Interesting FDA Newsletter

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Jim Dumas, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Jim Dumas

    Jim Dumas Guest

    Just about all the news in this FDA News Digest has some impact for us.

    FDA News Digest February 2, 2004

    Expanded 'Mad Cow' Measures Designed to Boost U.S. Safeguards

    FDA has put in place several new public health measures designed to bolster existing "firewalls"
    against bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or mad cow disease). Included is a ban on a wide range
    of bovine-derived material from human food, dietary supplements and cosmetics. FDA also is
    prohibiting certain previously allowed practices involving feed for cattle and other ruminant
    animals. http://www.hhs.gov/news/press/2004pres/20040126.html

    2nd FDA/Customs 'Blitz' Underscores Risks of Illegal Medicine Imports

    A second "blitz," conducted in late 2003 by FDA and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection agency to
    examine imported medicine shipments, has uncovered 1,728 unapproved drugs. These included foreign
    versions of FDA-approved drugs, along with drugs that have been recalled, require special storage,
    require close physician monitoring, and contain addictive controlled substances. FDA points to these
    findings as additional evidence of the serious risks posed by illegal importation of prescription
    drugs. http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2004/NEW01011.html

    Administration Proposes Budget Increase for Medical Devices in FY '05

    As part of its fiscal year 2005 budget, the Bush administration has requested a $25.6 million
    increase over the previous fiscal year's funding for FDA's medical device program. The increase will
    help FDA reach performance goals for the prompt review of medical devices so those products can be
    marketed quickly. http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2004/NEW01012.html

    Guidance Aims to Improve Information on Use of Investigational Drugs

    FDA has issued a draft guidance designed to make further information about the use of
    investigational drugs more readily available to patients. The document is intended to help patients
    with serious or life-threatening diseases who cannot be treated with existing therapy and who don't
    meet the eligibility criteria or are otherwise unable to participate in a clinical trial.
    http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2004/NEW01010.html

    New Web Site Explains Required Labeling of Trans Fats in Foods

    A 2003 FDA rule requires food manufacturers to list on labels the amount of trans fats found in
    their foods. To help consumers understand the new labeling, which must be in place no later than
    January 2006, the FDA Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition has created a Web site with
    helpful background on trans fats and how to minimize them in the diet. Though found in many food
    products, trans fats have been shown to raise levels of LDL ("bad") cholesterol and increase the
    risk of heart disease. The site includes sample "Nutrition Facts" labels showing where trans fat
    information will be located. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/transfat.html

    Consumers Warned Not to Feed Infants 'Better than Formula Ultra Infant Immune Booster 117'

    FDA is warning consumers that Better Than Formula Ultra Infant Immune Booster 117, sold over the
    Internet as a dietary supplement, should not be fed to infants. Even though the manufacturer, NSP
    Research Nutrition of Mt. Clemens, Mich., labeled the product as "a dietary supplement," FDA is
    concerned that the product may be used as an infant formula as a result of its labeling. If the
    product is used as formula, there are no assurances that it would support growth of infants, that it
    contains nutrients essential for infants, or that is has been manufactured using good practices.
    Also, the label lists a number of ingredients that have not been evaluated for safe use in infant
    formula. http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/NEWS/2004/NEW01009.html

  2. bistoury

    bistoury Guest

    This is why you must buy supplements that a vegetarian based and not animal based.

    Jim Dumas wrote:

> [...]

    > information will be located. http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/transfat.html
    >
    > Consumers Warned Not to Feed Infants 'Better than Formula Ultra Infant Immune Booster 117'
    >
    > FDA is warning consumers that Better Than Formula Ultra Infant Immune Booster 117, sold over the
    > Internet as a dietary supplement, should not be fed to infants. Even though the manufacturer, NSP
    > Research Nutrition of Mt. Clemens, Mich., labeled the product as "a dietary supplement," FDA is
    > concerned that the product may be used as an infant formula as a result of its labeling. If the
    > product is used as formula, there are no assurances that it would support growth of infants, that
    > it contains nutrients essential for infants, or that is has been manufactured using good
    > practices. Also, the label lists a number of ingredients that have not been evaluated for safe use

  3. Sleepyman

    Sleepyman Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:22:59 GMT, Jim Dumas
    <[email protected]!mindspring.com> wrote:

    >Just about all the news in this FDA News Digest has some impact for us.

    Well I shall do my best to carry on, but it will be *hard*............

    Sleepy

    If you don't dissagree with me, how will I know I'm right?