit it onto a Uniglide hub.

As for size, I have folders and recumbents with 20 and 16 inch wheels, so could make an interesting fixie folder if one were so inclined.

meb said:
The converse was my intent. Using a track cog on a uniglide hub to replace the rare threaded Uniglide cog. Although if one already had the uniglide threaded cog, it would follow that one could also fixie via Uniglide cog. The splined cogs are less of an issue as one merely needs grind down the large spline of Hyperglide cog to fit it onto a Uniglide hub.
Considering your track cog is probably going to be LARGER (?!?) than the second smallest cog in your stack, a cheaper alternative would be to use the locking ring for the non-driveside cup of an (older) English threaded bottom bracket -- it's the same 1.37x24 threading.