Interesting doping plan with testosterone and cortisone

Mirco

Jul 27, 2006
Ullrich's alleged doping plan

The Suddeutsche Zeitung has published what it claims was Jan Ullrich's doping plan for the first week of the Tour de France 2005, based on information from Operacion Puerto. For the first seven days of the Tour, Dr. Fuentes prepared him a series of hormones, insulin, cortisone, testosterone and blood transfusions, the newspaper alleged. It claimed that there was a "Roadbook" for the Tour 2005, which investigators link to Ullrich.

On the first day, according to the SZ, the hormone HZ was listed, the second day insulin I-3, the hormone TGN and cortisone, the third day TGN and PCH (a testosterone shot), on the fourth day HMG, a hormone mixture, a "rest day" on the fifth day, the sixth day insulin I-3, and on the last day, the re-infusion of his own blood, as well as insulin I-3 and vitamin E.

The newspaper also notes that it is not clear who might have helped Ullrich with possible transfusions, and notes that experts say that Pevenage or Ullrich himself might have managed it. There is no indication that the medical or support personnel of the team were involved, according to the SZ.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul14news3

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t356628.html
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t356991.html

Amazing. These guys are starting to take almost as much **** as Bodybuilders. Maybe the Tour organizers need to rethink the tour stages so mortals can make it through.

That`s so risky...I wonder how that noone is cought during stage races.

Virenque said:
That`s so risky...I wonder how that noone is cought during stage races.
They only catch someone when the UCI needs to distract people from their mishandling of Operation Puerto. :D

Interesting allegation. I wonder if it can be corroborated; never mind, simply the taint of an accusation is indictment enough.

. I'm beginning to be quite pessimistic about Ullrich's future. He seems such a tragic figure; he couldn't go out like Lance, with a victory, but rather, with a scandal.

Can anyone explain the logic behind the schedule prescribed above? Why are certain things given at certain times?

azdroptop said:
Amazing. These guys are starting to take almost as much **** as Bodybuilders. Maybe the Tour organizers need to rethink the tour stages so mortals can make it through.

Don't think shortening the stages would make much difference. They were riding stages like these in the 30s and 40s, just took them longer. And some of those stages were on gravel roads.

I look at that story, and one thing sticks out right away. They're giving him test, but no epitest, so he's running a real risk of an imbalance. That story may be bogus. You gain such interesting insights from following pro cycling...

Besides that, why would Jan be doping in the first five days? **** doesn't happen in the first five days, it's mostly cruise along and stay out of the way of the suicidal sprinters. In the third week, maybe...

JohnO said:
Don't think shortening the stages would make much difference. They were riding stages like these in the 30s and 40s, just took them longer. And some of those stages were on gravel roads.

I look at that story, and one thing sticks out right away. They're giving him test, but no epitest, so he's running a real risk of an imbalance. That story may be bogus. You gain such interesting insights from following pro cycling...

Besides that, why would Jan be doping in the first five days? **** doesn't happen in the first five days, it's mostly cruise along and stay out of the way of the suicidal sprinters. In the third week, maybe...

Maybe the stay out of the sprinters is the key. Stay back and avoid being tested with a lackluster early performance, and when the juice has left your system start laying on the afterburners whilst everyone else is depleted.

Mirco said:
Ullrich's alleged doping plan

The Suddeutsche Zeitung has published what it claims was Jan Ullrich's doping plan for the first week of the Tour de France 2005, based on information from Operacion Puerto. For the first seven days of the Tour, Dr. Fuentes prepared him a series of hormones, insulin, cortisone, testosterone and blood transfusions, the newspaper alleged. It claimed that there was a "Roadbook" for the Tour 2005, which investigators link to Ullrich.

On the first day, according to the SZ, the hormone HZ was listed, the second day insulin I-3, the hormone TGN and cortisone, the third day TGN and PCH (a testosterone shot), on the fourth day HMG, a hormone mixture, a "rest day" on the fifth day, the sixth day insulin I-3, and on the last day, the re-infusion of his own blood, as well as insulin I-3 and vitamin E.

The newspaper also notes that it is not clear who might have helped Ullrich with possible transfusions, and notes that experts say that Pevenage or Ullrich himself might have managed it. There is no indication that the medical or support personnel of the team were involved, according to the SZ.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul14news3

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t356628.html
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t356991.html

So is there a chance of a DQ of Jan for 2005? That would put Mancebo (maybe) onto the podium. Wouldn't that make an interesting turnaround of Puerto for Mancebo?

