Interesting one this morning...

Simonb

Guest
A ped stepped backwards off the pavement into my path,
without looking, to let a POBOTP* pass! Nearly knocked
said ped flat.

I hurled my usual "Push it!" at the POBOTP*.

*Person On a Bike On The Pavement

I hit one of those reversing peds last summer. He did a very
sudden backward surge into the cycle path and I hit him at
well over 20 mph with the right shoulder in a sort of
braking slide.

The interesting thing about it was that he did a double
rolling summersault and I did a sudden stop with the
momentum all transferred to the ped.

No damage to me but not sure how much damage was done to
him as he was too aggressive about it all. Could have been
nasty though.

The joys of the Brighton cycle paths.

Brian

"Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote
in message
news:[email protected]...
> A ped stepped backwards off the pavement into my path,
> without looking, to let a POBOTP* pass! Nearly knocked
> said ped flat.
>
> I hurled my usual "Push it!" at the POBOTP*.
>
> *Person On a Bike On The Pavement

Saw someone pushing a wheel chair down a segregated cycle
lane yesterday. Politely waited until the ped crossing phase
at the lights was over then proceeded when the light went
green for the bikes*.

odd. and obstructive.

richard

* which is of course oxymoronic, because as every car
driver will tell you the lights *always* appear green
to cyclists.

Brian Drury wrote:
> I hit one of those reversing peds last summer. He did a
> very sudden backward surge into the cycle path and I hit
> him at well over 20 mph with the right shoulder in a sort
> of braking slide.
>
> The interesting thing about it was that he did a double
> rolling summersault and I did a sudden stop with the
> momentum all transferred to the ped.
>
> No damage to me but not sure how much damage was done to
> him as he was too aggressive about it all. Could have been
> nasty though.
>
> The joys of the Brighton cycle paths.
>
> Brian
>

> "Simonb" <[email protected]>
> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>A ped stepped backwards off the pavement into my path,
>>without looking, to let a POBOTP* pass! Nearly knocked
>>said ped flat.
>>
>>I hurled my usual "Push it!" at the POBOTP*.
>>
>>*Person On a Bike On The Pavement

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:13:56 +0100 someone who may be "Brian Drury"
<briandotdruryatdsldotpipexdotcom> wrote this:-

>I hit one of those reversing peds last summer. He did a
>very sudden backward surge into the cycle path and I hit
>him at well over 20 mph with the right shoulder in a sort
>of braking slide. [snip]

>No damage to me but not sure how much damage was done to
>him as he was too aggressive about it all.

Obviously it was your fault that he stepped backwards.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh | PGP email preferred-key number
F566DA0E I will always explain revoked keys, unless the UK

On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 08:32:27 +0100, richard <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>Saw someone pushing a wheel chair down a segregated cycle
>lane yesterday. Politely waited until the ped crossing
>phase at the lights was over then proceeded when the light
>went green for the bikes*.
>
>odd. and obstructive.

At a guess, he thinks that anything with wheels is a bike.

Still, what's the difference between a wheelchair and a
recumbent... ;-)
--
Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk

"Gawnsoft" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 08:32:27 +0100, richard
> <[email protected]> wrote (more or less):
>
> >Saw someone pushing a wheel chair down a segregated cycle
> >lane yesterday. Politely waited until the ped crossing
> >phase at the lights was over then proceeded when the
> >light went green for the bikes*.
> >
> >odd. and obstructive.
>
> At a guess, he thinks that anything with wheels is a bike.
>
> Still, what's the difference between a wheelchair and a
> recumbent...

<kibology> 20 dollars, same as in town. </kibology>

Alternatively, about 20 mph on the flat I'd guess.
--
Mark South: World Citizen, Net Denizen

Gawnsoft wrote:

> Still, what's the difference between a wheelchair and a
> recumbent... ;-)

Smiley noted, but taking it seriously "recumbent" is
generally used in the context of "recumbent cycle", so the
answer is the pedals. However, the question actually becomes
quite legitimate when you ask if a handcycle conversion for
a wheelchair is valid (why not?), and if you let them in
then why not a chair powered directly by pushing on the
wheels (after all, the racing chairs in the right hands go
faster than many a bike and tend to travel in straighter
lines than many a bike too)?

Cycles tend to defy rigid categorisation, unless you're
legislating for race regulation compliance

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer Tel 44 1382 660111
ext. 33637 Univ. of Dundee, Ninewells Hospital Fax 44 1382

richard <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Saw someone pushing a wheel chair down a segregated cycle
> lane yesterday. Politely waited until the ped crossing
> phase at the lights was over then proceeded when the light
> went green for the bikes*.

He was probably pushing the bloke Brian hit last summer.

Seriously though a pedestrian pushing a wheelchair plus
occupant is clearly still a pedestrian. However, I'm not
so sure about the status of a wheelchair occupant
propelling himself.

--
Dave...