Intercompatibility of Shimano disk brake components

James Thomson

Guest
Could someone summarize the compatibility issues between different Shimano
disk brake calipers, levers, pads, connectors, fluid, and hoses, or point me
to an up-to-date article on the subject?

Thanks,

James Thomson

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 02:10:03 +0100, "James Thomson"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Could someone summarize the compatibility issues between different Shimano
>disk brake calipers, levers, pads, connectors, fluid, and hoses, or point me
>to an up-to-date article on the subject?
>
>Thanks,
>
>James Thomson

Dear James,

Here's a page listing some parts-compatibility PDF charts:

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish...hnical_service/faq_s/compatibilty_charts.html

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish...wnloadFile.tmp/disc brake combination.pdf.pdf

No idea if it's recent enough or covers the details that you want.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

<[email protected]> a écrit:

> Here's a page listing some parts-compatibility PDF charts:

> http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish...hnical_service/faq_s/compatibilty_charts.html

> No idea if it's recent enough or covers the details that you want.

Thanks. I'd seen the page, but somehow missed the big blue footnote:

*All hydraulic brake levers are interchangeable as long
as you specify proper brake hose.

The context is that I'm trying to piece together a working disk brake from
closeouts and eBay bargains, which could quickly become an uneconomic
project if I find that the parts I end up with are non-compatible. The
footnote eases my worries, at least as regards current parts.

More specific questions for those who might have experience:

Are front and rear IS-mount calipers generally interchangeable if disk
diameters are adapted to suit? Can a given caliper or lever accept either a
straight or "banjo" fitting?

James Thomson