Interesting speed check results

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Trevor Barton, Feb 9, 2005.

  1. In the wake of the RAC, was it, saying that something like 50% of motorists
    speed as a matter of course, I have some interesting results from a speed
    check done in our village by the local county council.

    The village is Huby on the A658 north of Leeds between Pool in Warfedale
    and Harrogate. A speed check was set up about 150yds inside the 30mph
    zone on the Pool side of the village (for anyone who knows the area).
    The 30mph zone is well posted with rumble strips and a red centre-line
    area and a painted red bit at the entrance - in other words
    impossible to miss. About 100yds into the village fro the check area
    there is a bend in the road - probably a 50-60mph bend if there was no
    other speed restriction - but blind nevertheless with a light controlled
    crossing just around the bend.

    Measurements were done for a full week from which th following is a
    summary of the data:

    - An average of 14,420 vehicles travelled through the village each
    day, 94% of them between 6am and 10pm.

    - 4 out of 5 vehicles travelling in either direction was exceeding
    the speed limit. 2/3rds of the traffic exceeding the limit was at
    least 20% over it.

    - the 85th percentile average speed (excluding the very slowest
    and fastest) was 42mph into the village and 44mph outbound. The
    85th percentile average speed is supposed to be an important
    reflection of the average driver's speed.

    - Each day an average of 174 (one hundread and seventy four!!) vehicles
    exceeded 71mph in the 30 zone!

    - The peak times for this wasn't overnight when the road was empty,
    but during the morning and evening peaks.

    The police (who attended the meeting where it was all discussed)
    categorically ruled out speed cameras either fixed or mobile. I
    guess we'll have to wait till one of our kids is killed before
    anyone much will care.

    --
    Trevor Barton

    Tags:

  2. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Trevor Barton wrote:
    > In the wake of the RAC, was it, saying that something like 50% of motorists
    > speed as a matter of course, I have some interesting results from a speed
    > check done in our village by the local county council.

    > The police (who attended the meeting where it was all discussed)
    > categorically ruled out speed cameras either fixed or mobile. I
    > guess we'll have to wait till one of our kids is killed before
    > anyone much will care.

    Write to your local paper etc with this. Also write to your MP, asking
    what the government is doing to tackle antisocial criminals.

    If the police refuse to act, I would raise merry hell.

    ...d

  3. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Trevor Barton
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > In the wake of the RAC, was it, saying that something like 50% of
    > motorists speed as a matter of course, I have some interesting results
    > from a speed check done in our village by the local county council.
    >

    > Measurements were done for a full week from which th following is a
    > summary of the data:

    [snip: very scarey stuff]

    > The police (who attended the meeting where it was all discussed)
    > categorically ruled out speed cameras either fixed or mobile. I
    > guess we'll have to wait till one of our kids is killed before
    > anyone much will care.

    Get your local varrrmuurrrs to drive through the village very slowly
    each morning and evening, with plenty of good, richly manured loam on
    their tyres, and the sharpest, pointiest implements they've got mounted
    front and rear on their tractors. Have them park up on the blind bends
    to nip into their shop for their morning paper and a bit of gossip.
    It's amazing what a ploughshare or a bale spike through the windscreen
    can do for the speeding motorist.

    A couple of dozen of those and the average speeds will tumble. And
    varrrmuurrrs have to do _something_ for the community in return for all
    the subsidy we pay them.

    Wannabe a Web designer?
    <URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>

  4. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    On 10/2/05 10:32 am, in article
    [email protected], "Simon Brooke"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > in message <[email protected]>, Trevor Barton
    > ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    >> In the wake of the RAC, was it, saying that something like 50% of
    >> motorists speed as a matter of course, I have some interesting results
    >> from a speed check done in our village by the local county council.
    >>

    >> Measurements were done for a full week from which th following is a
    >> summary of the data:
    >>

    > [snip: very scarey stuff]
    >>
    >> The police (who attended the meeting where it was all discussed)
    >> categorically ruled out speed cameras either fixed or mobile. I
    >> guess we'll have to wait till one of our kids is killed before
    >> anyone much will care.

