Interesting cycling website

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Buck, Aug 18, 2004.

  1. Buck

    Buck Guest

    Hi everyone.

    I was at a conference in San Diego last week and spotted a company
    promoting an interesting cycling tool. While it is in its development
    stages now, it is complete for the San Diego area.

    It is a route finding / mapping tool, but two features make it neat.
    First, when you select a start and destination, it asks your skill
    level and whether you want to avoid major roads. It routes you to your
    destination using appropriate streets.

    Second, once your route is mapped, it provides an elevation graph for
    your ride. The cheesy factor is in full force with estimated calories
    burned, estimated amount of CO2 not put in the atmoshpere by an auto
    taking this route, and the estimated dollar savings for you by riding
    instead of driving.

    The biggest hole in the program (and what I pointed out to the vendor)
    is the lack of a multi-point ride planner.

    They want to build this tool for other metro areas.

    Here's the link:
    http://www.bikemetro.com/route/routehome.asp

    Enjoy!

    -Buck

    Tags:

  2. "Buck" <[email protected]> wrote
    > I was at a conference in San Diego last week and spotted a company
    > promoting an interesting cycling tool. While it is in its development
    > stages now, it is complete for the San Diego area.
    > . . .
    > Here's the link:
    > http://www.bikemetro.com/route/routehome.asp

    That is interesting, you're right. Could you suggest two addresses in the
    area (I don't know San Diego from Guam) to plug in so we can see it at work?
    Thanks!

    -Brendon

  3. Buck

    Buck Guest

    "Brendon M. Troy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Buck" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > I was at a conference in San Diego last week and spotted a company
    > > promoting an interesting cycling tool. While it is in its development
    > > stages now, it is complete for the San Diego area.
    > > . . .
    > > Here's the link:
    > > http://www.bikemetro.com/route/routehome.asp

    > That is interesting, you're right. Could you suggest two addresses in the
    > area (I don't know San Diego from Guam) to plug in so we can see it at work?
    > Thanks!
    >
    > -Brendon

    Brendon,

    At the link provided above, there are three ways to select an origin
    and destination - by address, by selecting points on the map, or by
    selecting places of interest (libraries, airports, bike shops,
    museums, etc.). Look below the address input boxes to see the other
    two options.

    Have Fun!

    -Buck