Interesting Article on Lance Armstrong TdF Bike

Tim Hall wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:22:24 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Lance says "It's not about the bike", though
>
> But WTF are "Synthetic kangaroo-leather uppers"?

The things Corporal Jones thought the Germans wouldn't like up 'em?

Or Nike trying to distact attention from where the sweatshop they have their shoes hand made is?

You're right - how could anyone tell that it was synthetic kangaroo, as opposed to any of the other
synthetic leathers around.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> You're right - how could anyone tell that it was synthetic kangaroo, as opposed to any of the
> other synthetic leathers around.

They jump up and down all by themselves so you don't have to pedal. Yet another performace enhancing
substance used by cyclists!

Have (bouncy) fun!

Graeme

In article <[email protected]>, Tim Hall wrote:
>On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:22:24 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>James wrote:
>>> http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,462473,00.html
>>
>>Amusing - especially referring to one of the people I rate as knowing their stuff about bikes as
>>(sic) "bon-trager" - presumably pronounced like the French might?
>>
>>Lance says "It's not about the bike", though
>
>But WTF are "Synthetic kangaroo-leather uppers"?

Leather made from synthetic kangaroos. Like mock turtle soup is made from mock turtles.

Looking at http://www.trekbikes.com/tour_de_france/bikes/oclv/building_bikes.jsp when the popsci
article says "The rig sports an aerodynamic fin that extends toward the rear wheel" are they
confusing the TdF bike with the time trial bike? Though neither of them is the $2500 popsci has as
the price "next fall".

"Alan Braggins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> >But WTF are "Synthetic kangaroo-leather uppers"?

> Leather made from synthetic kangaroos. Like mock turtle soup is made from mock turtles.

The point being, of course, that kangaroo leather, is particularly suitable for bike shoes. You just
have to be careful that the bounce doesn't cause your foot to come unclipped (the Kelme team have
had some trouble with this).

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

> The point being, of course, that kangaroo leather, is particularly
suitable
> for bike shoes. You just have to be careful that the bounce doesn't cause your foot to come
> unclipped (the Kelme team have had some trouble with this).

Shirley, only on 'bents where you kick both feet at the same time.

That was the Kelme guy's problem -- tried to push both feet down at the same time -- wrong -- on a
Proper_Bike [TM] you 'spin'.

Spider leather (synthetic being more easily available than the real stuff) is what you need.

Tony W wrote:

> Shirley, only on 'bents where you kick both feet at the same time.
>
> That was the Kelme guy's problem -- tried to push both feet down at the same time -- wrong -- on a
> Proper_Bike [TM] you 'spin'.

Unless it's a Thys, of course... (see http://www.rowingbike.com/)

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Peter Clinch" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Tony W wrote:
>
> > Shirley, only on 'bents where you kick both feet at the same time.
> >
> > That was the Kelme guy's problem -- tried to push both feet down at the
same
> > time -- wrong -- on a Proper_Bike [TM] you 'spin'.
>
> Unless it's a Thys, of course... (see http://www.rowingbike.com/)

You would need to mate an oranga-atan with a kangaroo to sort that one.
(i.e. that Redgrave fellow).

Nah -- that looks much to much like hard work.

I'll stick with the wedgie.

Tony W wrote:

> You would need to mate an oranga-atan with a kangaroo to sort that one.
> (i.e. that Redgrave fellow).
>
> Nah -- that looks much to much like hard work.

Is that mating the orang-utan and kangaroo, using a rowbike, or both? ;-)

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Alan Braggins <[email protected]> wrote:

: Looking at http://www.trekbikes.com/tour_de_france/bikes/oclv/building_bikes.jsp when the popsci
: article says "The rig sports an aerodynamic fin that extends toward the rear wheel" are they
: confusing the TdF bike with the time trial bike? Though neither of them is the $2500 popsci has as
: the price "next fall".

Armstrong is riding the new OCLV bike that isn't out yet in the TDF.

THere's some picutres somewhere on www.cyclingnews.com (try the pictures from Leige-Baston-Leige or
the tech section)

Arthur

Lord Lester