Interesting Link

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> Brownz (Mobile) <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.dft.gov.uk/172974/173025/221412/221549/227755/285672/Article4Co
>> ntributoryFa1.xls
>>
>> Just in case you hadn't seen it before......

> For those of us without Excel, what is it?

It's the "accident" contributory factor data, in tables, out of RCGB
2006 (958 kb):
<http://www.dft.gov.uk/162259/162469/221412/221549/227755/rcgb2006v1.pdf>

(you'll need a pdf reader though!)

--
Matt B

http://www.openoffice.org/

This free office suite will open as far as I know all Microsoft Office
files. When you download and install it will ask you if you want it
too open Microsoft stuff - tick yes.

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> Brownz (Mobile) <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> http://www.dft.gov.uk/172974/173025/221412/221549/227755/285672/Article4Co
>> ntributoryFa1.xls
>>
>> Just in case you hadn't seen it before......

> For those of us without Excel, what is it?

An indication that is is time to download "open office".which will read
Excel files fine!

All right - a set of tables of road accident factors.

A few plums :

For all types of vehicle the percentage of accidents with the
contributing factor of the vehicle red light jumping is the same (1%)

11% of accidents involving bicycles had the factor of cyclist entering
road from pavement.

Paul

--
CTC Right to Ride Rep. for Richmond upon Thames

Matt B wrote:
> Ekul Namsob wrote:
>> Brownz (Mobile) <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.dft.gov.uk/172974/173025/221412/221549/227755/285672/Article4Co
>>>
>>> ntributoryFa1.xls
>>>
>>> Just in case you hadn't seen it before......

>> For those of us without Excel, what is it?

> It's the "accident" contributory factor data, in tables, out of RCGB
> 2006 (958 kb):
> <http://www.dft.gov.uk/162259/162469/221412/221549/227755/rcgb2006v1.pdf>

I have been looking at some of the annual data in this report, does
anyone know where I can find more historical annual data, i.e. for the
1960s and '70s.
e.g. table 2 only provides data every 5 years until 1980, and many other
tables only go back to 1999 or 1996

Martin.

Steve wrote:
> 3 people were killed by traffic calming, I wonder how that works.

Well, I lost the back wheel on the side of a hump once, and slid about
10 metres on my hip - would that have counted if the driver behind had
failed to stop?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Brownz (Mobile) wrote:
> http://www.dft.gov.uk/172974/173025/221412/221549/227755/285672/Article4ContributoryFa1.xls
>
> Just in case you hadn't seen it before......

Out of 3172 deaths in 2006, 1348 (42.5%) were single vehicle accidents.
Single vehicle here includes a vehicle killing a pedestrian.

577 Pedestrians were killed in single vehicle accidents, 3 of which
involved pedal cycles. 96 Pedestrians were killed in multiple vehicle
accidents. Which leaves 2 other pedestrian fatalities in 2006.

One cyclist was injured on a motorway !?!?!?!

Of the cyclists killed, 12 were single vehicle accidents. Of the two
vehicles accidents, one involved another cyclist, 2 motorbikes, 78 cars,
4 buses, 32 goods vehicles, 2 other vehicles. With 15 cyclists killed
in accidents involving 3 or more vehicles.

"calum" <cpm[AT]e-mile.co.uk> wrote:

> "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote
> >
> > For those of us without Excel, what is it?
> >

> Is this any use to you? It's a free excel spreadsheet reader from
> Microsoft:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-456
> 9-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

Thanks but no. I'm on a Mac.

To be fair, I could open the file but I'd have to fire up NeoOffice and,
frankly, I find the posting of links without any explanation
discourteous.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Steve <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 20:28:24 GMT, Brownz (Mobile) wrote:
>
> > http://www.dft.gov.uk/172974/173025/221412/221549/227755/285672/Article4
> > ContributoryFa1.xls
> >
> > Just in case you hadn't seen it before......

> 3 people were killed by traffic calming, I wonder how that works.

There was a story in the Lancashire Evening Post a couple of years ago
about a driver who, swerving to avoid a speed pillow, hit a teenage girl
and broke her leg.

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> "calum" <cpm[AT]e-mile.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> "Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote
>>>
>>> For those of us without Excel, what is it?
>>>

>> Is this any use to you? It's a free excel spreadsheet reader from
>> Microsoft:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c8378bf4-996c-456
>> 9-b547-75edbd03aaf0&DisplayLang=en

> Thanks but no. I'm on a Mac.
>
> To be fair, I could open the file but I'd have to fire up NeoOffice
> and, frankly, I find the posting of links without any explanation
> discourteous.

Bovvered ..... nah.

One more arty farty - up his own **** mac user added to the KF.

--
Cheerz - Brownz
'89 K100RS

Brownz (Mobile) <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote:

> > To be fair, I could open the file but I'd have to fire up NeoOffice
> > and, frankly, I find the posting of links without any explanation
> > discourteous.
> >

> Bovvered ..... nah.

Another person who hasn't grasped that communication is about getting
one's point across to others and not about getting one's point across to
oneself.

Is it /still/ September?

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

Brownz (Mobile) <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.dft.gov.uk/172974/173025/221412/221549/227755/285672/Article4Co
> ntributoryFa1.xls
>
> Just in case you hadn't seen it before......

It's interesting, someone with the exact same IP as you decided to post
an abusive comment to my blog today.

"dude with a life (IP: 82.10.96.28 ,
cpc3-oxfd2-0-0-cust27.oxfd.cable.ntl.com)
E-mail : [email protected]
Whois : http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=82.10.96.28"

Unfortunately, they were too cowardly to identify themselves.

Ta ra,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

In article <1iba5yk.1nuko1xd63eq2N%
[email protected]>, Ekul Namsob
[email protected] says...

> Another person who hasn't grasped that communication is about getting
> one's point across to others and not about getting one's point across to
> oneself.

Also doesn't seem to realise that these days Mac users are quite likely
to be *NIX techies rather than graphics people.