interested in a tour/longer distance riding

goblinmarket

Sep 29, 2005
Hello everyone. I live in Chicago and mainly ride my cheap Schwinn mtb for my daily commute and exercise, but I've become interested in doing a longer ride/tour/something of the sort.

The longest I've ever gone is Chicago's Bike the Drive (which is only a total of 30miles). The mtb has been fine with this, but I'm looking to go even further -- not interested in racing or anything competitive as I have never been on a road bike -- ever. I would like to buy a new bike for doing longer distance riding. I'm finally graduating from college in Dec. and this would be my gift to myself :) but I'm looking to pay $600 or less.

Although my Schwinn has served me well, I always read posts in the forums ripping on mtb's for long distances because they are heavy, fat tires, etc. There is a commuter bike shop in my neighborhood that sells Breezer, Jamis, and Marin -- which I am most interested in. I was looking at a Marin commuter bike like the Novato or Belvedere for starters. I mean, the longer rides would be much less frequent than my daily pothole-dodging commute, so I'd like to buy a nice, strong bike, that can handle occasional 100 mile rides.

My goal is the Ride for AIDS next year which is 190 miles over 2 days.

Is this a bad idea? -- to use a commuter/hybrid for a long 2-3 day ride/tour? It just seems, as I research these charity events on the internet, everyone seems to be on a road bike. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I did one of the SF to LA AIDS rides (560 mi/7 days) on a Stumpjumper with front suspension. I mounted Avocet cross tires (there are probably better options now) and aerobars for a change of position, and it was fine. Understand, I bought a Kestrel roadbike to do the ride and being a mtb'er, just couldn't adjust to the riding position, so switched back to the mtb at the last minute. Ride what you want.

- first off, be sure todo a search on "which touring bike..", "best touring bike." etc. there are many threads on the pro's and con's of all the most popular bike choices.
- secondly, here's another bike forum, much more populated than this one:
http://www.bikeforums.net/ check out the touring section about 1/2 way down the page.

- my advice: if you're planning on spending all day in the saddle for at least a couple of days, i'd avoid bikes similar to the marin models you listed above; the aluminum frames will give you a very jarring ride, smaller tires wil get you nowhere fast, heavy, flat handle bars, etc. etc. plus, there are longevity issues with aluminum frames. do a search on "steel vs. aluminum"

save up a little more and go for an inexpensive steel touring bike, for example the jamis aurora. you'll be a much happier rider, and for the same amount of time in the saddle, you'll go about 20% further, though your milage may vary. ;)

thanks for all the info. i'll definitely look into steel frames as well as the other bike forums.

philso said:
- first off, be sure todo a search on "which touring bike..", "best touring bike." etc. there are many threads on the pro's and con's of all the most popular bike choices.
- secondly, here's another bike forum, much more populated than this one:
http://www.bikeforums.net/ check out the touring section about 1/2 way down the page.

- my advice: if you're planning on spending all day in the saddle for at least a couple of days, i'd avoid bikes similar to the marin models you listed above; the aluminum frames will give you a very jarring ride, smaller tires wil get you nowhere fast, heavy, flat handle bars, etc. etc. plus, there are longevity issues with aluminum frames. do a search on "steel vs. aluminum"

save up a little more and go for an inexpensive steel touring bike, for example the jamis aurora. you'll be a much happier rider, and for the same amount of time in the saddle, you'll go about 20% further, though your milage may vary. ;)

goblinmarket said:
Hello everyone. I live in Chicago and mainly ride my cheap Schwinn mtb for my daily commute and exercise, but I've become interested in doing a longer ride/tour/something of the sort.

The longest I've ever gone is Chicago's Bike the Drive (which is only a total of 30miles). The mtb has been fine with this, but I'm looking to go even further -- not interested in racing or anything competitive as I have never been on a road bike -- ever. I would like to buy a new bike for doing longer distance riding. I'm finally graduating from college in Dec. and this would be my gift to myself :) but I'm looking to pay $600 or less.

Although my Schwinn has served me well, I always read posts in the forums ripping on mtb's for long distances because they are heavy, fat tires, etc. There is a commuter bike shop in my neighborhood that sells Breezer, Jamis, and Marin -- which I am most interested in. I was looking at a Marin commuter bike like the Novato or Belvedere for starters. I mean, the longer rides would be much less frequent than my daily pothole-dodging commute, so I'd like to buy a nice, strong bike, that can handle occasional 100 mile rides.

My goal is the Ride for AIDS next year which is 190 miles over 2 days.

Is this a bad idea? -- to use a commuter/hybrid for a long 2-3 day ride/tour? It just seems, as I research these charity events on the internet, everyone seems to be on a road bike. Any advice would be great. Thanks.
Just about any bike new can do several hundred-mile rides. The one you already have is good enough. People cross continents on mountain bikes loaded with panniers. When it comes to long distance touring, transcontinental with a full load for example, the idea is this; use the most power efficient bike. The most efficient for that kind of riding is the well founded touring bike. A hybrid is your next best way to go. But you can do it also on a road bike, a racing bike, a mountan bike, and a road bike. It is just that a touring bike is constructed specifically for long hauls carrying weight. The mountain bike is more versatile in that you can fill tires to 80 psi for roads and lower pressure to hit the dirt trails. For long road tours get the machine that was made for that kind of riding.