    > Get your local varrrmuurrrs to drive through the village very slowly
    > each morning and evening, with plenty of good, richly manured loam on
    > their tyres, and the sharpest, pointiest implements they've got mounted
    > front and rear on their tractors. Have them park up on the blind bends
    > to nip into their shop for their morning paper and a bit of gossip.
    > It's amazing what a ploughshare or a bale spike through the windscreen
    > can do for the speeding motorist.
    >
    > A couple of dozen of those and the average speeds will tumble. And
    > varrrmuurrrs have to do _something_ for the community in return for all
    > the subsidy we pay them.

    You only need 4 and then you get a camera..

    The other alternative is to do the Blue Peter approach. A cardboard box, bit
    of sticky backed plastic etc. and set up a box just inside the 30 limit
    sign.

    Accidentally spill some paint on the road as well... in nice straight lines.

    A hand written 'warning! speed trap ahead' sign can also work wonders in
    slowing the traffic.

    And it is probably legal-ish to do this.

    ...d

  5. On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:35:30 +0000, David Martin wrote:
    > On 10/2/05 10:32 am, in article
    > [email protected], "Simon Brooke"
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> in message <[email protected]>, Trevor Barton
    >> ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >>
    >>> In the wake of the RAC, was it, saying that something like 50% of
    >>> motorists speed as a matter of course, I have some interesting results
    >>> from a speed check done in our village by the local county council.
    >>>

    >>> Measurements were done for a full week from which th following is a
    >>> summary of the data:
    >>>

    >> [snip: very scarey stuff]
    >>>
    >>> The police (who attended the meeting where it was all discussed)
    >>> categorically ruled out speed cameras either fixed or mobile. I
    >>> guess we'll have to wait till one of our kids is killed before
    >>> anyone much will care.

    >> Get your local varrrmuurrrs to drive through the village very slowly
    >> each morning and evening, with plenty of good, richly manured loam on
    >> their tyres, and the sharpest, pointiest implements they've got mounted
    >> front and rear on their tractors. Have them park up on the blind bends
    >> to nip into their shop for their morning paper and a bit of gossip.
    >> It's amazing what a ploughshare or a bale spike through the windscreen
    >> can do for the speeding motorist.
    >>
    >> A couple of dozen of those and the average speeds will tumble. And
    >> varrrmuurrrs have to do _something_ for the community in return for all
    >> the subsidy we pay them.

    > You only need 4 and then you get a camera..
    >
    > The other alternative is to do the Blue Peter approach. A cardboard box, bit
    > of sticky backed plastic etc. and set up a box just inside the 30 limit
    > sign.
    >
    > Accidentally spill some paint on the road as well... in nice straight lines.
    >
    > A hand written 'warning! speed trap ahead' sign can also work wonders in
    > slowing the traffic.
    >
    > And it is probably legal-ish to do this.

    LOL. Sadly, someone around the Harrogate area was nicked for doing just that
    a few months ago (the fake camera trick).

    --
    Trevor Barton

  6. > LOL. Sadly, someone around the Harrogate area was nicked for doing
    > just that a few months ago (the fake camera trick).

    Have you got a reference for that? A quick google for 'fake speed cameras'
    did bring up lots of examples of people doing things broadly within the
    law.

    I particularly like the 'scarecrow police' erected by the sides of roads,
    although the one holding up a sign saying “Go as fast you like. The police
    are never here to catch you!” maybe wasn't the best example.

  7. On 10 Feb 2005 13:10:25 GMT, Mark Thompson wrote:
    >> LOL. Sadly, someone around the Harrogate area was nicked for doing
    >> just that a few months ago (the fake camera trick).

    > Have you got a reference for that? A quick google for 'fake speed cameras'
    > did bring up lots of examples of people doing things broadly within the
    > law.

    No, it was in the local rag (Harrogate Advertiser) a few months ago but
    they don't have much of an on-line presence and I couldn't find an
    archive in their website, or, as you found, anything on the web but
    for some reason a lot of excort agencies??

