Interesting BRAT diet items?

Laura

Guest
BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast I need to stay on this for at least 24 more
hours..possibly through xmas eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this for
a bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add butter or anything like
that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast) for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making
a rice/banana gruel sort of concoction for breakfast...

--

Laura

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in news:y0LFb.9301$ms2.1031
@fe2.columbus.rr.com:

> BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast I need to stay on this for at least 24 more
> hours..possibly through xmas eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this
> for a bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add butter or anything
> like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast) for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might
> making a rice/banana gruel sort of concoction for breakfast...

Are you allowed to fry the banana (using a nonstick pan)?

--
Dan Goodman Journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com or http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/ Whatever
you wish for me, may you have twice as much.

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
| BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast I need to stay on this for at least 24 more
| hours..possibly through xmas eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this
| for a bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add butter or anything
| like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast) for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might
| making a rice/banana gruel sort of concoction for breakfast...

Bananas baked in the oven with a little brown sugar and lemon juice is excellent. Try looking for
recipes for congee, a rice porridge served for breakfast.

Laura wrote:

> BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast I need to stay on this for at least 24 more
> hours..possibly through xmas eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this
> for a bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add butter or anything
> like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast) for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might
> making a rice/banana gruel sort of concoction for breakfast...

This web site gives a more liberal view of the BRAT diet (they say you can have lean meat, fruit,
and vegetables), but they caution this view is not universally accepted:

http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/gastroenteritis.html

"The traditional BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast--is tolerated by the tender
gastrointestinal system, but it is not particularly nutritious. Many, but not all, medical
researchers recommend a diet that includes complex carbohydrates (e.g., rice, wheat, potatoes,
bread, and cereal), lean meats, yogurt, fruit, and vegetables. Milk and other dairy products
shouldn't create problems if they are part of the normal diet. Fatty foods or foods with a lot of
sugar should be avoided. These recommendations are based on clinical experience and controlled
trials, but are not universally accepted."

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote:

>BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast I need to stay on this for at least 24 more
>hours..possibly through xmas eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this
>for a bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add butter or anything
>like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast) for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might
>making a rice/banana gruel sort of concoction for breakfast...

What about beverages ? I live on 7-up for 24 hours when enteritis occurs.

Dennis

can fry them. can't use any kind of oil or spices though..I am thinking of adding some rice crispies
to bananas and kind of breading them..at this point I am excited by so little..I think rice crispies
would be a good sub for bread..maybe that heated in the oven will be lunch tomorrow..going to have
to think about that.

--

Laura

--

Laura

"Dan Goodman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in news:y0LFb.9301$ms2.1031 @fe2.columbus.rr.com:
>
> > BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast I need to stay on this for at least 24 more
> > hours..possibly through xmas eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on
> > this for
> > bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add butter or anything like
> > that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on
toast)
> > for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel sort of concoction for
> > breakfast...
> >
> Are you allowed to fry the banana (using a nonstick pan)?
>

> --
> Dan Goodman Journal http://dsgood.blogspot.com or http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/
> Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.

"Mark Thorson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Laura wrote:
>
> > BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast I need to stay on this for at least 24 more
> > hours..possibly through xmas eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on
> > this for
> > bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add butter or anything like
> > that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on
toast)
> > for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might making a rice/banana gruel sort of concoction for
> > breakfast...
>
> This web site gives a more liberal view of the BRAT diet (they say you can have lean meat, fruit,
> and vegetables), but they caution this view is not universally accepted:
>
> http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/gastroenteritis.html
>
> "The traditional BRAT diet--bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast--is tolerated by the tender
> gastrointestinal system, but it is not particularly nutritious. Many, but not all, medical
> researchers recommend a diet that includes complex carbohydrates (e.g., rice, wheat, potatoes,
> bread, and cereal), lean meats, yogurt, fruit, and vegetables. Milk and other dairy products
> shouldn't create problems if they are part of the normal diet. Fatty foods or foods with a lot of
> sugar should be avoided. These recommendations are based on clinical experience and controlled
> trials, but are not universally accepted."

Very interesting and applicable information.I may begin tomorrow using some of those suggestions as
far as diet. That is exactly what I have. Seeing another doctor but that is not for a
week..sigh..yes they know how bad off I am..

Laura

Laura wrote:

> can fry them. can't use any kind of oil or spices though..I am thinking of adding some rice
> crispies to bananas and kind of breading them.. at this point I am excited by so little..I think
> rice crispies would be a good sub for bread..maybe that heated in the oven will be lunch
> tomorrow..going to have to think about that.

Rice Krispies aren't pure rice, are they? That would shoot the whole purpose of the diet.

You're supposed to suffer on this diet -- that's why the Sisters invented it. You're not supposed to
stop until you no longer have sinful thoughts.

(Oh, wouldn't a piece of chocolate be just the right thing right now?)

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Laura wrote:
>

>>can fry them. can't use any kind of oil or spices though..I am thinking of adding some rice
>>crispies to bananas and kind of breading them.. at this point I am excited by so little..I think
>>rice crispies would be a good sub for bread..maybe that heated in the oven will be lunch
>>tomorrow..going to have to think about that.

> Rice Krispies aren't pure rice, are they? That would shoot the whole purpose of the diet.
>
> You're supposed to suffer on this diet -- that's why the Sisters invented it. You're not supposed
> to stop until you no longer have sinful thoughts.
>
> (Oh, wouldn't a piece of chocolate be just the right thing right now?)

Soon you can eat chocolate. In the meantime, how about some nice Cream of Rice cereal with bananas?

I was thinking if looking at the baby food cereals.. bread by the way does have some sugar in it..sm
amount but some.

--

Laura

"chillled" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kOMFb.228948$Ec1.8123241@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> Mark Thorson wrote:
> > Laura wrote:
> >

> >>can fry them. can't use any kind of oil or spices though..I am thinking of adding some rice
> >>crispies to bananas and kind of breading them.. at this point I am excited by so little..I think
> >>rice crispies would be a good sub for bread..maybe that heated in the oven will be lunch
> >>tomorrow..going to have to think about that.
>

> > Rice Krispies aren't pure rice, are they? That would shoot the whole purpose of the diet.
> >
> > You're supposed to suffer on this diet -- that's why the Sisters invented it. You're not
> > supposed to stop until you no longer have sinful thoughts.
> >
> > (Oh, wouldn't a piece of chocolate be just the right thing right now?)
>
> Soon you can eat chocolate. In the meantime, how about some nice Cream of Rice cereal with
> bananas?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:22:06 GMT, "Laura"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>BRAT diet: Bananas. rice. applesauce toast I need to stay on this for at least 24 more
>hours..possibly through xmas eve. Having some intestinal/stomach issues, ER said to stay on this
>for a bit. Anyone know anything I can do with these ingredients? Can not add butter or anything
>like that. I was thinking a banana sandwich (on toast) for dinner tonight.. Any other ideas? Might
>making a rice/banana gruel sort of concoction for breakfast...

Just take 3 Immodium AD's and eat something non-fatty/greasy.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>, "Laura"
<[email protected]> writes:

>Any other ideas?

Rice includes rice cereals, noodles, potatoes (may be lightly salted or seasoned with broth) Apples
can be applesauce Toast can be bread or crackers without butter; clear jelly is acceptable because
of the pectin

Connie
My mind is like a steel...um, whatchamacallit.