Interesting Observations

limerickman

Jan 5, 2004
I have just been looking at the build up to the Olympic Games here in Ireland where we have our own TV stations as well as BBC, ITV etc.

The mens Road Race is next Saturday and I was fascinated to read/hear the comments made by general (non-cycling) commentators about this event.

One guy said "and they race - listen to this folks - for over six hours. Imagine that, having to cycle for six hours !"
Or how about this from the TV guide for next week "9.45 GMT coverage of the Mens Olympic Road Race which is six hours +, this program will be intercut with Hockey, Volleyball and other sports. Times may vary".

Or how about this comment from the Irish Times Newspaper "of course, the fact that the Mens Olympic Cycling Road Race is the longest endurance event
in Athens will merely give succour to those who believe that this sport is full of endurance performance enhancing drugs.
One cannot blame those who have this perception, after all cycling round for
six hours in extreme heat is beyond most mortals.
And when you consider that most of these competitors will have completed the Tour De France and have cycled about 25,000 miles already this season,
one would have to wonder".

This is how the outside world view the world of cycling.

limerickman said:
This is how the outside world view the world of cycling.

Which is reinforced by unsupported allegations made by those who might not consider themselves outsiders.

musette said:
Which is reinforced by unsupported allegations made by those who might not consider themselves outsiders.

Or re-enforced by those who were insiders and have a detailed knowledge
of how cheating operates.

The perception in the wider public ie outside of cycling public, is that men/women who cycle are using substances to enable them to do so.
I didn't post my original message to enter in to a debate about cheating - I
posted my initial message to illustrate how the outside world views cycling.
(there are plenty of thread here where the issue of cheating is being debated as you well know)

It's also quite common for people to think that because something is significantly beyond their own individual (natural) abilities/habits/whatever, it must be beyond everybody's.

limerickman said:

The perception in the wider public ie outside of cycling public, is that men/women who cycle are using substances to enable them to do so.
I didn't post my original message to enter in to a debate about cheating - I
posted my initial message to illustrate how the outside world views cycling.
(there are plenty of thread here where the issue of cheating is being debated as you well know)

How do you come to the conclusion that the wider public outside of the cycling public perceives that men/women who cycle are using substances to enable them to do so? Where are your figures to substantiate such a claim? Is this just another one of your exaggerated claims? Or do you have evidence of such a perception? In other words, why do you assume that the general public jumps to the same wild conclusion that you do when it reads a few doping stories about riders who get caught? Have you seen the results of any surveys on such a topic? To be widespread, doping must not only be perceived as widespread by extrapolating a few stories and stretching the imagination a little; it must be widespread in fact. Do you really believe the general public will make such a stretch like you have? This strikes me as rather far fetched.

gntlmn said:
How do you come to the conclusion that the wider public outside of the cycling public perceives that men/women who cycle are using substances to enable them to do so? Where are your figures to substantiate such a claim? Is this just another one of your exaggerated claims? Or do you have evidence of such a perception? In other words, why do you assume that the general public jumps to the same wild conclusion that you do when it reads a few doping stories about riders who get caught? Have you seen the results of any surveys on such a topic? To be widespread, doping must not only be perceived as widespread by extrapolating a few stories and stretching the imagination a little; it must be widespread in fact. Do you really believe the general public will make such a stretch like you have? This strikes me as rather far fetched.

The same "logic" is used to support that conclusion as it is to arrive at certain other posts on this board. :D

gntlmn said:

Where have I said that covering large distance was down to drug abuse ?

No disrespect intended here but you seem to have this uncanny ability to
launch in to a tirade without reading the aforementioned posts in this thread.
Go and read what I posted on this thread today and then come back and aske the question.

musette said:
The same "logic" is used to support that conclusion as it is to arrive at certain other posts on this board. :D

and the same applies to you.
where have I mentioned drug use in this thread ?
Can you point out where I mentioned drug abuse in this thread titles interesting observations ?

and while we're at it - if you can send me details of your palmares, I'd be very interested in reading it.

Must every thread here come down to a (Lance Armstrong) doping debate?

I think that most people have a less respect of cycling than that. After all, only kids ride bikes. Adults drive cars.

keydates said:
Must every thread here come down to a (Lance Armstrong) doping debate?

