Interesting article on sodium and exercise (with a bit about cramps)

D'ohBoy wrote:
> At some point the author questions the relationship between sodium and
> cramping. So why does a shot of vinegar or pickle juice almost
> immediately alleviate any cramp I have? Placebo effect?

what does a shot of vinegar have in it that could cure cramps ?

sodium (no)
water (not much)
acetic acid ?

[email protected] wrote:
> D'ohBoy wrote:
> > At some point the author questions the relationship between sodium and
> > cramping. So why does a shot of vinegar or pickle juice almost
> > immediately alleviate any cramp I have? Placebo effect?

> what does a shot of vinegar have in it that could cure cramps ?
>
> sodium (no)
> water (not much)
> acetic acid ?

Don't know (my mistake associating the vinegar with the sodium to cramp
relief question). But the pickle juice, on the other hand, has
boatloads of salt. And both work quite well for me.

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:
> At some point the author questions the relationship between sodium and
> cramping. So why does a shot of vinegar or pickle juice almost
> immediately alleviate any cramp I have? Placebo effect?

Most likely. For myself I've determined that the only cause for cramps
is overexertion for my current fitness level. I can be dehydrated, well
-hydrated, overhydrated, whatever, and I won't cramp until I hit a
certain wall relative to my fitness. And no matter how much sodium and
water I consume at that point they will not relieve the cramps. The
only thing that helps is slowing down and trying to stretch the cramps
out. When both my quads and hamstrings are cramping then I'm screwed.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

G.T. wrote:
> D'ohBoy wrote:
> > At some point the author questions the relationship between sodium and
> > cramping. So why does a shot of vinegar or pickle juice almost
> > immediately alleviate any cramp I have? Placebo effect?

> Most likely. For myself I've determined that the only cause for cramps
> is overexertion for my current fitness level. I can be dehydrated, well
> -hydrated, overhydrated, whatever, and I won't cramp until I hit a
> certain wall relative to my fitness. And no matter how much sodium and
> water I consume at that point they will not relieve the cramps. The
> only thing that helps is slowing down and trying to stretch the cramps
> out. When both my quads and hamstrings are cramping then I'm screwed.
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "All my time I spent in heaven
> Revelries of dance and wine
> Waking to the sound of laughter
> Up I'd rise and kiss the sky" - The Mekons

One might note that vinegar (whether topically applied or ingested) has
long been a folk remedy for cramps, despite its lack of sodium or
relationship to the original article.

D'ohBoy

D'ohBoy wrote:

> One might note that vinegar (whether topically applied or ingested) has
> long been a folk remedy for cramps, despite its lack of sodium or
> relationship to the original article.

It seems like the stomach would nullify any chemical properties of the
vinegar, such as lowering blood acidity.

On 8 Aug 2006 07:08:01 -0700, "D'ohBoy" <[email protected]> wrote:

>At some point the author questions the relationship between sodium and
>cramping. So why does a shot of vinegar or pickle juice almost
>immediately alleviate any cramp I have? Placebo effect?
>
>http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness.php?id=fitness/2006/sodium_intake
>
>Interesting nonetheless.

With me cramps are fixed with potassium. Others have different problems and I
think that's what makes finding a cure difficult. The biggest part of the
problem is that there's no good science on cramps and there seems to be a number
of causes that are poorly defined.

Ron

From the article
>Athletes have higher fluid and sodium requirements than sedentary
>individuals. For the general population, the recommendation is to limit
>sodium >intake to 2.3 grams per day, which is equivalent to 5.8 grams of
>salt. The rationale for this guideline, is that excessive sodium intake
>causes high >blood pressure in individuals who are 'salt sensitive'.
>Because most people only require 1.5 grams of sodium per day, it makes
>sense from a public >health perspective to recommend reduced intakes.
>Athletes, however, need significantly more sodium than their inactive
>counterparts; the exact >amount varies greatly between individuals,
>depending on sweat volume and sweat sodium concentration.

From my own personal experience, I think the human body must be quite
adaptive to sodium intake. By choice, my sodium intake is pretty low,
probably a little more than 1000 mg per day (blood pressure considerations).
I've adhered to this kind of diet for over 20 years. I often do hard rides
of up to 2 hours. I do some type of aerobic workout almost every day, and I
sweat a lot when I work out. It's been years since I've experienced cramps.
I'm guessing that over the years, my body adapted to the amount of sodium
available to it and that my sweat sodium concentration must be low. Also, I
generally rehydrate with water or diluted juice, particularly diluted
cranberry juice cocktail.

If the vinegar or pickle juice works for you, then keep doing it. I bet it's
not a placebo effect. For whatever reason, it works for you.

news:[email protected]...