    > I particularly like the 'scarecrow police' erected by the sides of roads,
    > although the one holding up a sign saying “Go as fast you like. The police
    > are never here to catch you!” maybe wasn't the best example.

    LOL

    --
    Trevor Barton

  8. "Trevor Barton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 10 Feb 2005 13:10:25 GMT, Mark Thompson wrote:
    > >> LOL. Sadly, someone around the Harrogate area was nicked for doing
    > >> just that a few months ago (the fake camera trick).

    > > Have you got a reference for that? A quick google for 'fake speed

    cameras'
    > > did bring up lots of examples of people doing things broadly within the
    > > law.

    > No, it was in the local rag (Harrogate Advertiser) a few months ago but
    > they don't have much of an on-line presence and I couldn't find an
    > archive in their website, or, as you found, anything on the web but
    > for some reason a lot of excort agencies??

    Erecting signs which impersonate traffic signs is illegal.

    IIRV the police have stated before that they don't consider fake cameras to
    be in contravention of this law- but this is obviously a local thing.

    Fake speed limit signs would be illegal, but again I think the police are
    generally OK with this as long as they show the correct limit, and are
    fairly obviously fake - which is fair enough IMV.

    > > I particularly like the 'scarecrow police' erected by the sides of

    roads,
    > > although the one holding up a sign saying Go as fast you like. The

    police
    > > are never here to catch you! maybe wasn't the best example.

    > LOL
    >
    > --
    > Trevor Barton

  9. Sue White

    Sue White Guest

    Trevor Barton <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

    >>> It's amazing what a ploughshare or a bale spike through the windscreen
    >>> can do for the speeding motorist.

    >> You only need 4 and then you get a camera..

    Yurr. You need a certain number of accidents for a speed camera, though
    I've never heard of a community going out and causing them!

    >> A hand written 'warning! speed trap ahead' sign can also work wonders in
    >> slowing the traffic.
    >>
    >> And it is probably legal-ish to do this.

    Lots of other stuff's legal or at least untraceable.

    Is parking allowed? If so, why not create your own chicane with two
    biggish vehicles? Place them so that someone doing the legal speed can
    get past without too much trouble. You can leave them permanently so
    long as they're licensed, but it's more effective to move them during
    the day/night and put them back each rush hour.
    If your commuters expect to find the road obstructed, they'll slow down
    as a matter of course.

    Why not ring the changes with some of the following:

    Is there another route "your" commuters could take? If so, try a LONG
    DELAYS sign at the junction. Reflective yellow is the only option, but
    you can pinch one from roadworks elsewhere. Your sign will be stolen
    again in about ten days.

    Once a year when the clocks go back, place a roadside shrine with tatty
    flowers and childishly-lettered placard "to Dad". There's no legal
    requirement for Dad to have died at the place where you put the
    memorial. Or to have died there yet.

    When the road's quiet, get someone to sprawl on it and paint an outline
    round them.

    Paint lines parallel with the verge but a couple of feet in from it,
    making the road look narrower so drivers go slower. This is a cheat but
    works. You could even ask the highway authority to do it officially
    with proper road paint that doesn't wear off.

    Put up a gallows, hang a scarecrow from it, fix a large sign: SPEEDING
    DRIVER.

    Have a competition for more ideas.

    --
    Sue ];:))

    What goes down must come up again - Confucius' Law of Mountain Biking

  10. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Sue White wrote:

    > Is there another route "your" commuters could take? If so, try a LONG
    > DELAYS sign at the junction. Reflective yellow is the only option, but
    > you can pinch one from roadworks elsewhere. Your sign will be stolen
    > again in about ten days.

    Legally dodgy as it may be deemed to be an obstruction. Of course, if it
    has the county councils name on it...

    Or 'borrow' a 'Police speed check' portable sign..

    > Paint lines parallel with the verge but a couple of feet in from it,
    > making the road look narrower so drivers go slower. This is a cheat but
    > works. You could even ask the highway authority to do it officially
    > with proper road paint that doesn't wear off.

    Great idea. Or just scatter a few traffic cones in the gutter.