I think that most people have a less respect of cycling than that. After all, only kids ride bikes. Adults drive cars.

A couple of children wanted this thread to descend in to an LA/doping
discussion but I replied early to say that this was not my intention for posting
(see message 3).

limerickman said:
Can you point out where I mentioned drug abuse in this thread titles interesting observations ?

Originally Posted by limerickman

I think Limerickman's point is the sport needs to clean itself up so other less knowledgeable folks don't think cyclists are dopers. We can argue all day long about which individual cyclist are "cheating", but the fact remains that pro cycling needs to do something about its image.

Limerickman did reference drug use in cycling. Everyone knows what cheating in cycling means. If not then exactly what did you mean by "cheating"?

Bikerman2004 said:
limerickman said:

Originally Posted by limerickman

I think Limerickman's point is the sport needs to clean itself up so other less knowledgeable folks don't think cyclists are dopers. We can argue all day long about which individual cyclist are "cheating", but the fact remains that pro cycling needs to do something about its image.

Limerickman did reference drug use in cycling. Everyone knows what cheating in cycling means. If not then exactly what did you mean by "cheating"?

For the record once again - I posted the original observation to show the Forum, how the media in this part of the world views cycling.
Most other sports don't last six hours in duration.
The wider public therefore find it hard to conceive how someone can
participate in such an endurance event.

Another poster - for purely mischevious purposes it needs to be added - then
started going on about drugs.
In my third message, I stressed that this thread was not created to discuss
drugs, it was created in order to bring an awareness as to how this sport
is viewed in the wider world.
I told that poster that she could go off on to the numerous threads that populate this forum to discuss drugs.

Whether we like it or not, cycling distances and durations are viewed by the
wider public as being inconceivable.
That's the point I wanted to make.

limerickman said:
For the record once again - I posted the original observation to show the Forum, how the media in this part of the world views cycling.
Yeah, you might want to chill out a bit gntlmn...I just read the first post and it seemed pretty innocent to me,, A lot of media sources share resources so if you have several stories reporting similar things it normally means a general view has formed or may be starting to form...That is certainly true in the case of Australian Cycling. In the past few weeks, amid a degree of factual evidence, the belief that drugs are commonly used has increased immensely,, fortunately there doesn't seem to be any links to any tour riders

I know, "from anecdotal evidence" that a lot of people I know think that cycling for 6 hours would be impossible..let alone the 400km a day they used to do in the early tours...

Hmm I wonder if they had even invented drugs back then? Maybe some sort of:

**Longmuir's Patented Whisscoughing Detraction Powder**
Guaranteed to Increase your Plasto-Glytens by 10%

limerickman said:

and while we're at it - if you can send me details of your palmares, I'd be very interested in reading it.

Limerick, my man whom I most frequently love to disagree with, what is with you and the palmares? Is it your position that unless a person is or has been a racing cyclist then he or she is unable to formulate an opinion or have a thought?

limerickman said:
Most other sports don't last six hours in duration.
The wider public therefore find it hard to conceive how someone can
participate in such an endurance event.

Another poster - for purely mischevious purposes it needs to be added - then
started going on about drugs.
In my third message, I stressed that this thread was not created to discuss
drugs, it was created in order to bring an awareness as to how this sport
is viewed in the wider world.
I told that poster that she could go off on to the numerous threads that populate this forum to discuss drugs.

Whether we like it or not, cycling distances and durations are viewed by the
wider public as being inconceivable.
That's the point I wanted to make.
Lim,

As a cycling fan, I understand and agree with the theme of your original post. However, anyone who thinks the modern day olympics and the TV productions surrounding its broadcast is for the purest is engaging in wishful thinking. If most of us see 30 minutues of racing I'd be surprised. What we are more likely to witness will be taped replays interspersed with rider profiles, inane background on the sport, some stories about doping and some lame attempt by an on-air reporter to show the "difficult" nature fo the sport by riding a bike up the Parthenon hill.

Olympic broadcasts have become the most manufactured media / joint marketing event known to man-kind, and I'm a huge fan of the Olympics. Just remember that Womens Gymnastics is the most watched TV event in the typical Olympiad.

Let the games begin...