JohnO said:
Don't think shortening the stages would make much difference.
I agree.

How short do they think we should go?

Have past < insert random country here > track sprinters have doped, a bike race doesn't get any shorter than 200m!

regards

German doctor Kurt Moosburger, who has looked after Jörg Jaksche (among others) for the past two years, has told dpa that he believes that performance enhancing drugs are "indispensable" for high level cycling

To help recover, testosterone and human growth hormone can be used. "Both are made by the body and are therefore natural substances," he said. "They help to build muscle as well as in muscle recovery."

Dr Moosburger explained how it was done. "You put a standard testosterone patch that is used for male hormone replacement therapy on your scrotum and leave it there for about six hours. The small dose is not sufficient to produce a positive urine result in the doping test, but the body actually recovers faster."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul07news3

JohnO said:

This is T-Mobile we're talking about....they were probably wondering why their doping plan wasn't having the desired effect. ;)

meb said:
Maybe the stay out of the sprinters is the key. Stay back and avoid being tested with a lackluster early performance, and when the juice has left your system start laying on the afterburners whilst everyone else is depleted.

So if this is right, essentially these guys could just dope to get themselves through the flat stages and then have all their energy left to get through the mountains legally. If Meb is right then they might as well just let them do it. Flat stages are boring anyway so maybe one of the juicers will get bored and go on a solo breakaway and make it more fun to watch. Tell me you wouldn't laugh seeing Basso hold off 197 riders on a flat road.

meb said:
So is there a chance of a DQ of Jan for 2005? That would put Mancebo (maybe) onto the podium. Wouldn't that make an interesting turnaround of Puerto for Mancebo?

Mancebo is on the OP list too. So they'd have to move the next doper that has not been caught onto the podium.

If I follow the reasons behind doping correctly, most of the doping that takes place during competition is recovery doping - microdosing EPO, or transfusions to rebuild depleted blood. And there it is on day 5 - a transfusion. During the first five days, there's really no depletion to require replenishing, for a GC contender like Jan.

I'm not saying that Jan is innocent, just that the doctor's story doesn't make sense. Reads like a story put together by a journalist who knew the buzzwords of doping, but not the purpose.

Let's face it - the media buzzards are circling, and they're none too discriminating about the truth when they publish flashy stories about cheating cyclists. (of course, they aren't publishing stories about the footballers mentioned in Puerto...)

JohnO said:
If I follow the reasons behind doping correctly, most of the doping that takes place during competition is recovery doping - microdosing EPO, or transfusions to rebuild depleted blood. And there it is on day 5 - a transfusion. During the first five days, there's really no depletion to require replenishing, for a GC contender like Jan.

I'm not saying that Jan is innocent, just that the doctor's story doesn't make sense. Reads like a story put together by a journalist who knew the buzzwords of doping, but not the purpose.

Let's face it - the media buzzards are circling, and they're none too discriminating about the truth when they publish flashy stories about cheating cyclists. (of course, they aren't publishing stories about the footballers mentioned in Puerto...)
Dr Moosburger went onto explain that, "The supply of oxygen to the blood decides what the body is capable of in terms of fat- and carbohydrate metabolism. This capacity is mostly genetically determined.The muscles of athletes who are able to reach the top level of sport can carry about 60 millilitres per kilo per minute in an untrained condition. That of an average person is only about 40 millilitres per kilo. In order to be able to keep up with the world's best, it must be 85 to 90 millilitres.

EPO helps oxygen carrying capacity, and has long been the performance enhancing drug of choice in endurance sports. "It enables you to hold the haematocrit of the blood in the upper level of what's allowed for the whole season. Before the EPO test, for example, athletes injected 4000 units three times per week. Now they inject a small dose almost daily."

Finally, in the opinion of Dr Moosburger, blood doping via transfusion would give an athlete a five percent boost for two to three weeks. "And therefore can last for a grand tour."
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul07news3

meehs said:
Mancebo is on the OP list too. So they'd have to move the next doper that has not been caught onto the podium.

Have they got anything on him for TDF 2005? The maybe emphasizes he might advance to the podium if there is evidence for Jan in '05 but not Mancebo.

meb said:
Have they got anything on him for TDF 2005? The maybe emphasizes he might advance to the podium if there is evidence for Jan in '05 but not Mancebo.

Ah! I see your point. I don't know how far back the whole OP thing goes. He may very well be celar for the '05 TdF.