    > Put up a gallows, hang a scarecrow from it, fix a large sign: SPEEDING
    > DRIVER.

    And a second one further down 'DRIVER NOT WATCHING THE ROAD'.

    ...d

  11. druidh

    druidh Guest

    Trevor Barton wrote:
    > In the wake of the RAC, was it, saying that something like 50% of motorists
    > speed as a matter of course, I have some interesting results from a speed
    > check done in our village by the local county council.
    > Snip <
    > About 100yds into the village fro the check area
    > there is a bend in the road - probably a 50-60mph bend if there was no
    > other speed restriction - but blind nevertheless with a light controlled
    > crossing just around the bend.
    > Snip <
    > - Each day an average of 174 (one hundread and seventy four!!) vehicles
    > exceeded 71mph in the 30 zone!

    Surely it wasn't a 50-60mph bend then?

    druidh

  12. David Hansen

    David Hansen Guest

    On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 21:42:13 +0000 someone who may be Sue White
    <[email protected]> wrote this:-

    >Once a year when the clocks go back, place a roadside shrine with tatty
    >flowers and childishly-lettered placard "to Dad". There's no legal
    >requirement for Dad to have died at the place where you put the
    >memorial. Or to have died there yet. [snip]

    >Put up a gallows, hang a scarecrow from it, fix a large sign: SPEEDING
    >DRIVER.

    Those two were the best.

    prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

  13. Sue White wrote:
    > Trevor Barton <[email protected]> whizzed past me shouting

    >>> You only need 4 and then you get a camera..

    > Yurr. You need a certain number of accidents for a speed camera, though
    > I've never heard of a community going out and causing them!
    >

    >>> A hand written 'warning! speed trap ahead' sign can also work wonders in
    >>> slowing the traffic.
    >>>
    >>> And it is probably legal-ish to do this.

    > Lots of other stuff's legal or at least untraceable.
    >
    > Is parking allowed? If so, why not create your own chicane with two
    > biggish vehicles? Place them so that someone doing the legal speed can
    > get past without too much trouble. You can leave them permanently so
    > long as they're licensed, but it's more effective to move them during
    > the day/night and put them back each rush hour.
    > If your commuters expect to find the road obstructed, they'll slow down
    > as a matter of course.

    I find that cyclists make excellent sacrificial and mobile traffic
    calming. There's a hill near me which has become a very popular rat run.
    It's also the only E-W route that doesn't involve national limit dual
    carriageways so has always been popular with cyclists. A single cyclist
    riding in accordance with the HC has great effect. Three spread out up
    the hill has a fantastic effect.

    For even more dramatic traffic calming, get yourself run over as I did.
    The road was closed for half and hour.

    > Why not ring the changes with some of the following:
    >
    > Is there another route "your" commuters could take? If so, try a LONG
    > DELAYS sign at the junction. Reflective yellow is the only option, but
    > you can pinch one from roadworks elsewhere. Your sign will be stolen
    > again in about ten days.
    >
    > Once a year when the clocks go back, place a roadside shrine with tatty
    > flowers and childishly-lettered placard "to Dad". There's no legal
    > requirement for Dad to have died at the place where you put the
    > memorial. Or to have died there yet.
    >
    > When the road's quiet, get someone to sprawl on it and paint an outline
    > round them.
    >
    > Paint lines parallel with the verge but a couple of feet in from it,
    > making the road look narrower so drivers go slower. This is a cheat but
    > works. You could even ask the highway authority to do it officially
    > with proper road paint that doesn't wear off.
    >
    > Put up a gallows, hang a scarecrow from it, fix a large sign: SPEEDING
    > DRIVER.
    >
    > Have a competition for more ideas.

  14. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Not Responding wrote:
    > For even more dramatic traffic calming, get yourself run over as I did.
    > The road was closed for half and hour.

    The things you do for your constituents! Do they even appreciate you?

    Jon

  15. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:

    > Not Responding wrote:
    > > For even more dramatic traffic calming, get yourself run over as I did.
    > > The road was closed for half and hour.

