interesting newspaper article AUS

craigdurkee

Aug 4, 2006
This article was in today's Age clicky

This mentions the recently discussed british survey... but a few points I found.. interesting

The British research comes as a new Australian report into cycling deaths has found that slashing speed limits on Melbourne's roads would stop cyclists being killed.

■Cyclists make up 3 per cent of deaths on Australian roads.

■80 per cent of cyclists killed on our roads since 1991 were men.
Maybe thats because a higher percentage of cyclists are male

■Teenage boys aged 15 to 19 made up more than 10 per cent of cyclists killed.

■Drivers who hit and killed cyclists blamed poor visibility as the main factor in the accident.
cos THEY weren't paying enough attention maybe ?

■In 48 bicycle fatalities between 2001 and 2004, 18 riders were not wearing helmets.

■In 60 per cent of fatal bicycle crashes, the cyclist was at fault, particularly at intersections.

craigdurkee said:
This article was in today's Age clicky

This mentions the recently discussed british survey... but a few points I found.. interesting
And the interesting bit is?

What would have been interesting is if they attributed 20% of fatalities to UFOs...

fauxpas said:
And the interesting bit is?

What would have been interesting is if they attributed 20% of fatalities to UFOs...
yes, and im sure that the dead cyclist in question would be able to vouch for the fact that they were being invisible and running red lights at intersections.

oh hold on, dead people cant talk. well, i guess what the driver says must be right then.