Brunswick_kate said:
Limerick, my man whom I most frequently love to disagree with, what is with you and the palmares? Is it your position that unless a person is or has been a racing cyclist then he or she is unable to formulate an opinion or have a thought?

Kate,

I'm never one to boast about palmares and I certainly wouldn't use that argument with anyone else on this entire site - except for one person and she
knows who she is.

This particular individual I addressed with this question, is very very disingenuous.
When you've got to go full bore - you go full bore, Kate - trust me on this one.

limerickman said:
A couple of children wanted this thread to descend in to an LA/doping
discussion but I replied early to say that this was not my intention for posting
(see message 3).

I am amazed at the sensitivity of some contributors, It's as if they've been accused of doping themselves. Limerickman's contribution was entirely innocent but also very thought provoking. We live in a world where it is so easy to accept situations and not to question how or why. Keep on observing Limerickman!

limerickman said:
Where have I said that covering large distance was down to drug abuse ?

No disrespect intended here but you seem to have this uncanny ability to
launch in to a tirade without reading the aforementioned posts in this thread.
Go and read what I posted on this thread today and then come back and aske the question.

Where have I said that you made that claim? Again, you fail to read what I write to you. I was responding to what you wrote, and again, you don't listen.

What I'm saying is that you are observing the media and it's fascination with the drug issue. It's how they generate interest/revenue, by continually insinuating that athletes are doping. You jump on this very same bandwagon because you see how much controversy it generates, and then you just pour fuel onto the flame.

The media is overblowing the doping issue, and you are too. Do they focus on the fact that only a tiny fraction of athletes are doping? No! They keep projecting, without evidence, the deeds of a few on the shoulders of many. They have no evidence for such claims, nor do you. It's like being superstitious. Some people, such as yourself, will never be dissuaded.

limerickman said:
Kate,

I'm never one to boast about palmares and I certainly wouldn't use that argument with anyone else on this entire site - except for one person and she
knows who she is.

This particular individual I addressed with this question, is very very disingenuous.
When you've got to go full bore - you go full bore, Kate - trust me on this one.

You frequently use the palmares argument against Lance Armstrong as well. You say that he's not such a great cyclist as some former greats because he does not have such an impressive palmares. This argument is akin to saying that someone who wins the 100 meters (track) at the Olympics is not all that great because he didn't participate in a local meet in your hometown last week. It's kind of a manipulative ploy, this whole palmares issue. You use it against the athletes' natural tendency to want to be the best in the best race and earn the most income the sport has to offer. You would prefer that they water down their talents to bring more income to the other events. I don't have a problem with the best athletes avoiding lesser known and less prestigious competitions to be in their best form for the grandest.

As for impressive palmares, if you fall for the doping pervasiveness argument, as you seem to, those with the most impressive palmares are most likely to be the ones doing the most doping. Otherwise, their performance would suffer. So I don't know why you would use palmares as a badge of honor. Even if it isn't a result of doping, an impressive palmares likely will lead to an earlier retirement. The undrugged body needs to rest.

gntlmn said:
Where have I said that you made that claim? Again, you fail to read what I write to you. I was responding to what you wrote, and again, you don't listen.

What I'm saying is that you are observing the media and it's fascination with the drug issue. It's how they generate interest/revenue, by continually insinuating that athletes are doping. You jump on this very same bandwagon because you see how much controversy it generates, and then you just pour fuel onto the flame.

The media is overblowing the doping issue, and you are too. Do they focus on the fact that only a tiny fraction of athletes are doping? No! They keep projecting, without evidence, the deeds of a few on the shoulders of many. They have no evidence for such claims, nor do you. It's like being superstitious. Some people, such as yourself, will never be dissuaded.

I am not getting in to a discussion about doping with you or Musette on this thread - is this understood ?

Messages 2 and 4 are from you and Musette respectively on this thread.
On message 4 you waded in with and I quote "How do you come to the conclusion that the wider public outside of the cycling public perceives that men/women who cycle are using substances to enable them to do so?" and
launched ina diatribe about drugs/doping/statistics of the number of people who believe that there is widepsread doping.

You and Musette - brought up the subject of doping on this thread, and in message 3 I said I was not discussing doping and I repeated this claim in several messages on this thread subsequently.