    > The things you do for your constituents! Do they even appreciate you?

    I thought everyone appreciated politicians being flattened ;-)

    John B

  16. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:
    > Not Responding wrote:
    >
    >> For even more dramatic traffic calming, get yourself run over as I
    >> did. The road was closed for half and hour.

    > The things you do for your constituents! Do they even appreciate you?

    They did re-elect him!

    ...d

  17. bugbear

    bugbear Guest

    druidh wrote:
    > Trevor Barton wrote:
    >
    >> About 100yds into the village fro the check area there is a bend in
    >> the road - probably a 50-60mph bend if there was no
    >> other speed restriction - but blind nevertheless with a light controlled
    >> crossing just around the bend.
    >> Snip <
    >> - Each day an average of 174 (one hundread and seventy four!!)
    >> vehicles exceeded 71mph in the 30 zone!
    >>

    > Surely it wasn't a 50-60mph bend then?

    The maximum possible speed is determined by the adhesion
    of the verhicles tyres, suspension etc.

    The maximum safe speed includes consideration of visibility.

    BugBear

  18. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:24:38 +0000, bugbear wrote:
    > druidh wrote:
    >> Trevor Barton wrote:
    >>
    >>> About 100yds into the village fro the check area there is a bend in
    >>> the road - probably a 50-60mph bend if there was no
    >>> other speed restriction - but blind nevertheless with a light controlled
    >>> crossing just around the bend.
    >>> Snip <
    >>> - Each day an average of 174 (one hundread and seventy four!!)
    >>> vehicles exceeded 71mph in the 30 zone!
    >>>

    >> Surely it wasn't a 50-60mph bend then?
    >>

    > The maximum possible speed is determined by the adhesion
    > of the verhicles tyres, suspension etc.
    >
    > The maximum safe speed includes consideration of visibility.

    Quite - what I meant by that is that's the speed I'd feel
    comfortable taking the corner were the road at that point
    still NSL. Also, the corner's a bit away from the position
    of the monitor, so taking the charitable view they could
    have been going a lot slower by the time they got there.

    Another datum: On Friday I was tootling through the village
    at 30 on the dot in my Mini when one of those huge great
    tipper trucks came roaring up behind me, slowed only 4 feet
    (yes, I do mean 4 feet) from my bumper, and started to flash
    his lights and beep his horn at me in a hurry up manner.
    Oddly enough, I passed the NSL signs at the end of the village
    half a mile down the road at, oh, about 15mph. Shithead.

    --
    Trevor Barton

  19. JLB

    JLB Guest

    Trevor Barton wrote:

    > Another datum: On Friday I was tootling through the village
    > at 30 on the dot in my Mini when one of those huge great
    > tipper trucks came roaring up behind me, slowed only 4 feet
    > (yes, I do mean 4 feet) from my bumper, and started to flash
    > his lights and beep his horn at me in a hurry up manner.
    > Oddly enough, I passed the NSL signs at the end of the village
    > half a mile down the road at, oh, about 15mph. Shithead.

    Might have been reportable? Perhaps if not to the police, to the "what
    do you think of my driving" number, if there was one.

    --
    Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap

  20. On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:27:05 +0000, JLB wrote:
    > Trevor Barton wrote:
    >
    >> Another datum: On Friday I was tootling through the village
    >> at 30 on the dot in my Mini when one of those huge great
    >> tipper trucks came roaring up behind me, slowed only 4 feet
    >> (yes, I do mean 4 feet) from my bumper, and started to flash
    >> his lights and beep his horn at me in a hurry up manner.
    >> Oddly enough, I passed the NSL signs at the end of the village
    >> half a mile down the road at, oh, about 15mph. Shithead.
    >>

    > Might have been reportable? Perhaps if not to the police, to the "what
    > do you think of my driving" number, if there was one.

    Sadly, it was too close to see the reg number anyway. I'd guess it
    was an independant being paid per load, and with the manner of
    driving I'd say they couldn't give a jumping shite about "How's
    their driving" :-(

    --
    Trevor Barton