Interesting side effect from starting to ride again

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by DeanC, Aug 9, 2004.

1. DeanC

DeanC New Member

A couple of weeks ago I took my '89 Bianchi Limited (7 spd hyper-glide, shifters on the down tube, baby) down to the shop, got it tuned up and got myself back on the road again. The 10 years and 60 lbs or so since I last rode seriously mean that my idea of "long" and "fast" are different that they were in the early 90's but even just two weeks of being back in the saddle have me feeling great. My energy level is through the roof, I feel stronger and my jeans are getting tigher around my quads and looser around my waist already. :D

I've noticed one interesting side effect though that I wonder if anyone else just starting (or just returning to) training has seen. Without changing the number of covers on my bed, or the temperature in my bedroom, since I started riding again I've been waking up in the middle of the night because I'm too hot. My guess is that between my metabolism being up in general and all the muscle rebuilding that must be going one while I sleep, I'm just cranking out more BTUs at night than I was two weeks ago. Have any of you experienced something similar?

Dean

Tags:

2. TechJD

TechJD New Member

not just in the middle of the nite :) you just notice then
    you will be puting out more all the time
    my kids have noticed it on me while holding my hand
    "Daddy your hand is warm"

3. tomUK

tomUK New Member

Hyperglide - those were the days. I swear there will be racing bikes in heaven with hyperglide on them.

4. DeanC

DeanC New Member

That's kind of scary, actually. I'm already the guy in shorts when everyone else is reaching for the polar fleece. If I start putting out more heat during the day I'm afraid my clothes will start to smolder. :eek:

5. eortiz

eortiz New Member

You will always be warmer than anyone else. Like you siad, your metabolism is working over time now compared to when you stopped riding. Not to mention that your muscles are working over time too burning clories and trying to recover after a ride. Lately, I cannot sleep with my wife since I need the electric fan pointed directly at me in the evening. This is when we already have the AC on :eek:
    [/QUOTE]
    I've noticed one interesting side effect though that I wonder if anyone else just starting (or just returning to) training has seen. Without changing the number of covers on my bed, or the temperature in my bedroom, since I started riding again I've been waking up in the middle of the night because I'm too hot. My guess is that between my metabolism being up in general and all the muscle rebuilding that must be going one while I sleep, I'm just cranking out more BTUs at night than I was two weeks ago. Have any of you experienced something similar?

Dean[/QUOTE]

6. nowtheworld

nowtheworld New Member

Funny you mention that, I also have been finding the same things. I've started cycling a lot on the road recently, trying to train myself up a bit, and I've found that I'm constantly warm. Thing is, over the last few days I haven't trained at all because of time restraints and having my bike serviced and I now feel cold. Kinda sucks...

Jon

7. KakenBetaal

KakenBetaal New Member

Funny, I seem to go the other way - I get cold much more easily when fit, especially after exercise and when sitting quietly I always seem to be the first to put on a jersey. Maybe the 20 pounds lost weight down to 145 is a whole lot of lost insulation?

8. eortiz

eortiz New Member

That is also another side effect on riding a lot/loosing weight (fat). Insulation on your body thins out and you tend to get colder faster that you used to. I do get colder faster now (on a couple of days off the bike), unless of course I've been riding specially under the CA heat. But my body stays warm after every ride and even a couple of hours later.

To keep my body temp down, I hydrate myself thoroughly and eel and drink barley tea. It's the Japanese way of keeping themselves cool during the summer time there. It works. For the carb part, I eat their soba noodles which is boiled then rinsed with cold water. Ok, now time to eat (I just rode my bike) :D

9. rlimbert

rlimbert New Member

That's funny - I've also lost 20 pounds, down to 145, and I now get cold much more easily than I used to. The upside is that I'm much more tolerant of heat than I used to be. Though living in New England I'm not sure I got the best of that deal...

But like the original poster, after a hard ride I can feel my body radiating extra heat for hours afterwards. It almost feels like having a fever, though without the chills and sickly feeling. I attribute it to my metabolism being elevated for some time even after I'm done riding. And it's most noticeable when I'm in bed, probably due to blankets trapping the heat. Kind of a neat feeling, really.

Rob

10. stonely0

stonely0 New Member

Guys,... same here, feeling unusually hot after rides at nite while sleeping... I just started recently after about 5yrs of intervals since my last ride. Another strange thing that i realize are, i'm always feeling hungry and when i'm not riding, i'm battleling a hunger war with myself, fighting the urge to go on an all out food rampage. is it normal?

11. jpwkeeper

jpwkeeper Member

I'll wager some of it is your core temperature. After a heavy aerobic activity, your matabolism keeps kicking at a higher rate for around 24 hours. Also, it can take a long, long time for your actual core temperature to drop back to whatever is normal for you, especially if you're a large guy (fat or not) to begin with.

I play indoor soccer in a place with no ventilation and no A/C. To give you an idea of how hot it is, imagine going out to your car, sitting in the sun, at 6:00pm (when the first game of the evening starts) and your windows are rolled up. That is just a little bit hotter than it is in this hall, maybe 5 degrees or so. Anyway, after a particularly long and difficult night (sometimes play 3 games or so, 45 minutes each, across the evening), I'll shed heat like crazy for up to 48 hours.

I never noticed this until I had a baby. We keep a thermomometer in his room since it's not supposed to climb above 70 degrees F (anything above this increases the risk of SIDS). Anyway, over 24 hours after a very hot, very long night I was getting ready to go downstairs and crank the AC since I thought it was too hot for him, but when I checked his thermometer read 68.4 degrees, which was perfect. It was definitely an eye opener. Before I just assumed it was the house varying in temperature based on how hot it had been; now I know the AC is doing its job and I'm the one whose varying.

I think this is exagerated when you exercise in heat indexes at 98 degrees or higher, since your body can no longer use the air around you to effectively cool you down.

The way I comat this now is, while I'm showering afterwords I very gradually make the water colder until it's fairly chilly (don't do this quickly or you'll cramp, and I think there are other dangers as well). That makes your outer layers colder, which in turn will act like a heat sink for your core. It's not immediate, but it does speed up the process immensely. Now I notice that i'm usually back to normal by around 3:00am or so.

Just my very verbose 2 cents.

12. rlimbert

rlimbert New Member

I don't know what's normal, but I'm the same way. After a long and/or hard ride (and for me 'long' means over 20 or 25 miles), I'm pretty much eating everything in sight for the rest of the day. I figure this is okay because (a) The stuff I eat is relatively healthy, and (b) I'm not gaining weight, even though I've been following this pattern for 15 years.