Interesting morning ride

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
Interesting morning ride

As it is a *glorious* morning today, as soon as Nathan left for school, Vernon & I got the cycling
kit on and went out for a morning constitutional on our steeds.

It was an interesting ride. The weather was *perfect* cycling weather again - bright & sunny but
not hot and little wind. But, you could tell it was still morning with sleepy drivers on their way
to work. In the first five minutes of the ride, several cars had zoomed by us (and we were riding
single file) a tad too close for comfort with wing mirrors a bit too near. One Vauxhall driver now
has the curse of the Simmons upon him/her, so he or she can be sure the insurance premium he/she
pays will be going up as a result of said curse, as he/she totals the car at some point in the
future (without hurting anyone else as part of said curse). Then the HGV drivers in the first five
minutes of the ride all appeared to be on some sort of "kill a cyclist" mission this morning as
they zoomed by with inches to spare. More versions of The Curse invoked. Obviously it was my fault
I was wearing the Klingon cloak of invisibility in my fluorescent yellow cycling jersey and
fluorescent yellow ankle bands, and me being as slim as a whippet, there's obviously nothing to see
of me - if only …

Halfway round our pootle about the lanes, we did get some lovely courtesy from an HGV driver,
though. Vernon & I were cycling up a narrow, usually quiet lane, up a steep hill with a blind top -
and over the brow came an HGV taking up entire width of the road. This knight of the road, however,
pulled up on to the verge and stopped to allow Vernon & I to cycle by. What a nice man! As we cycled
by, Vernon & I both called out a thank you to him.

Then it was back to "normal" for this morning, with another HGV playing "kill the cyclist" on a
chicane, where he overtook us on the chicane going way to fast and cut in, in front of me, in such a
way as the padded shorts I was wearing almost acquired some unwanted extra soft brown padding.
Another Curse invoked. A lot of those done today - I shall be doing a fair bit of nekkid dancing
round the willow trees in the garden in the middle of the night, whilst chanting strange chants.

On the last bit of the ride is a short uphill. I must have been going fast for me as Vernon said,
"Going for the points, sweetie?" Sarcasm does not become him ;-)

Anyhow, now a cup of tea & a shower.

Cheers, Helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

In article <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
<[email protected]> writes

> I shall be doing a fair bit of nekkid dancing round the willow trees in the garden in the middle
> of the night, whilst chanting strange chants.

No chance of a jpeg, I suppose?
--
The Big Baguette

>No chance of a jpeg, I suppose?
>--
>The Big Baguette

Heck no - it would cause instant mental instability on anyone who saw it. :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
>> No chance of a jpeg, I suppose?
>> --
>> The Big Baguette
>
> Heck no - it would cause instant mental instability on anyone who saw it.
> :)

What are you implying about Vernon - or do you always keep the lights off ;-)

Tony

[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> In the first five minutes of the ride, several cars had zoomed by us (and we were riding single
> file) a tad too close for comfort with wing mirrors a bit too near.

I'm convinced it is sometimes actually safer to ride 2 abreast than in single file as this forces
the cars to overtake you properly rather than just squeezing past as though you weren't there. Not
at pinch points though where they'll often try to squeeze past although there plainly isn't room.

--
Dave...

On 19 Mar 2003 08:35:38 -0800, [email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote:

>I'm convinced it is sometimes actually safer to ride 2 abreast than in single file as this forces
>the cars to overtake you properly rather than just squeezing past as though you weren't there. Not
>at pinch points though where they'll often try to squeeze past although there plainly isn't room.

Very true, of course you don't need a second rider in order to occupy the same road space as two
abreast. When it's necessary and safer to do so, just move out and take the extra room you need.

Bob

On 19 Mar 2003 10:28:05 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Interesting morning ride
>
>As it is a *glorious* morning today, as soon as Nathan left for school, Vernon & I got the cycling
>kit on and went out for a morning constitutional on our steeds.

Dear Mrs Tapeworm

You are beginning to annoy me with your constant ride reports. Your "oh, oh, oh what a lovely day"
comments annoy me most of all.

As you know, I fly kites (bloody well, as it 'appens). The weather here has been similar to that in
Norfolk so I keep on saying to myself "today is a good day to fly" (as Worf might say - or not).

Having to read all your reports leaves me little time to actually do anything.

Grrrrrr James

PS Be careful with those HGVs

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

>Dear Mrs Tapeworm

Are you suggesting I am married to a tapeworm??? ;-)

>You are beginning to annoy me with your constant ride reports. Your "oh, oh, oh what a lovely day"
>comments annoy me most of all.

Hehehe!

>As you know, I fly kites (bloody well, as it 'appens). The weather here has been similar to that in
>Norfolk so I keep on saying to myself "today is a good day to fly" (as Worf might say - or not).

He's be drinking a galss of prune juice as he did so.

>Having to read all your reports leaves me little time to actually do anything.

:)

>Grrrrrr James

Don'tcha just love it when a man speaks dirty.

>PS Be careful with those HGVs

Try to be.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

On 20 Mar 2003 17:32:58 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Are you suggesting I am married to a tapeworm??? ;-)

Not at all. I'd always assumed it was a hyphenated surname but you couldn't find the hyphen on your
keyboaRRRDdd. The fact that I couldn't recall your surname is totally incidental.

>>As you know, I fly kites (bloody well, as it 'appens). The weather here has been similar to
>>that in Norfolk so I keep on saying to myself "today is a good day to fly" (as Worf might say -
>>or not).
>
>He's be drinking a galss of prune juice as he did so.

A galss of prune juice? Close, Helen; a tumbler of wine that tastes like prune juice is
more correct.

>>Grrrrrr James
>
>Don'tcha just love it when a man speaks dirty.

Too right. I've just been talking to a friend about Microsoft ME.

Give my regards to the cat(s).

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.